R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Anyone want to help out a newbie? (need car recommendations)

Hey guys, im new to the boards. I've been tuning cars for a while, but never RC cars.

I'm wanting to buy a relatively quick, good looking RC car for under $100 (preferably closer to $65). Im sure you can spend thousands but this is just a starter car. As of now I've been researching on my own but thought i would tap into the wisdom of the boards. I want the shell to be a track car, something like a Mercedes CLK GTR or a Bently Le Mans Speed 8.

Im sure you are familiar with the two, but thats the general look I want. Any ideas??
kingm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Bentley or Mercedes body style

Never seen those models offered in a car body. ANY scale. 1/10th scale GTP comes to mind with the Lola and the Nissan.Check Protoforms website for GTP bodies for sedan cars. "Pan cars " bodies ,too.1/10 scale.
ddd228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I can compromise on the body, any exotic car would be fine, but track would be perfect. Getting the base and car for that amount seems like a stretch (but im looking at the HPI RS4 which i would assume is top of the line). What would you do if you wanted to build a good looking, decent performing car (by newbie standards) for about $65?
kingm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

At that price point, you're definitely buying used equipment. The HPI line of RS4 cars is a good bet for entry level use. Keep this in mind, nearly any car can go silly fast. The speed comes from the battery, motor, and speed controller combo. Are there any local tracks near you? Hang out on a race day and pick the brains of the fast guys!
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'll be the first to tell you that even if you only plan to spend 65, that’s probably not going to happened.

You said your are a noobie so I’m assuming you do not have batteries. Rechargeable Batteries and charger will cost you a good portion or all of 65 dollars depending on what you get. Trust me when I say, its not a good idea to buy alkaline batteries. Batteries do not last long; we are taking minutes for electric car or a few hours for transmitter and receiver

Still, cost for repairs will add up quickly if you are not careful and the saying goes, you will break something

The only thing $100 dollars can give you is a Mini Z (1/24 scale). I have seen someone in this forum sell a brand new mini z with a F50 body for 110... And that’s dirt cheap for this hobby. Keep in mind, mini z are still hella fast and fun, check the youbue videos of them.

If you want something normal, aka 1/10 scale you are going to have to get used. Still If you decide to buy used rc car remember, that 99% of the time, you will have to put more money into it. It could be something small like screws or something big like a new engine. Regardless, something will always come up. Still, i have yet to see a ready to run, hobby grade car with everything you need car for 65 bucks. Just be careful, a used car cost can quickly add up to a brand new car in no time.

Also HPI are great but I wouldn't call them Top of the line. They are one of many good companies.

Consider doing more research or saving more money. If you had to get something now with minimal amount of money, I tend to lean toward mini z, but keep in mind rc cars can get old if you are racing by yourself and mini z aren’t the most popular.
a1m80t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

100.00 and under is mini stuff(1/24 and 1/18) you might want to post in that forum.
1/12 and 1/10 start at a higher price point.
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TurboT

Buy a used TC3 or TC4. You can get those for around $100. Then you'll have to get a body, radio, tires, ESC, servo, etc. However, you may be able to find a deal on a used ready-to-run on ebay.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

try this website for shells
its got a seleen s7 and nsx which look like track cars to me. as for chassis best bet would be a tc3 or something like that 2nd hand on ebay. my mate started with one and it was absolutly solid. he hardly ever broke it. if your looking at a $100 car though that is ready to roll id say more $150
thats what i think anyway but you never know you could walk along to a track and find a bargain

when i went racing nationally this guy was selling a t2'007 rolling chassis for 50 bargain or what and he gave me it for 45
josh castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper
Default Tamiya has this available F103GT

minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote