Wiki Posts
Search

New Ener-G 4600 Ni-MH Cell

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Please post how your charging them and treating them ?

Most have reported that they get better after a few runs and stay very consistent.
I charge them on a GFX Turbo 35 at 6 amps. after a run i discharge them on the GFX to 5.4volts, let them cool then bring them down to .9 volts per cell on a CTXD2 and put 1500 mah's in them. they were consistent the first 4 times but now each time i put them on the CTXD2 the numbers are different. All the talk about these batteries was they were not IB nor EP and and were going to be better and liked to be run more than once a day. When will we get a power source that will be consistent and not have to replace every big race event. For those of us that are not sponsored buying new packs adds up.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gonzo416
When will we get a power source that will be consistent and not have to replace every big race event. For those of us that are not sponsored buying new packs adds up.
LiPo are now legal.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

I charge them on a GFX Turbo 35 at 6 amps. after a run i discharge them on the GFX to 5.4volts, let them cool then bring them down to .9 volts per cell on a CTXD2 and put 1500 mah's in them. they were consistent the first 4 times but now each time i put them on the CTXD2 the numbers are different. All the talk about these batteries was they were not IB nor EP and and were going to be better and liked to be run more than once a day. When will we get a power source that will be consistent and not have to replace every big race event. For those of us that are not sponsored buying new packs adds up.
Have you cycled them on a GFX to check the numbers? If you take them and run them right off the CTXD2 after just discharging them, they will run flat. They perform better on the second or even the third run of the day. Use the cycle numbers from the GFX and not the numbers from the CTXD2 to determine if the packs have declined in performance.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Have you cycled them on a GFX to check the numbers? If you take them and run them right off the CTXD2 after just discharging them, they will run flat. They perform better on the second or even the third run of the day. Use the cycle numbers from the GFX and not the numbers from the CTXD2 to determine if the packs have declined in performance.

So do you just eqaulize in the beggining of the day. I always thought that it was recomended to bring all the cells down to .9 volts before charging to avoid false peaking?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure they where doing that on a 0-30 discharge tray. It is a straight 30a linear discharger. Isn't the CTX a pulse discharger??
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Advil
I'm pretty sure they where doing that on a 0-30 discharge tray. It is a straight 30a linear discharger. Isn't the CTX a pulse discharger??
it sounds like gonzo was discharging with the GFX and using the MMore as an equalizer which runs in linier mode when discharging down to .9 volts per cell.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Company Representative

I'm really not sure what to tell you as your routine seems o.k..

What do you mean by numbers are different on the CTX ?

Do you only run them once per race day and is it after they have been stored with charge ?

Your the first one I hear about that claims they only run strong for 4 runs. In fact some are telling us they actually get better the more you run them and I have seen cycle numbers that proves that the IR and voltage holds up really well after multiple cycles.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Company Representative

I went through some emails I got and found some results on cycles after the EnerG packs have been run by one of our drivers.

This pack was cycled 4 times on a GFX and 5 times on the track.

First cycle: 422 - 7.37 - 10.2

Ninth cycle: 426 - 7.38 - 9.7

I also remember Mike Blackstock telling me that when he cycled one of his packs after he had ran it 15 times on the track that the voltage and IR was as good as the first cycle.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I went through some emails I got and found some results on cycles after the EnerG packs have been run by one of our drivers.

This pack was cycled 4 times on a GFX and 5 times on the track.

First cycle: 422 - 7.37 - 10.2

Ninth cycle: 426 - 7.38 - 9.7

I also remember Mike Blackstock telling me that when he cycled one of his packs after he had ran it 15 times on the track that the voltage and IR was as good as the first cycle.
Those numbers are consistant with mine!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Its better to 30amp pulse discharge on teh CTX and then tray to .9 on the ctx also. The way i hear, doinga 30 amp linear discharge only get sthe pack pretty hot after a run whichi isnt good.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Company Representative

Here are the instructions and care info that come with our EnerG packs. I personally keep my packs stored with charge and then prior to using them again I discharge on a T-35 down to .90 per cell then tray the pack on an Integy 0-30 for 2 minutes then I start the charge. I only put storage charge back in my packs if I know I won't be running them in the next few days.

Before the first charge: The cells have been stored with a small amount of charge in them to help maintain the highest possible capacity. All new generation sub-c cells self discharge fairly fast. Not all cells self discharge at the same rate so it’s important to place them on a discharge tray that will bring all the cells down equally. If your tray has a cutoff, set it at .90 volts. Trays with no cutoffs that bring the cells down to zero volts can be used but it’s important to not keep the pack discharged at zero volts too long. As soon as the all the lights are off on the trays with no cutoff, you must then start charging your pack since leaving the cells at zero volts for an extended period of time will result in a drop of capacity. The pack will perform at its best after it has been run once, as the cells tend to be unbalanced after being stored with charge.

Charging: Use a high quality peak detection charger. Use a 6 amp linear charge with the peak detect (voltage threshold) set at .005(5mv) per cell. A 4 cell pack would be set at .02(20mv) and a 6 cell pack at .03(30mv). If you own a temperature gun we like the packs to peak around 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

After the race: For maximum performance it’s important to discharge the pack after a race. Discharge at 30-35 amps down to .90v per cell. This means 3.60v for a 4 cell pack and 5.40v for a 6 cell. Prior to charging the pack back up you should follow the traying method described above.

More than once per day: You can use your pack more than once per day. This will make the runtime drop slightly, but in most types of racing there is runtime to spare. Make sure to let the pack cool down for a period of 2 hours in between charges. Repeat the traying method described above prior to charging the pack back up.

Storage: After you have finished using your pack and you want to store it, we recommend you wait until the pack is cool then put 600 seconds of charge back into the pack. For long term storage (3 weeks or more) you should discharge/tray the pack then put 600 seconds of charge back once every 3 to 4 weeks. This will keep the cells from self discharging too low and keep the capacity as high as possible.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the info Danny. A suggestion.... instead of saying 600 seconds, you should consider saying 1000 mAh. (600 seconds could mean different amounts depending on the amps).
Old 01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James35
Thanks for the info Danny. A suggestion.... instead of saying 600 seconds, you should consider saying 1000 mAh. (600 seconds could mean different amounts depending on the amps).
I assume the 600 seconds is at 6.0 Amps linear charge as described above, which is equal to 1,000 Mah in that case. I totally agree with you on that one though. Everyone's version of 600 seconds could mean something else as you said, lol.

Danny, also could you describe your version of soft charge and discharge procedures, and how long of a rest in between before doing a full charge for testing purposes as I didn't see that mentioned above. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What if you're going to use the pack the next day. Do you need to charge for 600 seconds when using again within 24 to 48 hours?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Company Representative

Yes 600 seconds at 6 amps as tyhis is what we use for charge rate.

I'm not sure what you mean by soft charge ?

I use 6 amps and to charge and 35 amps to discharge all the time. You can rerun a pack after it has cooled down for 2 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.