R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Driving styles (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/18688-driving-styles.html)

zoombie 05-22-2003 07:18 PM

Driving styles

I'm just wandering what is the faster driving style:
1) Smooth i.e. ease into the corner without braking OR
2) Aggressive: Brake late and accelerate out early

i find that driving it smoothly make the car alot easier to control where as aggressive driving can make the car rather unstable because when u break hard the sudden change in momemtum cause the car to be a bit unstable

How late do you guys break when u go into corners ? I have a stock motor and when i practice the aggressive driving style I break very late maybe around 1 m b4 the corner and its a 180 degree corner.

StephenSobottka 05-22-2003 07:21 PM

Both methods can be fast depending on what class you are racing. But the aggressive style like u said can be very hard to do consistently and you may be hitting things more often actually slowing u down more.
I personlly drive my car very hard but smoothly. its hard to explain.

zoombie 05-22-2003 07:32 PM

stock class...wat is the best for stock class ?
How late do u brake Trinity ?

StephenSobottka 05-22-2003 07:43 PM

i dont brake at all, i just roll into the corner by letting off the throttle. but i drive in harder than most people and set my car up to work for this. Yes it is stock class. Smooth is preferred in stock

ZigZagRC 05-22-2003 07:47 PM

in stock touring, i ball all the way to the corner break then get back on the trigger and pull through the corner. i guess that could be considerd agressive.

In mod, i dial more drag break into the car and i let off the trigger and let the car slow itself down about 3-4 feet before a 180 even grab a little brake.

if your car's setup right you can drive that way and be fast.

~Zig

zoombie 05-22-2003 07:49 PM

zig,
wat do u mean by you ball all the way ?

Steevo 05-23-2003 02:44 AM

I used to be a very agressive driver.
I used to come in hard and use maximum brake just before the corner and throw the steering and apply full throttle early after entering the turn. I would get a little loose sometimes coming out of the corner but I had the technique down to an art.

Now with my TB Evo II with front one way, I just back off the throttle coming into the corner make the turn and apply smooth throttle again once the car is pointed straight again.
I find this better than driving with my agressive style. It took a little getting used to but I am glad I took the time to do so..

Steevo:tire:

Cole Trickle 05-23-2003 03:06 AM

I'm driving in stock class, rubber tires on carpet. You can see the track below. I'm running a one-way diff.

I dont brake and coast into the corners. Then I apply throttle as early as possible. In stock class, there aint much to do to raise top speed. Acceleration takes time, so faster corner speed is very important.

However, driving line means even more than the brake versus coast technique.

http://www.hillrace.dk/intrack2.jpg

Tom 05-23-2003 03:09 AM

in stock, i try to drive all the way into the corner, then, just as i get near the apex, back off and let the car turn around then hit the throtle

but it all real depends on the track, like i mean the above only works out of other corners not comming of the straight

for the faster type you should just glide in to let ur cells and motor a break and charge the power cap

Steevo 05-23-2003 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I'm driving in stock class, rubber tires on carpet. You can see the track below. I'm running a one-way diff.

I dont brake and coast into the corners. Then I apply throttle as early as possible. In stock class, there aint much to do to raise top speed. Acceleration takes time, so faster corner speed is very important.

However, driving line means even more than the brake versus coast technique.

Hey Cole,
Skol :)
is that how you spell it... My Danish consists of about 2 words but you might know what I mean:smile:

rough512 05-23-2003 03:17 AM

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
In stock class, there aint much to do to raise top speed. Acceleration takes time, so faster corner speed is very important.

Hmmmmm....

A golden nugget of wisdom... Why did I not think of that. Like Steevo, I'm also starting to like the TB Evo2 and am adjusting my driving to better take advantage of the car. The EVO2 is heavy, so I your advice will really be of help

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Steevo 05-23-2003 03:23 AM

Originally posted by rough512
Hmmmmm....

A golden nugget of wisdom... Why did I not think of that. Like Steevo, I'm also starting to like the TB Evo2 and am adjusting my driving to better take advantage of the car. The EVO2 is heavy, so I your advice will really be of help

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Hey rough512,
How you doing??

Persist with the Evo II its worth the effort:D I have had to really adjust my driving style to suit the front one way but after making a few suspension/ spring and sway bar adjustments it just gets better and better. Its easier on the motor too because you don't brake:smile:

rough512 05-23-2003 03:35 AM

Yup I'm sticking with this car now, although I sometimes find myself dreaming over the Yokomo SD and now the HPI 4. The problem with the EVO3 diffs is just a big putdown.

I think I've got a pretty good setup now with Yellow Front/Red rear. This suits my bumpy track just fine. I did not get to test Blue Front/ Yellow rear last saturday since I wrecked my left front knuckle too early.

I got the car at 50/50 front/rear weight distribution. I dropped the aluminum servo mounts and steering arms to save weight...

Now to get back to the topic.

I drop to 50% throttle approaching the corner, then on midcorner, gradually press on the throttle. I have the throttle at 100% as I exit the corner. I sometimes see the car straighten by itself exiting the corner just by using the throttle.

Does this mean I got the right setup now?

Cole Trickle 05-23-2003 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Steevo
Hey Cole,
Skol :)
is that how you spell it... My Danish consists of about 2 words but you might know what I mean:smile:

We spell it "skål" - but I get the point, and thats more important :D

Whats the other word you can ? :blush:

Steevo 05-23-2003 03:43 AM

Originally posted by rough512
Yup I'm sticking with this car now, although I sometimes find myself dreaming over the Yokomo SD and now the HPI 4. The problem with the EVO3 diffs is just a big putdown.

I think I've got a pretty good setup now with Yellow Front/Red rear. This suits my bumpy track just fine. I did not get to test Blue Front/ Yellow rear last saturday since I wrecked my left front knuckle too early.

I got the car at 50/50 front/rear weight distribution. I dropped the aluminum servo mounts and steering arms to save weight...

Now to get back to the topic.

I drop to 50% throttle approaching the corner, then on midcorner, gradually press on the throttle. I have the throttle at 100% as I exit the corner. I sometimes see the car straighten by itself exiting the corner just by using the throttle.

Does this mean I got the right setup now?

Sounds pretty good to me...
I am currently using Yellow springs in the rear and Blue in the front. Seems to handle quite well.

Stick with the Evo II rough. Its good to dream but in the end it just costs too much money to change cars all the time.. I have bought up on spares for my Evo II including a spare lower deck chassis. I intend to use this car for a long while yet...