Wiki Posts
Search

Oneways, what's enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Default Oneways, what's enough?

Hi,

I notice that there are many different oneways for belt drive car. Center oneway, front, rear... etc.. is it necessary to get all the oneways to get the max cornering speed? or just one is good enough. Meaning... what is really necessary???
Old 12-20-2001, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i have a tc3 with a GPM center 1-way and my friend drives a tc3 with both the center 1-way and associated front 1-way. we have essentially the same setup and when i drive his car, it seems a bit smoother in the turns. we run in a high speed sweeping track and we seldom brake. the reason im only running the center 1-way is because the original one from associated is too expensive. i got the GPM unit from HK for approx. $ 10-15 only. if i have enough money, i think i'll go for the dual 1-way setup because it feels smoother. plus, ill have a spare ball diff when i replace the front.

with my other rc, an mr4tc, it has dual oneways and it seems to have more steering than my tc3. but then, im using different setups and that car has a different suspension geometry so i cant really compare between the two. the only downside to having oneways is that you really have to be careful when you brake or you might spin out.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I had a hard time understanding one-ways, and this article helped clear a few things up.

Hope it helps.
http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/oneways.asp
Old 12-21-2001, 07:58 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It depends on what car your driving and in what situation. There is no definite answer as to whats enough.

On my Corally, I tend to unlock the one way when I'm on an large, open track, that I'm sure I wont need heavy breaking on. Otherwise I stick with full time 4wd. The one way does help to give my car more steering, and of course the Front one way would give it even more steering, but haven't needed that much as of yet.

On the other hand...

When I drive my Schumacher, the car absolutely doesn't need a one way. It has more steering than I could ever use, even without the one way. No matter what type of track I run on.

So as you see, theres really no simple how much is enough, it all depends on the situation.

Also, something else you need to consider. One ways have their bad sides too. Just about every car out there that uses one ways (especially the front one ways!!!) is prone to damaging them. Just ask the guys that run Kyosho's new KX-One car.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yup. kxone has big one way issues.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:02 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Darkseid
..................Also, something else you need to consider. One ways have their bad sides too. Just about every car out there that uses one ways (especially the front one ways!!!) is prone to damaging them. Just ask the guys that run Kyosho's new KX-One car.
Thats why its always best to go for 6mm one-ways rather than 4mm!
Old 12-21-2001, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

dtm,
What different 6mm and 4mm?
Old 12-21-2001, 09:42 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

6mm one ways have 50% more contact area than 4mm. This allows for more rollers in the bearing to grip when it is in the locked direction. There is less chance of it wearing and failing. On some 4mm one ways they use 2 bearings on each side to compensate! You will find 6mm one-ways on pretty much all GP cars running over 1hp engines.... these don't fail..... 4mm would not stand a chance in this application!

Last edited by dtm; 12-22-2001 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Oneways, what's enough?

Originally posted by TRF-Powered
I notice that there are many different oneways for belt drive car. Center oneway, front, rear... etc.. is it necessary to get all the oneways to get the max cornering speed? or just one is good enough. Meaning... what is really necessary???
Both the center oneways and front oneways do the same thing under coast or braking conditions... they allow the front wheels to freewheel instead of brake, which provides more steering response.

Under power, the difference is that a car with only a center oneway has the diff in front which allows a lifting inside wheel to spin away the power, while a front oneway equipped car still drives the outside wheel fully even if the inside wheel lifts.

Trips
Old 12-22-2001, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks,
dtm.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Oneways, what's enough?

Originally posted by Trips
Under power, the difference is that a car with only a center oneway has the diff in front which allows a lifting inside wheel to spin away the power, while a front oneway equipped car still drives the outside wheel fully even if the inside wheel lifts.

Trips
Wow cool I didn't know that, thanks Trips.
Old 12-25-2001, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Center oneway: Gives more steering entering a turn, by taking away front braking. (Think of it as jerking the handbrake of a fullsize car entering a turn)

Front oneway: Gives more steering entering a turn, by taking away front braking. Gives more steering exiting a turn, by applying full power to both front wheels. It allows the front end to pull the car around better.

Rear oneway: Say Whaaaat????
Old 12-26-2001, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JeffC
Front oneway: Gives more steering entering a turn, by taking away front braking. Gives more steering exiting a turn, by applying full power to both front wheels. It allows the front end to pull the car around better.
Naaaah, not excatly. Most is correct, but a one-way diff only apply power to the outer wheel. This is due to the fact, that the inner wheel spins faster than the outer. Therefor it simply freewheel.

Basically, a one-way diff contains two one-way bearings, one for each front wheel. There's no true differential in it.

One-ways, what's enough?

Depends.

The short one: One-way diff is more drastically, than a one-way pulley. The great difference is more on-power steering. Each increase drivetrain efficency. A combination is very efficient.

One-way pulley allow front-wheels to freewheel. So entering corners on-throttle, makes almost no difference. Off-throttle, you get maximum grip for steering. At a certain point, the rear wheels tends to spin faster than the front. So a one-way pulley gives also extra top-end and acceleration. True front differential is still working. With a one-way pulley, there's some friction from the belt/diff, and therefor still a little braking in the front.

One-way diff is already explained above, but will also give an little extra acc. and top-end.

Combining the two of them will give extra efficiency, since the front belt/axle and most of the pulley and front-diff will simply stand still at a certain point.

No one uses oneways in the rear.

Adjustable one-way pulley; You can adjust from full 4WD to full one-way pulley and anything in-between. But not if combined with a one-way diff :-)

In my opinion, one-ways are nice on large tracks, but the increased steering is the real point. Especially on small tight tracks.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:10 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Cole Trickle

..............This is due to the fact, that the inner wheel spins faster than the outer. Therefor it simply freewheel.
It is the outer wheel thats has a larger circle to cover, therefore, will have to spin faster than the inner wheel!
Old 12-27-2001, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

u guys helped me understand one ways better. i sort of knew what they did but u guys explained them well. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.