Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best touring car

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Default best touring car

any thoughts on agood touring car to buy? at first i did not want one because my 10l3 blows away any modified tc its come up against-and usualy with a stock motor! but alas pan cars simply are not practical with out access to a track.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Are you bashing or racing? I would get either the Losi XXX-S, or the associated RC10 Tc3 (since you are a AE guy, I would get the tc3). Both are proven kits, and will probably still be competitive for another 3 or 4 years
Old 06-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

I'm getting a TC3 myself...I believe in the shaft. I'm so excited!
Old 06-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

make sure you get a rpm bumper with your tc3 , worth every penny
Old 06-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tip! those crashes are rough!
Old 06-02-2003, 02:34 PM
CGR
Tech Regular

I have been very happy with my TC3 but the XXXS is also a great car. I heard that the new Yok shaft car and the new Tamiya also looked great at the reedy race.

Whatever you buy make sure you can buy parts for it locally.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

The New X ray T1R is great It's inexpensive and competitive It's complete form the box and It's packaged with most of hte hop up parts you would buy aniways. The only other thing I baught was a oneway (neather the Tc3, XXS, or yok include it and are much more expensive) and rollcenter bridge. Ive been running mine for a month now and absolutely love it. I have had many other TCs before but this one tops the cake.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

X-RAY T1-R!! There is no kit that comes out of the box in a more competitive state than the X-RAY. It is also infinitely easier to build than anything other than a Tamiya car. The Associated requires some work to free up the drivetrain, lots of shimming, and reshimming, the Losi is just not that fast, unless you strap in a HUGE mod. The X-ray just falls together, everything is smooth and the car has RIP. Plus it's a wicked good handler.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
. The Associated requires some work to free up the drivetrain, lots of shimming, and reshimming, .
You mean vibrations or binding?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cypress, and anyone else:

EASY solution to get a REALLY free TC3 drivetrain:

Warpspeed Racing Blueprinted diff cases
If you are interested send an email to [email protected]

These diff cases really do help and they get the drivetrain super-free.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

I didn't find excessive vibration while building my TC3, but I definitely did some work freeing up the bearing channels in the diff housings. There's also the usual smoothing out of the suspension arms. Pretty standard stuff if you're a meticulous builder. It's really a matter of how much time you want to spend building the car. As far as "lots of shimming..." I consider that to be an exaggeration. I do suggest, if you have to means, to run in the drive train using an old motor and variable power supply (3-5 volts 30 minutes with a fan on the motor). Otherwise just expect the drive train to free up on it own after some running. Remember, the advantage of a shaft drive car isn't in total "efficiency" it is harder initial acceleration due to the direct nature of gear drives as opposed to belt drive. A HUGE caveat with the TC3 is that you don’t want to leave an excessively hot motor in the car between heats. There is the potential that you could develop a “tweak” in the right rear of the chassis. Just remove it between rounds or keep it cool if possible. You will notice a lot of pro drivers removing motors from their plastic carbon composite chassis between rounds. This holds true for Losi cars as well as TC3’s

Last edited by mushu; 06-04-2003 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

That's the beutifull part of the Xray, No hand fitting of parts. All the parts fall where there suposed to and the bearings are eaven degrased for you from the factory.