R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Tire Truer

I need to get a tire Truer and was wondering what is the Difference between the one made by Hudy $400 and the Scorpian made by Integy $180. I am a local track racer and really don't want to spend 400 on a tire truer. I would like to know the diference between the two.
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

There are lots of threads on this already, but I'll save you the beating and save that for some other jerk that is going to harp on the search feature.

The Hudy Tire Truer is like the Mercedes Benz E-Class, best available. The Integy is an OK truer, but with less support and features than the Hudy. If you plan on staying with Foam Tires in TC and 1/12, than get the Hudy. A plus with the Hudy is that you can sell it a year or two from now and still get 50-75% of your money back.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The Hudy has a giant motor in it that will let you cut down tall tires in a single pass. I believe that's the main reason people like it, though it's also very high quality in many other ways as well.

In hindsight, I wish I would have purchased the Hudy. I mostly only true my tires when I'm cutting them down for the first time, and doing it in stages is a big hassle. Plus, the one I have has a lousy depth gauge.

Thankfully, with most tires coming pre-trued, now, I can set my cheaper truer to my final depth, lock it down, and do everything in one pass. So the pre-trued tires have made the situation a little better. I still regret not spending the extra money on the Hudy, though.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I had an Ofna, Corally (Ofna), and Integy truers and none of them cut as well as my Hudy does. I didnt get the fully automatic, I use the one with the crank and it is awesome. Get the carbide bit and the measurements on the tool will still be accurate. I would have gotten the 110 volt version and just plugged it into the wall but it was on backorder forever so I opted for the standard 12 volt version. Definitely worth the extra few bucks, and I still dont see a need for the fully automatic insanely priced version aside from the fact that it's cool. In other words, the Integy is a Chevy, the Ofna a Pontiac, and the Hudy a Cadillac. The Hudy Manual truer is like a standard Deville while the fully automatic is a loaded Escalade. Hope this helps and sorry to ramble on so long.....
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote