Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Bump-ups in On-Road? >

Bump-ups in On-Road?

Bump-ups in On-Road?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Bump-ups in On-Road?

I would like to know how other racers feel about Bump-ups in On-Road. To my knowlege most on-road race programs don't use bump-ups for the mains. Recently though, in another thread I read that someone posted they felt that bump-ups should be used to better the event. Hmm?

I personally feel that Bump-ups are a bit redundant. Should'nt multiple qualifiers and tripple-a-mains be enough? Just my opinion.

What's yours.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

We've done this a couple of times for the nitro racers. Makes some sense as thay don't have to wait long times inbetween runs. Would'nt make as much sense in electric as you have to recharge, let the electrics cool down and other things like resauce the tires.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wouldn't like it at all for electric on road. Electronics need to cool, tires need to cool, need to have an extra battery charged just in case, (which with the cells we have today is just one more cycle off the life of the cells if you don't bump) and it is a bit redundant. The biggest reason for having them in off road IMO is that track conditions slow qualifying pace down a lot usually. So if you screw up one run, break, etc... you're stuck in the low mains. There, the chance to bump up is nice and the cars don't need to cool and recover like an electric TC.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Didn't they do this at the IIC's (or one of the big TC races)? From what I remember, they allowed a bump-up from the B-main into the A-main... and it actually made the B Main a more exciting race to watch.

We've tried it at our offroad electric track with mixed results. Some like it - some don't. Personally - I think it should stay as a nitro thing for the same reasons mentioned earlier.

Last edited by duckman996; 11-27-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

I race at CRC raceway and they do bump ups. The cool thing is that they run three classes (spec, stock and pro stock) and that the winner of the A main in one of the slower classes gets to bump up to the lowest main of the next faster class (spec A winner bumps to stock, stock A winner bumps to pro stock). This is all 1/12 on road btw.

I have found that getting to run against (ok, get beat into a pulp by) the pro stock guys really makes you push hard and figure out were you need to pick up speed.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
I would like to know how other racers feel about Bump-ups in On-Road. To my knowlege most on-road race programs don't use bump-ups for the mains. Recently though, in another thread I read that someone posted they felt that bump-ups should be used to better the event. Hmm?

I personally feel that Bump-ups are a bit redundant. Should'nt multiple qualifiers and tripple-a-mains be enough? Just my opinion.

What's yours.
the 07 snowbirds used bump ups
Old 11-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like the Idea for the big races. It gets rid of all the DNS in the lower mains. lol
Old 11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I think now since we have brushless motors and lipo batterys it makes it to were you can run 15-20 mins. on a pack why not have bump ups.For the most part races are still only 5mins long any way.I all for more track time.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i think at the bigger races a bump from and B to A main would be cool
only at big races where there would be time to prep the car for the next run
and i far as the motor esc need to cool etc you run the b main first of that class
ie stock tc B, then I H G F E D C A only prob be able to do at the birds, IIC cleveland type races but i think it would be pretty cool
Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slammin
I think now since we have brushless motors and lipo batterys it makes it to were you can run 15-20 mins. on a pack why not have bump ups.For the most part races are still only 5mins long any way.I all for more track time.
Yes!

You can tell I have been racing for a long time when you can say you started when most electric races did use the bump up system. It was either in the form of the winner moving to the next main, or IFMAR christmas tree style with the top 4 going directly to the main with semis, quarters, etc.

With LiPo and BL you could run back to back with very little time in between races. And the idea that you could enter main day with a chance to bump up is a pretty exciting. Qualifying is qualifying, not racing. Letting drivers race to their final finishing positions makes sense. The end results will probably not change much. But the act of racing the mains will mean a lot more to most people when they have a chance, even a small one, to make it to the main. I truly think this is a big reason nitro racing is so popular and that they do not seem to require multiple classes.

The B-mains at the Snowbirds were a perfect example of the excitment created by a bump-up race. It would be fine for any size race. Give the driver an option to bump up. If he he does not have time to prep for his next race, he can decline and accept his finishing position - no bump
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Kind of off topic but since it was brought up on this thread I don't believe longer races are the answer other then club races. You make races longer during a big event, such as IIC, it will take even longer to run and I would bet even less people will be able to get in for they would have to limit entries even further to keep things moving along with longer races. I realize the equipment is there to do it now, but it would make for a really long day more so then what we have now. This is just my opinion, but I know this has been discussed before.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Yeti35
Kind of off topic but since it was brought up on this thread I don't believe longer races are the answer other then club races. You make races longer during a big event, such as IIC, it will take even longer to run and I would bet even less people will be able to get in for they would have to limit entries even further to keep things moving along with longer races. I realize the equipment is there to do it now, but it would make for a really long day more so then what we have now. This is just my opinion, but I know this has been discussed before.
That is a good point. But if races were longer, drivers would be less likely to run multiple classes. Or promoters could restrict the number of classes a driver participates in without reducing his overall track time. So in the end it might work out even.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We did bump ups at our offroad club races this summer. We allowed the winner of each main to bump into the bottom of the next main. Made for some fun racing, as some guys that DNF during qualiying got a chance to go for gold and run 2-3 back to back mains... The issues are obvious, motor temp,tires batteries. But the way we did it was everyone knew it could be them, and it was totally optional to take the bump up if they won there race. IF they did not want to or could not get ready in time then they did not run the next main...

It made for some pretty fun times i must say.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mrrcguy

What's yours.
I think it is cool to have another chance to make a higher main. But bump-ups can lead to some rough driving.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A few weeks ago, one of the fast guys ended up in the B main due to problems throughout the day. Needless to say, he ran away with the B main by a couple of laps. So when it came time for the A, he decided to race in there as well as a "bump up." Of course, this was just for fun, but it was pretty fun to watch as he was dicing it up with all the other A mainers. So it ended up being a fun race for all. Anyways... I personally would like to see my local track apply the "bump up" format. I have seen so many days where people were fast enough to make the A, but other problems kept them in the B. So to have that opportunity to make it to the A would give them something to shoot for. But then again, bump ups are not for everyone... hints why we have the "B-Screw" term floating around...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.