R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-24-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
transmitter nicd battary discharging?

I just bought a Futaba 3PJS radio system and it has a Nicd battary pack instead of alkalines. Does anyone know if this radio has an alarm that tells you when the battary drops below a certain voltage? I havent been able to find anything in the manual, but I did find a function when I was flipping through them that said "alarm" and it has a percentage that said 75% next to it that was adjustable. I'm guessing this is the voltage alarm function, but I'm not sure..... What is the voltage when the battary is fully charged? Someone said it would be 11.7, is this right? Here's my main question, when the battary gets below a voltage level that I think is safe (or an alarm goes off), how do I discharge the pack so I can recharge it? Should I just leave my radio on all night? Or can I hook it up to something that will discharge it? What ever way I discharge it, it probably shouldn't have too high of an amp draw because that's not what the battary experiances while racing, or does that matter? I don't want to just continually repeak the pack because it will develope memory..... which isn't good . Any input will be very helpful. How do you guys do it?
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Default transmitter nicd battary discharging?

I have the 3PDF (similar) and the alarm goes off at 8.7 Volts. I always charge every weekend anyways, so voltage is never an issue for me. The 3PK alarm goes off at 8.5 volts, so yours is probably around there too.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Mine goes off at 8.5 volts. When I was reading the later pages (around page 100 or something) I found that, and the alarm function I found was actually just a setting for the pitch of the beeps. You don't bother to discharge your Nicd's before you recharge them? Or do you have Nimh battaries? I don't want to have my tx pack develope a lot of memory and than suck .
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:46 AM   #4
Tech Elite

I definately recommend a discharge from time to time. Even with NiMh's. I'm using Varta AccuPlus 1100 mAH in my KO Presto. They perform much better, if I discharge them before charging. Both capasity and voltage improves, compared to not discharging them.
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote