Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can I run my Orion Platinum with any ESC? >

Can I run my Orion Platinum with any ESC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I run my Orion Platinum with any ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Can I run my Orion Platinum with any ESC?

I am about to receive an Orion 4800mAH Platinum Lipo pack, and I want to know if it is safe to use it with a standard ESC. I am getting an XBR shortly, but for now I am running an AE IPC speedo. Will the battery burn up my IPC ESC? I know the Lipo puts out 7.4V, but will that affect anything? I also know that the IPC does not have a Lipo cutoff, so I will need to monitor the performance of the car to watch out for the cutoff point.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

A 2S lipo pack has less peak voltage then a NiMH pack. You are not going to burn anything up using lipo. Yes the lipo will work with any ESC. The only advantage to the newer ESC's is they have lipo cutoff built-in to protect from over discharging the pack.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'd recommend a voltage cutoff module if your speedo doesn't have the circuit built in.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html

C
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Your mileage may vary, but with a mild motor, you can go a LONG time with a 4800. I know for a fact that you can do at least 15 minutes in an on-road car under racing conditions without hurting them. IMO, that's a lot of continuous track time...your eyes will probably be blurry by then...LOL

I wouldn't worry about a cutoff unless you were running a full-on mod. If you're running something mild, just charge it after every quarter hour and you're good. After a while, you'll be able to judge how close you are to dumping it by how many mAh you need to put back in.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Well I will be running stock brushed motors and ocassionally 19 turn, so run time should not be an issue. We usually run 3 heats and a main, with an hour in between each. That should certainly give me enough time to recharge to full capacity. My friend runs his 4800 with a tweaked CO27 and a GTB at least 20 minutes. The only reason why he pulls it off the track is to let the motor cool down. I mainly got the Lipo for convenience at the track. No more worrying about repeaking 5 mins before the race or swapping packs from charger to charger. Charge up my Lipo the night before and drive to the track the next morning!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

I generally use less than 1500 per 5 minute run with a 13.5, sometimes as low as 1100. I run them, then just throw them back on the charger and they're usually fully charged back up in 15-20 minutes.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Ya I can't wait to hit the track with this thing. It's going to give me much more time to tune my car instead of juggling around battery packs. I had to grind down a little bit of my 05R battery strap to get it to fit, and make the battery strap pin posts a little taller too. It fits just fine, nice and tightly.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

I have the carbon graphite chassis, so I just tape mine. Works great and then it looks like one of the fast guys' cars...LOL

It never comes out of the car, so it works out pretty well for me.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

ya it fits great now. i can't wait to try it out with the XBR i just got back in the mail from Novak. they gave me a brand new model instead of a remanufactured unit. and yes, it is brand spankin' new.

i just ground down some of the battery strap and raised the clip mounts to get the proper clearance.