Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norway suspends Electric RC racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Blown Battries

We just had a rash of batt blowing up also and now have a dedicated gharging rack at the track . All the many years of racing and all the racers here that we have raced with we never had aproblem before , seems like its the Cs doing all the exploding . Think maby the MFG have made a bad batch or the amfg cut corners or the are using dif materals to save a buck . Just some thoughts as this has just started happining at this level
Just some thing to think about
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Duratrax Ice has 0mV, and I use it. Any more and the pack gets damn hot at the end of the charge, as the charger pumps power into a pack that is fully charged. All that power just turns to heat - not good for the chemicals inside.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Can you even get matched packs of 3800's anymore?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billjacobs
The battery wasn't in an insulator. The battery was on top of the foam block. The block is similar to the trinity battery stand.

I love how everyone always blames the user of the batteries, as if everyone here watches the batteries charge. It takes 30-40 minutes for a battery to charge, much of the time, the driver is no where near the battery when it peaks. Even though the instructions tell you to watch the batteries and never leave the batteries while they are charging, who actually does this?

A better idea is to use batteries that haven't shown a propensity to blow up.
Did we have these problems with the gp3300? How about the issue of the batteries self discharging overnight and going bad? Or a good number of single cells in a pack simply dying after a few cycles or new out of the box?

The facts are simple. IB and EP have pushed the limits of the sub-c shape and size too far. The result is a fragile battery that cannot handle the repeated high amp charge and discharge cycles. Add to that the messaging of the batteries by the matchers, and you have the problems we have now. But instead of going back to 3300 and 3800 batteries, the push continues to 4600mah, etc.

When brushless racing takes over brushed racing, you simply won't need the capacity that these batteries have for a 5 minute race. Since brushless is so much more efficient that brushed, a good 3300 or 3800 pack will be plenty.
If it was on top (rather than inside), that's fair enough.

I recently changed from unbranded stick packs to building my own. I don't need the max runtime (carpet racing stock motor). I looked around the forums and read posts about IB and EP cells being fragile. I decided to go for GP3700s.
I charge them at 2.5A, 20mv peak (for the pack), 40 degrees cutoff. The max temp reached is usually 15 degrees above ambient.

Last edited by clockworks; 11-09-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Well I don't think many could do any worse than we have now.

The Goverment should worry about other things going on in the world like lets say off the chart gas prices, heating oil prices, lack of jobs, illegal aliens, and so on no some freaking R/C car batteries. I can see are congressmen debating on that subject..........can you see the smoke now......oh wait it was an IB4200 blowing up and starting a fire.
"The Government" didn't do anything here!!

It was the Norwegian Federation that banned electric racing. The Norwegian Federation is not the government...it is simply a sanctioning body just like ROAR!!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

So Ole, you tell me what the official press release from the Norwegian Association means...

All it says to me is that they are waiting for the EFRA list to come out. Other posts by Norwegian Association members says they hope this will be by January. You tell me what they are actively doing to investigate this problem. If I read it on the Internet, then it will be true.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did you see the part about EFRA saying you can NOT direct solder batteries to any electronic devices?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

@SlowerOne: That the press release does not cover the work beeing done to uncover what has happened, why and how to improve the safety in races, does not mean that nothing is beeing done...

Since no officials have said what the federation is doing to investigate, you automaticly presume that nothing is beeing done...

Well, since you havent told us wether you called your boss today and told him you quit your job, like I told you to do, I'll just presume you did.
So now you are officially unemployed. You know its true, you read it on the internet.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Did you see the part about EFRA saying you can NOT direct solder batteries to any electronic devices?
Yoy have to use plugs, and it can not be a battery bar and the plug,

The heat are killing the cells, you can not solder direct any more on the cell
or the battery bar.

Alf
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alf.skaar

or the battery bar.

Alf
That makes no sense. My cells get way hotter from running than they ever have from soldering and de-soldering the wire to the battery bar
Old 11-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

I believe EFRAs intention is to allow a rapid way of disconnecting the battery pack in an emergency.

It is a safety precaution rather than concern about heat from direct soldering onto a battery bar.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alf.skaar

or the battery bar.

Alf
The reasoning behind not allowing direct soldering is exactly this

Originally Posted by sosidge
I believe EFRAs intention is to allow a rapid way of disconnecting the battery pack in an emergency.

It is a safety precaution rather than concern about heat from direct soldering onto a battery bar.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OleC
@SlowerOne: That the press release does not cover the work beeing done to uncover what has happened, why and how to improve the safety in races, does not mean that nothing is beeing done...

Since no officials have said what the federation is doing to investigate, you automaticly presume that nothing is beeing done...

Well, since you havent told us wether you called your boss today and told him you quit your job, like I told you to do, I'll just presume you did.
So now you are officially unemployed. You know its true, you read it on the internet.

Love this one!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ole, that is the most pathetic post I have ever seen. I did not read the Norwegian Press Release on the Internet, so I assume it's true. It does not say that anything is happening. What's your conclusion?

I do not need to tell my boss I am fired, as I am my own boss. I make about $350k per year, live in my own house in 30 acres of land and drive a very expensive car. So, as you can see, I am not fired and I am not out of work. I'm guessing you have to work for someone else, who can fire you, which is so 20th century.

Which still doesn't explain what the Federation are doing apart from waiting for a list. I think if you have your own stereotypes of people who post on here, it would be better if you didn't tell everyone what they are, and then be shown up to be a pillock!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
I make about $350k per year, live in my own house in 30 acres of land and drive a very expensive car.
You drive a very expensive car?

You are a god!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.