R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Replacement schedule

I have a T2 and am wondering, when and what do you need to replace after extended use.

I have already replaced the belts and have a good 5 outings on them. Otherwise the bearings, diffs and shocks are original.

I am thinking the diffs and possibly the bearings are in need of replacement.

looking for recommended bearings as well.
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

When I had my T2 a while back the only thing I really replaced were the diffs and a occusional refill on my shock oil.

Typically speaking, you won't develope a whole lot of "looseness" in your suspension. Every now and then check it but you won't get any of the sloppyness or play in the suspension. Check your CVD blatter ends as they can wear down and develope a lot of slop or just wear out and disappear! Your belts may fry or wear down as time goes on, just replace wear needed. Bearing are going to come and go. Make sure they are free as they can be for the most efficent drivetrain. Also, on your shocks if your endpoints on your radio aren't set correctly your shock mounts that attach onto your suspension arms may get dung into by your rims of your tires. If you suffer a harsh crash check your CVD's as they can bent if you hit a board. It depends on how your hit it and the force applied to it. Check your shock oils, make sure there's no bubbles and make sure it's SMOOTH and you should be good to go. Do a diff overhaul/rebuild every couple weeks and your basically set for a while.

**It's been almost 5 months since I touched a RC car but that's what I recall doing on my car. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe my info is somewhat correct.
Team Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Depending on the surface that you race on, the "replacement" schedule can vary. Back when I owned an XRay, I found that the quality of the parts allowed me to run the car for an extended time without having to replace anything. During the indoor season I would tear the car down once a month to check for damaged bearings (rear outside wheel-bearings would go bad with a good contact with a wall) and worn parts - however, I rarely had to replace anything. During the teardown, I would check and re-oil bearings - look for suspension slop, or cracked parts and change shock oil.

Unless I was in a really bad crash on the track, I would just go over the car in between qualifying or practice rounds to make sure no screws were loose, etc. Keep in mind that we race indoor carpet here in Canada (www.fastcats.ca) - with XRay being the most-used car, I rarely hear anyone complaining of having to replace parts too quickly. XRay diffs are one of the best in the business so you can go a really long time without having to rebuild them as long as you build them as per the manual.

I think rebuilding has to do with how you drive the car vs. the chassis itself. Now that I am running a Losi, I go through the same steps and also find that parts don't wear much as long as you keep everything clean. If something needs replacing, I replace it right away before it gets really bad and causes other parts to fail.

During the outdoor season, I tear-down the car after the race-day to make sure I get the small pebbles and dust off the car - again replacing what is broken or worn.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Replace them when they break!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote