Norway suspends Electric RC racing >

Norway suspends Electric RC racing

Norway suspends Electric RC racing

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skiddins
No they aren't.

I understand that the voltage sags when a load is applied.

I wasn't talking about the 'drop' while the cells are in use but the supply voltage, 7.2 v's 6V.

Take a DC motor, put it on a Dyno and increase it above the rated voltage, the Amps will increase, which means so does the power output.

This effect was used a lot in Robot Wars, take a 12V motor then supply it with 24V, the current will change in proportion to the voltage doubles, so the overall power QUADRUPLES and of course it's life expectancy plummets.
But the reverse is true, if you reduce the volatge to the motors, the current will decrease aswell which means a drop in power.

As I said before, electric motors do not have the same rules as most electronics.

Skiddins
Skiddins you are not correct. I do not want to take this too long.

The power you use in a RC car is pulled by the motor from the batteries. Is not pushed by the batteries to the motor. So this is not a questions to put a motor on a dino and aply diferent voltages.

I will just put this simple. In a RC car you have an installed power supply lets say 7,2v and 4200mah.
With a 27t motor with no pinion on it and you can full throtle the radio and you will be there for 2 hours until the batteries go flat. It will long because the motor has no load and so is pulling just a few amps from the batteries.
If you put in the car a pinion of let's say 20T then you will be able to drive the car not very fast but for lets say only 30 minutes. You easily understand this and it happens because now you have "loaded" the motor and it is taking more amps from the batteries.
But if you mount now a 30T pinion your car will be like a bullet(Ok a small one) but you will able to drive it for only 10 minutes, and that is because now you "loaded" even more the motor. It is taking now a lot of amps from batteries and as the motor converts those into work it will drive faster because it will have more power-Watts.

this is why you concluded right that with gearing up comes less time to drive.

But now you can understand that if you do this with a more powerful motor (less turns) you will be able to do every thing like before but all the runs will be shorter, because the motor will use more amps from the batteries to convert those into watts, you will drive faster but less time.

Then come the situation where instead of using the 7,2v ans 4200mah you will using 6v 4200mah. You do all the same and everything will happen as before but you will notice that the same 27T motor will now drive the car slower but problably the same time.

But if you take for example a 19T motor with those 6v you will notice that if you gear it high you will be able to drive as fast as the 27T with 7,2v that is because you would be able to match the power-watts. Now you will understand that you have done that pulling more amps from the batteries and so you will drive as fast but less time.

This is what happens with 5 and 6 cells and mod motors,taking the right motor you will be able to drive as fast but always less time. It is physics.

My calculations just show this.

Sorry to bother the rest of you with the long text
Old 11-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

info just published by the BRCA here in the UK
Old 11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

WOW I feel stupid.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PDM

The power you use in a RC car is pulled by the motor from the batteries. Is not pushed by the batteries to the motor. So this is not a questions to put a motor on a dino and aply diferent voltages.

I will just put this simple. In a RC car you have an installed power supply lets say 7,2v and 4200mah.
With a 27t motor with no pinion on it and you can full throtle the radio and you will be there for 2 hours until the batteries go flat. It will long because the motor has no load and so is pulling just a few amps from the batteries.
If you put in the car a pinion of let's say 20T then you will be able to drive the car not very fast but for lets say only 30 minutes. You easily understand this and it happens because now you have "loaded" the motor and it is taking more amps from the batteries.
But if you mount now a 30T pinion your car will be like a bullet(Ok a small one) but you will able to drive it for only 10 minutes, and that is because now you "loaded" even more the motor. It is taking now a lot of amps from batteries and as the motor converts those into work it will drive faster because it will have more power-Watts.

But now you can understand that if you do this with a more powerful motor (less turns) you will be able to do every thing like before but all the runs will be shorter, because the motor will use more amps from the batteries to convert those into watts, you will drive faster but less time.

Then come the situation where instead of using the 7,2v ans 4200mah you will using 6v 4200mah. You do all the same and everything will happen as before but you will notice that the same 27T motor will now drive the car slower but problably the same time.

But if you take for example a 19T motor with those 6v you will notice that if you gear it high you will be able to drive as fast as the 27T with 7,2v that is because you would be able to match the power-watts. Now you will understand that you have done that pulling more amps from the batteries and so you will drive as fast but less time.

This is what happens with 5 and 6 cells and mod motors,taking the right motor you will be able to drive as fast but always less time. It is physics.

I'm going ot have to read this afew times.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Why? He pretty much explains it in the most clear way possible.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PDM

thats the same in the old days in 4wd offroad 6 and 7 cell
i miss 7 cell
Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Just In
Updated news regarding NiMH 4200 cell faults.

The Intellect Battery Co. have now supplied the following cell Batch No's., which may contain cells that could explode when subjected to ‘race type’ conditions :-

ARAET, AZCWT, BNCWT, BNDST, BRAET, BZAWT.

We must stress that the Batch No's. detailed have been compiled only from returns by European customers to Intellect. There may be other batches that we have not yet been notified of. (So, do not assume that if a Batch No. is not detailed above, that it does not have any problem cells within it). Some EU drivers obtain cells directly from USA, etc. and it is possible that batches outside the EU could also be affected which have not been notified to us.

Intellect supply the same cell in 'Customer designed shrink'. Intellect has not confirmed if the same Batch Codes are used on these versions of cells. Most of the reports that have been received appear to be relating to cells in the Intellect shrink. Hopefully the above information will cover most of the problems.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Just a thought!

Hey anyone ever think maybe this was a plan,set into action? Lets make some JUNK cells, and lets really promote Lipo's. (sales) I wonder what company owns what company?????? Think about !!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry,that was not to be here....
Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well interesting read. . know, can someone give me back my hour that it took to read this whole thread from the beginning. .

I guess time will tell what we will end up using.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

all this referencin of helmets makes me think of somethin carlin said in that "

"There is too much emphasis on safety and safety equipment: childproof medicine bottles, fireproof pajamas, child restraints, car seats. And helmets! Bicycle, baseball, skateboard, scooter helmets. Kids have to wear helmets for everything but jerking off."

R