R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Bring back the old days and keep it simple...Stock or Mod...19T has just screwed everything up.

Since brushless will take over in a few years...

13.5 for Stock

Anything below 13.5 for Mod
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

I don't think it's just "19t" that's breaking up classes....I race offroad and we have novice, where everyone races together (buggy and truck) then sportsman, novice+ then stock with respective, stock buggy and stock truck....then super stock or 19t whichever you want to call it, then mod.

Novice and sportsman should be put together right off the bat. I think sportsman is the dumbest thing ever developed for a class...if you're not novice, you're stock or more. Why thin the classes just because someone is too fast for novice and not quite fast enough for stock? go to stock and learn to drive!

19t seems to be the hottest class at my track though, by far the most competition.
Chris Woods

TQ Racing Wire
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #18
Tech Master

mafiaracer... do you know when I will receive my pitboard?
samstheman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default racing turnout

I think this thread is not really about running 23t or 19t or 27t, it is about the abysmal turnouts for club racing at one of the east coasts best indoor carpet tracks. (The track in gaithersburg, md)

I think the best solution is to figure out why turnouts are so low and increase them. That way, you would have a full heat of 27t and a full heat of 19t.

1/12 scale racing really hasn't grown in many years. You have the same faces year after year who run for a few months, then turn to touring cars. Touring car turnouts have been dying for several years now.

For touring cars, I think the problems are:
1) the cars and parts are too expensive to stay competitive and for what you get
2) it takes too much time, money, and too much effort to be competitive -> Is it really worth $60+ (for race fees, tires, consumables, parts, etc.) to spend 7 hours at a race and drive the car for 20 minutes (4, 5 minute races)
3) things that would make r/c simpler (brushless and lipo) are constantly put down and frowned upon, when they should be embraced
4) classes that are fun are constantly put down as for kids, and classes that require too much effort are put onto a pedestal

Did I miss anything? For some, I am not a "diehard racer" who will do whatever it takes to compete. Fine, I'm not, but I bet there are a lot more like me than there are diehard racers.

I love r/c cars in general, but I don't have the drive or desire to spend the time and effort required on r/c to be really competitive. I like many others have the money to buy whatever I want, but I don't think it is worth it. R/C is a hobby, it is not a life and death pursuit for domination of the world.

If you want turnout to go up, start classes that require minimal maintenance and let racers drive more. Nitro has been steadily gaining racers, while electric has been losing them. Do you think the fact that nitro doesn't require constant battery and motor maintenance and has longer races, has something to do with it? If you go to a high turn brushless class (17.5), with lipo and rubber tires on carpet, I think that would bring turnout up but what do I know.

By the way, the main reason I don't race foam on carpet is I can't stand to be around the traction compounds and motor sprays in a closed area with little to no ventilation for any length of time. If you ventilate the facility, I don't care if the carpet will be 10 degrees colder if it means I can breath cleaner air in a room full of racers all using traction compound and motor spray like it was water. Of course I am the only one who cares about this.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote