R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

we have one at our shop and i tried for 2 hours to make that thing work, it cuts good now, but doesnt stop when you want it to....lol, not a good thing
manual is best
Team fun-Www.rc-trim.com-Team Speedmerchant-Team Orca-Team Br00d
flameoutgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sean R

Originally Posted by emulberry View Post
i got a lathe off ebay made by a company called "Kose" i have never heard of it before but it works excellent and it was like $70 with a diamond bit. Just goes to show that you dont need a high class name on it for it to work well
Actually Kose is the OEM for muchmore.
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kang45 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on an auto lathe Integy makes one and wondered if it any better or worse than a manual?
I have used the Integy automatic comm lathe. I bought one last year because I wanted to see if it would do a better job than a manual lathe.

Long story short... I can't say it did any better or worse than my Cobra, but I actually thought it was LESS convenient to use than the manual lathe... For one, getting the auto stop for the traverse set properly seemed pretty hit or miss... I was constantly worrying about running my diamond bit into the tabs on the comm and breaking it. I also find it a little easier to get the armature in place on the manual lathes... I use a couple of washers and a pinion on the pinion end of the shaft to keep the armature from walking back and forth in the lathe while I'm cutting, but the auto lathe doesn't allow this... that pinion end of the shaft goes into a hole in the case and you can't put a pinon on it. To keep the armaure in position, you have to stack shims up on the shaft until it just fills the space between the lathe's uprights... in the time it took to get the armature shimmed properly, I could have cut and reassembled the motor using my manual lathe.

I think if I had to buy a lathe right now, I'd go for the Cobra, with the diamond bit included, you'll save some $$ that way. Only thing I'd recommend is to order a carbide bit or two and learn to use the lathe with those before putting the diamond bit in.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote