Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who saw rctvlive about R.O.A.R. ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
For Roar`s sake I sure hope I am wrong....
George,

thank you for your concern.

See you at one of the nats this year?

Dawn
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Can`t understand what is so complicated ..

Enforce the weight limit and combine both together ...
Let the racer`s decide what they wish to buy & race with....

Or just go another year like last, with a even bigger loss of membership..
Ok...perhaps you can help in this area...provide us with analysis of average weight saving between using NiMH and a Liply pack.

I think Rick said earlier that the consistancy of weight should be in the chassis. (excluding batteries) I like this idea, but the problem is this would be difficult to tech.

IMO: (and being a nitro guy perhaps someone can help me here) why not just simply keep the chassis weight the same for both NiMH and Lipo. If someone wants the advantage of using Lipo's, they need to add weight to the car...plane and simple.

Why jump through hoops trying to figure what's a fair weight differential between NiMh and Lipo's?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Power tools don't use lipos. Power tools use a123 cells. They are a lithium ion based cell that has a great venting system & it has characteristics which don't cause it to go up in flames if its hard metal shell is punctured. There is not a need to put plastic cases on lipos. These lithium ion cells can be charged in 15 minutes under factory specs as well, they get my vote for the best cells out there.
You guys need to stop worrying about what roar thinks and run what you want to run. Take a look at the east coast li//bl truck series. It grew from a local club thing & now there are 50+ entrants at all of their east coast series events in the class. To be honest, I would much rather run li//bl at race day then run mod. If the race director doesn't want to give out a $5 trophy to the guy who spent $1000 less on his setup then I will gladly race & not accept the $5 trophy.
If you guys want to complain about how lipos could be unfair then please tell me that when trinity matches 20,000 cells & they pick out the 200 best cells for their drivers to use that it is fair for you to race against them. With lipos they all have the same voltage. If the guy next to you is going faster then run the same motor he is running & stop whining, its a $70 motor that will last you through 4 more updates to your xray, and not a one in 400 battery pack that will only last 3 races because he charged it at a 10 amp rate that is causing him to go faster then you. This is the reason tc is dying in popularity.
The common person can't afford to race w/ racer x and his super battery pack. Lipos & bl motors will allow the common racer to run the fastest mod on the track every single week for under $400 invested in a motor / esc / battery. In the end large events, fast speeds, & long run times draw people to the hobby. When everyone runs in the same class w/ equal gear, budget minded electronics, long mains, & blazing fast motors it will help to create the initial spark that the hobby is pretty cool. If you enter the hobby on a budget w/ todays rules you will not have an equal setup and it will frustrate you that you just spent $500 on a toy car that is still too slow to compete.
Spot on!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Guys, stop worrying about over charging these cells. If you want to go faster then get a faster motor. There are motors available that will produce over 1000wats of power w/ a 2s lipo and there is no way any driver or car can handle that much power. That is way more power then a 1/8th on road has. Now, if you want to take a risk at melting your $800 car then go for it. I'm just going to sit back and laugh at you for melting a car in an attempt to have an extra .8 volts for 20 seconds of the race.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Lord

Please accept linger's offer for consultation, he's an industry expert, and will lead you down the right path. It's clear from this thread his expertise is needed.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

In fact, I'll pay for his membership if you take him on as a consultant, and pay for my own at the same time.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Syndr0me: who is Linger? and perhaps an industry experts opinion is needed. Perhaps he can reach out to Dawn directly.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PDX-Spike
Last night, I accidentally plugged power into my Orion 3200 LiPo incorrectly - + to - and vice versa...little popping sounds...LiPo is not working AT ALL but registers 7.4 on a voltmeter. Forced the case open and on the plug side, found a solder joint that had failed. Possibly a fail-safe device? Re-soldered and the pack comes alive again.

Not an expert on LiPo's, but wondering if my solder job could cause a safety issue with the pack. Will contact Orion and see what they say before I use it again.
Called Orion. They told me, basically, all bets are off, no guarantees. Use the battery at my own risk because other components in the case could be damaged.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
George,

thank you for your concern.

See you at one of the nats this year?

Dawn
Only thing preventing me is these battery rules....
Thus my concern.....

Thanks for you trying to understand ....
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

maybe we should all go back to racing slots
Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Ok...perhaps you can help in this area...provide us with analysis of average weight saving between using NiMH and a Liply pack.

I think Rick said earlier that the consistancy of weight should be in the chassis. (excluding batteries) I like this idea, but the problem is this would be difficult to tech.

IMO: (and being a nitro guy perhaps someone can help me here) why not just simply keep the chassis weight the same for both NiMH and Lipo. If someone wants the advantage of using Lipo's, they need to add weight to the car...plane and simple.

Why jump through hoops trying to figure what's a fair weight differential between NiMh and Lipo's?
Lipos & nimh cells aren't fair. Lipos are able to discharge at a much higher rate then nimh cells which means you can run a hotter motor. It would take like a 10kmah lipo to equal the weight of todays nimh packs. If I was to set up rules this is how I would do it.
1. 2s lithium cell, lipo or lithium
2. any capacity battery
3.regulate the motors w/ dyno testing. Any motor that exceeds x amount of power on the dyno isn't allowed, you can make it like a gtb 3.5 or mm 7700 or something of this caliber. I'm sure this will create a bit of a shulfle to put out a motor that hits at the limited power level. Be open to testing the motors, there are a lot of companies around that have been doing li//bl for much longer then companies such as trinity, lrp, cc, & novak.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
The problem is Roar cant make a rule that says people have to stop being stupid. So your still going to have things going boom.

HAHA!

New rule. Don't be stupid. If you are...DQ.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Lipos & nimh cells aren't fair. Lipos are able to discharge at a much higher rate then nimh cells which means you can run a hotter motor. It would take like a 10kmah lipo to equal the weight of todays nimh packs. If I was to set up rules this is how I would do it.
1. 2s lithium cell, lipo or lithium
2. any capacity battery
3.regulate the motors w/ dyno testing. Any motor that exceeds x amount of power on the dyno isn't allowed, you can make it like a gtb 3.5 or mm 7700 or something of this caliber. I'm sure this will create a bit of a shulfle to put out a motor that hits at the limited power level. Be open to testing the motors, there are a lot of companies around that have been doing li//bl for much longer then companies such as trinity, lrp, cc, & novak.
Actually I think it's been tested that the IR on NIMH are much lower and can supply near unlimited current.

Thing for me is the more rules the more things that get messed up and more that cheat. People like to think that equipment is to blame for them being slower. 95% of the racers just need to drive better and not worry about a faster motor.

This is why nitro is so popular. Less rules, too much power for all.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by linger
My ROAR membership has expired.
I can do free lipo consulting in return for a membership renewal.
This linger right here. He's your man if you need real, professional information on LiPo. This hobby has an expert in its ranks, and could surely benefit from his expertise during this critical time.

Have a look back through some of his LiPo posts if you need convincing. Understanding LiPo Fires 101, and LiPo Awareness are good places to start.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
This linger right here. He's your man if you need real, professional information on LiPo. This hobby has an expert in its ranks, and could surely benefit from his expertise during this critical time.

Have a look back through some of his LiPo posts if you need convincing. Understanding LiPo Fires 101, and LiPo Awareness are good places to start.

ok. Who is Linger? Is it possible there is a name that is connected with a screen login?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.