Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who saw rctvlive about R.O.A.R. ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Power tools don't use lipos. Power tools use a123 cells. They are a lithium ion based cell that has a great venting system & it has characteristics which don't cause it to go up in flames if its hard metal shell is punctured. There is not a need to put plastic cases on lipos. These lithium ion cells can be charged in 15 minutes under factory specs as well, they get my vote for the best cells out there.
You guys need to stop worrying about what roar thinks and run what you want to run. Take a look at the east coast li//bl truck series. It grew from a local club thing & now there are 50+ entrants at all of their east coast series events in the class. To be honest, I would much rather run li//bl at race day then run mod. If the race director doesn't want to give out a $5 trophy to the guy who spent $1000 less on his setup then I will gladly race & not accept the $5 trophy.
If you guys want to complain about how lipos could be unfair then please tell me that when trinity matches 20,000 cells & they pick out the 200 best cells for their drivers to use that it is fair for you to race against them. With lipos they all have the same voltage. If the guy next to you is going faster then run the same motor he is running & stop whining, its a $70 motor that will last you through 4 more updates to your xray, and not a one in 400 battery pack that will only last 3 races because he charged it at a 10 amp rate that is causing him to go faster then you. This is the reason tc is dying in popularity.
The common person can't afford to race w/ racer x and his super battery pack. Lipos & bl motors will allow the common racer to run the fastest mod on the track every single week for under $400 invested in a motor / esc / battery. In the end large events, fast speeds, & long run times draw people to the hobby. When everyone runs in the same class w/ equal gear, budget minded electronics, long mains, & blazing fast motors it will help to create the initial spark that the hobby is pretty cool. If you enter the hobby on a budget w/ todays rules you will not have an equal setup and it will frustrate you that you just spent $500 on a toy car that is still too slow to compete.

Same technology, A123 would have been better to release packs for RC...at this point they look like dynamite and don't fit in anything
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some people just make it so hard. Set a guide line for the lipo so that it is legalized. Abide by the current racing min weight and thats it. We can revisit the weight limit a later on after lipo is the majority....

Party wagon if anyone in mod can consistently handle a 3.5 why limit it. It's called modified and can you should realize that ROAR pretty much sets the guide lines that club races mirrors or uses loosly so doing dyno tests is not even close to a practical idea especially when most guys are just out to have fun on the weekends....
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Lipos & nimh cells aren't fair. Lipos are able to discharge at a much higher rate then nimh cells which means you can run a hotter motor. It would take like a 10kmah lipo to equal the weight of todays nimh packs. If I was to set up rules this is how I would do it.
1. 2s lithium cell, lipo or lithium
2. any capacity battery
3.regulate the motors w/ dyno testing. Any motor that exceeds x amount of power on the dyno isn't allowed, you can make it like a gtb 3.5 or mm 7700 or something of this caliber. I'm sure this will create a bit of a shulfle to put out a motor that hits at the limited power level. Be open to testing the motors, there are a lot of companies around that have been doing li//bl for much longer then companies such as trinity, lrp, cc, & novak.
I still don't it....why the need to have a different weight class of Nimh and Lipo? If the weight requirement for a car using NiMH and Lipo are the same and there is an advantage using a Lipo because it has a higher discharge, than the racer will pick a Lipo?

How is this any different than a racer who uses a 3300 versus a 4200. The overall weight is the same, yet technology has forced us to switch to the 4200 as it has a capacity and discharge advantage.

Sounds to me as if the Lipo is the better technology. How's this...

All stock is NiMH, 19t and modifed is OPEN...nimh/ Lipo & brushed / brushless. Keep the weights the same...

why is everyone trying to re-invent the wheel by having different weight classes for the type of technology in each car.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
ok. Who is Linger? Is it possible there is a name that is connected with a screen login?

yeah???????????
Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Lord

ok. Who is Linger? Is it possible there is a name that is connected with a screen login?

Here's his profile:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/member.php?u=289

Ling posted earlier in this thread offering to consult for ROAR for a membership renewal. He's clearly interested in helping out. Hopefully he'll read this, and get in touch with you guys, or vice versa. This is likely your best resource if you're looking for real expertise from the crowd, and not just a bunch of opinions.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ling-Kang Tong
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

I think the weight limit should be raise so they can make parts beefier. Lowering the weight limit simply allows for lighter easier to break parts.

Ever seen an 1/8 buggy crash at 40mph? You don't hope it doesn't break, you keep the throttle pegged and try to make it land on it's wheels.

Touring is on an off-cycle...why we try to make rules for a class that the general RC guy doesn't want really baffles me sometimes.

Weight limit is the same for all...if you want to use 2-cells, LIPO whatever that's your choice. TOO MANY CLASSES dilutes racing.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dawn .... I'm already on it.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dawn .... I'm already on it. He's been in Japan at the Tamiya Worlds.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Carl, Dawn and others... I've been posting/suggestion/whatever the ROAR_FORUM_WEBSITE_FOR_REGISTERED_ROAR_MEMBERS idea for 2 years now and I am please as all hell that PEOPLE are finally seeing what a great asset it would be for ROAR and it's membership. You could also tie in voting as well....

I am just ahead of my time....
Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Carl, Dawn and others... I've been posting/suggestion/whatever the ROAR_FORUM_WEBSITE_FOR_REGISTERED_ROAR_MEMBERS idea for 2 years now and I am please as all hell that PEOPLE are finally seeing what a great asset it would be for ROAR and it's membership. You could also tie in voting as well....

I am just ahead of my time....
Directions please, is this something on the ROAR sire I've missed ?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
Directions please, is this something on the ROAR sire I've missed ?

not yet.. will be working towards that idea. Not really the most comfortable in ideas since most people forget good manners on the keyboard.. LOL
Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well this thread changes thing for me. My ROAR membership expired 11-11-07 (#6-92780) and I WASN'T going to renew, because I've switched to LiPo and Brushless .... But now that I've read this and ROAR is considering legalizing LiPo and BL I guess I'm going to have to renew now!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

not yet.. will be working towards that idea. Not really the most comfortable in ideas since most people forget good manners on the keyboard.. LOL
True Dawn, BUT if people's acount are verified by their ROAR membership then they can be held accountable for their actions.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
True Dawn, BUT if people's acount are verified by their ROAR membership then they can be held accountable for their actions.

No anonymity....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.