changes to the front suspension
Attached Thumbnails Kawada Sigma SV10-ph_up8.jpg  
Old 12-19-2004, 11:55 PM
sac
Tech Regular

Default sigma 2

new smaller and lighter rear hub
i will post more picture's later!
to see all the new picture's go to Kawada japan site ,the kawadaracing site(U.S site) will have them posted soon !
Attached Thumbnails Kawada Sigma SV10-ph_up10.jpg  
Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On the Japanese site you can also download the manual - shows you just how many new little features the car has like:

dirt/debris covers for the diffs

adjustable length arms

moveable motor mount (by 7mm)

some odd dirt/debris protector for the spur gear (still haven't worked this one out yet )

metal threaded inserts for the front steering hubs

Looks like a great car
Old 12-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

I am now seriously considering this car - but I want to know what's the spare parts support like from the US importer and do they ship overseas? I'm in Australia so we get most stuff from overseas, as long as the stores will ship to us

Has anything been mentioned about tuning parts/options for the new car like the rear brace, different suspension blocks, springs, etc? Can you use other springs on the Kawada shocks?

Finally, can you get different front hub carriers to change the castor?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Take a look at www.evolutionhobbies.com. They keep a healthy supply of parts for the Sigma and Alcyon.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

I went to that site but it seems they only show the cars - or am I not looking hard enough
Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Their sites are going through some upgrading and repair. The main address for info on Kawada is www.kawadaracing.com. It should be completed soon. Hopefully I'll be first on the list to buy the new Sigma 2 !! hint, hint.........You guy's at Evolution listening !!??

bender, take a good look at the Kawada cars.....I've found my Alcyon to be very innovative and rock tough. Qualities that got me in to Tamiya also but the Kawada has some very trick yet very common sense mechanicals. I also have no doubt that Evolution is prepared to support them fully. Parts for my Alcyon are easy to get.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My experience with Kawada has been somewhat disappointing. I bought one of the first Sigmas in the U.S. and while Evolution Hobbies tried very hard to get replacement parts for me they just never came through. I waited for months and never heard a word or got an email. I even emailed Kawada and they told me that Evolution didn't even have an order in for parts. I believe Evolution DID have an order in and that Kawada has a piss poor supply system. The other thing is that the Sigma1 was replaced by the Sigma2 rather quickly and none of the parts are interchangeable which makes me wonder when the Sigma3 will be out. After being in this hobby so many years I should have known better. As for the car it wasn't too bad. I had an Alcyon and was impressed with its quality but found the Sigma, while good, not to be as good. I found that my Sigma had an uneven rear toe and couldn't be fixed until I made a new mounting plate for the rear toe block. When I emailed Kawada with this problem they told me in their best broken english that I was wrong.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

That's a bit worrying about the service but perhaps there are other places you can buy parts?

I know there is a store in Singapore which stocks kawada stuff and will ship overseas - I will have to find the website for it.

As for the difference between the Sigma 1 and Sigma 2, I have downloaded the manuals for both cars and there is not a lot of difference between the two - only a few key parts which have been improved or changed - most of the expensive chassis and drivetrain parts remain the same.

A question to those who have owned both 2-belt and single-belt touring cars. How efficient is the drive train on the sigma?

I have been doing some efficiency modelling of various drivetrains as I've always been skeptical of the turns in the single-belt design but so far I have concluded that it is at least as efficient as a 2-belt design, but with less mass in the layshaft and diff areas. Plus having the diffs centralized in the bulkheads is better for both drivetain and overall car balance.

I would like to hear any unbiased thoughts on how this cars drivetrain stacks up to any previous belt drive they've owned.

I've also noticed that Losi's new tc has reverted to a 2-belt design - though in this case it seems that they have done this to accomodate the motor/battery layout they have chosen, and not for any efficiency gains.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM
sac
Tech Regular

Default Kawada parts Sigma2

jag88
retry Evolution Hobbies by email again ,the website has been inconsistent due to a software issue with there host server,and they DID NOT get all there emails during that time.it's working know but they are switching to a new website host soon and thats why information has been kept short!jag88.did you buy the kit fron Evolution Hobbies?
As for the rear toe I have only heard of one person with that issue (it may be you ,but not sure).The Sigma is built different than the alcyon ,but the quality of parts and stuff is just as high .
as for the comment abought the Sigma 2 coming so soon ,just remember even thou it has been in the U.S for about a year ,it has been out for over 2years in Japan .and as everybody knows people always want to see a new kit after 2 years(even if it's not needed) .Drive train on the Sigma will match up against any belt drive .Kawada is sticking with the single belt because they feel it is the better drive train.
Even thou it may seem like there are minor differences between the Sigma 1 and Sigma 2 those changes are big.also for the people worried about weight the Sigma2 will be lighter out of the box!!
sac
Old 01-03-2005, 11:57 PM
sac
Tech Regular

Default parts

jag88
one more thing ,parts from both Sigma's will interchange!!!
I know it's hard to understand due to the translation on the Kawada home page in Japan ,but it does say they will interchange .So you can update the Sigma 1 if you want,without having to buy a new Sigma 2 .
sac
Old 01-04-2005, 06:25 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by bender
That's a bit worrying about the service but perhaps there are other places you can buy parts?

I know there is a store in Singapore which stocks kawada stuff and will ship overseas - I will have to find the website for it.

think the store u mentioned is roor hobby. here's their link.

http://rotor.com.sg/
Old 01-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

sac, yes I bought my car from Evolution.
As far as updating, it looks expensive and probably pointless because it looks to me just by your pictures that I would need new arms (front and rear), frt ' c ' hubs, str'g arms, rear uprights, new top plate, new chassis (?) and new shock towers (frt and rr).
Might as well buy a new kit.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:46 AM
sac
Tech Regular

jag88
true it may be easier to buy a whole new car but i just wanted to point out that the parts will interchange .The Sigma 2 will be slightly higher price than than the Sigma 1.
that's all.

sac
Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default kawada parts

hey i wanna run a kawada sigma 2 im also in australia but i heard that speed tech rc have them also u can get the from kawada them selves (if ya know how to ask that is )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.