Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak 21.5t Brushless >

Novak 21.5t Brushless

Novak 21.5t Brushless

Old 11-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

540 silver class is originally for novice, i think so.
But i have no choice when there's only Modified class instead silver can race.
I have huge difficulty to race in low traction surface due it's concrete and the track is so small, that's the point. But not only me, almost everybody are also doing the same. There's always less than 10 guys join Modified race, always running a lower rhythm in almost part of the track than silver can race, only on the straight as we saw their high speed difference, sometimes the Modified winner could run 1 lap behind than 540 one.
If the organization have held 23T or 27T i will certainly join it.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=ShadowAu;3891902]TOTALLY DON'T see the point of this motor or some of the arguments behind it.

The whole idea of 540 is that its CHEAP to run and get started in... here in Australia the motors are about $15 and an ESC more than good enough to run a 540 at club level would set you back about $50. Unless someone is about to bring out a $50 Brushless ESC then you are still looking $200+ for an ESC to run it, not to mention that, if it stays true to Novak pricing, it will be at least $100 for the motor.

QUOTE]

Well said, im not sure why the silver 540 needs a brushless equivilent. At 10-20$ a pop any currency and a 40-60$ ESC with, now lets be real, zero maint for a 540, when i started the hobby there was no info no internet we ran those 540s for years withought oil... A brushless system is in the 200$ range a far cry from the silver can with sport esc.

What we need is a ROAR Stock brushless rule PS: No need to point out wich motor to use 13.5 or 17.5... that dont matter what matters is that all the motors that classify in the roar stock rules must be built under the same rules.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

If the 540 race allow BL, i will have these set combination choices:
-Novak SS17.5T(83USD) with GTB Spread Spectrum(195USD) =(278USD)

-Speedpassion RS-540BL1(58USD) with Castle Creations Mamba Max(140USD)=(198USD)

-Speedpassion RS-540BL1(58USD) with Mtroniks Genesis Pro(180USD)=(238USD)

Of course, if i want to be competitive, could not worry so much about the budget, so first choice is the best.

As some guy said if the expert drivers using BL system will take huge advantage against novice, i think even the same motors we could have also a lot of advantage. Because the rookies nor have the know-how to put their cars to be competitive.
The main point of these kind of races is to put the car as fast as you can with the same motor: need a competitive chassis, make always maintenance, option lightweight parts in the drivetrain to be faster, save more energy and less wear for the brushes, so these all are very important to make you win.
So that's why our organizers have held also TT01 540 challenge race which are just especially for beginners to avoid mixing with experienced guys.

Last edited by mac853; 11-22-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
17.5?
I race one weekly against 13.5's. Actually there is 2 of us running those locally, and we finished 1 and 2 last week against a class of 13.5's.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...when we were looking for a slower motor...comparing it to a silver can 540 motor was NEVER an issue... we wanted what we wanted..and asked NOVAK if they could build it... They built a couple test motors and we spent most of this year testing them..and really liked what we saw and found.

We felt there was a market for them in our racing..and also tried finding other markets for them..figuring the MORE MADE - the MORE SOLD the better the price, the bigger the USED market..and everybody gets a WIN/WIN.

As far as guys using them to replace a well established class of ANY type... Don't do it..keep running what works for YOU and/or Your club and/or track....

But, for those looking for an alternative...the NEW line of motors fills a gap that had been left out....a SLOW gap.

...I raced in a 540 silver can class about 15 years ago...it was the biggest CHEATING class I've ever run...it got Crazy ugly which took 100% of the fun out of the class..and after 2 years it DIED...I still have my ONE and ONLY motor I ran in the class.

GEARING You are RIGHT about Gearing a 21.5, especially in a TC. I can do fine with gearing it in my old Belt drive TC, but my SHAFT DRIVE car won't even come close to a tall enough rollout.