R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #31
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default 1 more thing

No offense to tamiya because I own mini's, trf415, and used to own a ta05, but anyone comparing a ta05 to an xray, cyclone, phi, etc, is out of their minds.

Sure you could hopup the ta05 with every possible hopup and it might be ok, but then you would have a $500 car which is 1.5 to 2 ouces heavier than the competition and where the diffs move in the bulkheads. If you really want a tamiya car, get the 415msxxxx whatever used for $200-$225. Tamiya tub cars are fine for specific chassis classes, or if you buy a new one for $150 and don't plan to hop it up, but getting a ta05 and then hopping it up is a complete waste of money.

And to those that say they beat a top level racing machine with a plastic car, add up the hopups in your ta05 and I can almost guarantee you that you have a $400 car that is still 90% plastic (although reinforced plastic.) Plus, if you want to change the rear toe, you have to buy new blocks at $10 a pop. If you want to change the width, you have to buy a pair of new blocks for $20.

Which car is the best deal?
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 AM   #32
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

"The best car is always going to be be the one that you DON'T own."

What I mean by this statement is that you are always going to think that another chassis is going to give you that magical 2-tenths that you are looking for to race with the big-boys. Fact is, any of the latest chassis's from the past few years is going to be very competitive at the club and national level. Even at the world level, on occassion, Marc Rheinard is using a 5 year-old 415 to race and is doing pretty well with it.

My opinion, if you have the Pro-4's and the spares, race these cars and spend the money on new packs and motors. If you've already raced the cars, you should have a rough feel for how to set them up ... I doubt moving to another chassis is going make you a National Champion unless you have the skill to match - if that's the case, you could race pretty much anything and do well with it.

Just my $0.02 after personally playing the chassis of the month game myself and finally settling down to learn the dynamics of one car.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #33
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

another vote for the corrally phi, it is an awesome car. Or the TC5 it is a great car also, It seems a little sensitive with foam tires on it, but It should get better . I think it will be awesome by the time the winter is over.

Either car is great, tc5 is particularly good on rubber tires on carpet.
No sponsors. Love TLR, OS and Futaba though
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #34
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

"Also, having the batts all down the center is counter productive." Too funny Offroad cars have been like this since the start of time, seems to work. Throw a lipo in a type R, put your ballast where ever you want, watch how productive the chassis really is.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #35
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

HB Cyclone is my favorite and I've owned an Xray 007. Many of the suspension parts are the same as the Pro 4. You could keep some parts from the pro 4's and save some money.
Hot Bodies Cyclone
Xray T2 007
KO Helios
Duratrax ICE
porschejim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #36
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to slammin

Originally Posted by bigair View Post
I didn't race at all this last year, and i have two complete HPI Pro4's from the period.
They were running in the a-Mains (stock rubber) most of the time. Now, two years later, I'm sure the "state of the art" has improved since then. So, My choice of new cars will be limited to whatever the local tracks support.
My question is, what should I buy to replace a full set of Pro4's?

bigair - http://www.TurningColorz.com
Cyclone uses the same suspenison parts as the pro 4 so you if you got extra arms and stuff laying around then you could use them.
RC Addicts AR
Serpent 811be
Serpent srx4
Serpent srx8
Serpent 811te
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #37
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC

Originally Posted by Team Ash View Post
My question is, what should I buy to replace a full set of Pro4's?

bigair - http://www.TurningColorz.com

Why? You have 2 of them so spares are not an issue. Like everyone else says, its not just about the car. You are used to setting up and driving the pro4 so keep it until you see another car you like. I think you will be surprised how competative it is. It should still be up towards(if not at) the pointy end of the field. Dont be suckered into buying someone elses choice of car.

cyclone... most of the hpi pro 4 suspension can be used as spares.
Corally RDX PHi, Novak Brushless, Futaba 3GR, KO Propo 2413, E-Power 4500, Full Throttle Motorsports.

"You aint going fast enough, if you aint Full Throttle"
Currently slow due to : Bad thumbs and no motors :P
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote