Wiki Posts
Search

PCM no good for Electric Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by RickyIS300
If they're so good, how come none of the top drivers are using PCM in electric?
Well, currently only Futaba and JR produce PCM radios.....of the sponcered drivers Airtronics sponcers about 2/3 of the feild at any major race.... leaving the other 1/3 of the field to JR, Futaba, and KO...... SOOOOO what are your chances of seeing a sponcered driver running a PCM radio?????

Also remember only a select few drivers are fortunate enough to be able to pick and choose their sponcers so the vast majority of sponcered drivers have to take what they can get, or whoever offers a better deal.......

BTW: 2 of the fortunate are Josh Cyrul and Musami Hirosaka.... both KO guys....
Old 06-01-2003, 01:19 AM
Tech Adept

Very true and good points, but the very best driver in the World can choose to use PCM if PCM works better for them. PCM has been around for many years and they've been sucessful on airplanes and gas cars. I just haven't seen any top driver use it on their electric car, it's a fact. Keep in mind that FUK_WRX is looking for the best possible perfomance, he didn't ask if PCM would work okay on his car.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:20 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default PCM run away car

contrary to all those about pcm, i did had a run away EP car with PCM. Was tesing the car at home when it just went forward. I had set the tx such that its was "Steering 0, Throttle -100, battery failsafe ON". Intially tot i had blow the rx or something. Finally realise that it was the battery that had gone dump. Had not really tried the rx yet after that incident. Anyone else had this problem? Btw i was using 3pk with PCM1024, Mc 330cr and Type T.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RickyIS300
Very true and good points, but the very best driver in the World can choose to use PCM if PCM works better for them. PCM has been around for many years and they've been sucessful on airplanes and gas cars. I just haven't seen any top driver use it on their electric car, it's a fact.
While it may true that not many pros are using PCM, a: it isn't usually something that is advertised in hot pink lettering so it isn't a readily ascertained fact and b: most drivers (I think it's more than 75% from casual observance around here in SoCal) are using and have been using the M-8 which doesn't have PCM capabilities.

Add those two elements together and it's not surprising to observe few PCM drivers out there.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Couple of things......PCM has NOTHING to do with ability of the radio to send and receive.......it DOES have EVERYTHING to do within the radio & receiver on HOW it sends, receives, & PROCESSES the input. PCM = PULSE CODE MODULATION......simple terms..the radio sends coded information to the receiver.......and samples that the code was sent & received every so often. Futaba does not give out it's proprietary information.

As far as comparing what the sponsored drivers run....um...Futaba has maybe 2 drivers in the US that they sponsor...at least that I know of. Airtronics? How high can you count.

I have been using PCM since 1987.......with NO radio problems.

If I chose to, I can run an electric motor WITHOUT capacitors on it......and not get a glitch....believe it or not. Now...when running like this....others will have problems.....
Old 06-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just bought the 3pk last week and am very impressed with it. I bought the PCM version, but I am using regular PPM(FM) mode in it in favor of my NOVAK synthesized receivers and Hitec synthesized module (which fits right in and works!).
Old 06-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Proficar403
I just bought the 3pk last week and am very impressed with it. I bought the PCM version, but I am using regular PPM(FM) mode in it in favor of my NOVAK synthesized receivers and Hitec synthesized module (which fits right in and works!).
Yeah, that's what's great about this radio. You can choose which receiver you want to use and as long as you have the right crystal in it it works. I use my 3PK in FM(PPM) mode with my Novak XXtra and Hitec DCX dual conversion receivers and the PCM mode for the Futaba P113 1024PCM receiver. I also use the Hitec Spectra module and have not had a glitch or hit yet where users of KO Mars R and M8 are all complaining about getting hits in the same spot at this one track I race at. The spot is the furthest away from the driver's stand and may have something to do with their problems but I don't have any so I don't care.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

AreCee: Radio problems are funny things, where I run All the guys using 3Pk's on 75 mhz complain about a hit right at the end of our sweeper. The 75 mhz KO and JR guys have no such problem. The 75 mhz JR and Airtronics guys get hit pulling out on to the straight (section furthest from the driver's stand). KO guys, regardless of band, have no issues. It has so much to do with the environment around the radio. Some brands are more sensitive to high tension power lines, some have issues with chain link fencing. Radios are finicky devices.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Cypress: The funniest part is that it's usually the consistent wall bangers that get the most "hits" even when they have the same radios. I think that many glitches are transient and environmental as you've said. Over the last 15 years of racing, using AM radios and FM I've encountered very few actual radio glitches. That's using a Futaba Magnum Jr AM, Airtronics XL2P AM, cheap Airtronics AM, Hitec Lynx 3D FM, Traxxas TQ AM and now a Futaba 3PK FM & PCM. I've used receivers from Tekin, Novak, Futaba and Airtronics in AM and Hitec, Novak and Futaba in FM and still getting clean signals to them, though I did retire all the AM gear a few years back.

One time I could have sworn that I was getting a hit but it turned out to be the body rubbing on a front tire only in one turn that caused the problem, a scissors fixed that "glitch". I've seen people driving cars with their bodies dragging on the ground yelling out that they are getting radio hits, you would think that the body dragging would cause a handling problem but they blame it on glitches. Go figure!