Driving styles

Old 05-23-2003, 03:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
We spell it "skål" - but I get the point, and thats more important

Whats the other word you can ?
Hi Cole,
All the Danish words I know relate to eating and drinking. I had a Danish Friend who used to take me along to the Danish club for smorgasboard nights where we used to have about a 15 course dinner and heaps of Schnapps and Tuborg... Thats where I learn't the word skål. Over and over again all night....Boy was I sick (not from the food)

Anyway I'm getting hungry thinking about it....

Back to the driving talk

Steevo
Old 05-23-2003, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Steevo
Sounds pretty good to me...
I am currently using Yellow springs in the rear and Blue in the front. Seems to handle quite well.

Stick with the Evo II rough. Its good to dream but in the end it just costs too much money to change cars all the time.. I have bought up on spares for my Evo II including a spare lower deck chassis. I intend to use this car for a long while yet...

Steevo

I also have in stock a lot of breakable parts but no chassis. I dont want to think about breaking the chassis

How do you handle sharp U-turns (PVC barriers)? do you even attempt a 2wheel drift around the corner or coast around the corner? Currently, I try to break and slide the rear around then gently put on power as this is followed by a right turn...
Old 05-23-2003, 03:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rough512

I also have in stock a lot of breakable parts but no chassis. I dont want to think about breaking the chassis

How do you handle sharp U-turns (PVC barriers)? do you even attempt a 2wheel drift around the corner or coast around the corner? Currently, I try to break and slide the rear around then gently put on power as this is followed by a right turn...
I don't want to think about a broken chassis either but they are getting very hard to get over here so I thought I'd better grab one while I had the chance..

As far as hairpin turns go I just coast in and take the turn and when I'm pointing where I want to go I accelerate. I find it better to ease the throttle after a sharp turn so I don't get the rear end loose..

Steevo
Old 05-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default Coasting in...

Do you let go of the throttle or keep it at a certain percentage?

I have my brake reduced down to 80% but I can see the car slide whenever I let go of the throttle.

I think my "coasting" throttle is 50% (guesstimate)

I read in the "Faster Corner like pro" thread a while back about pumping throttle while going around corners. Anybody here doing that?
Old 05-23-2003, 04:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Coasting in...

Originally posted by rough512
Do you let go of the throttle or keep it at a certain percentage?

I have my brake reduced down to 80% but I can see the car slide whenever I let go of the throttle.

I think my "coasting" throttle is 50% (guesstimate)

I read in the "Faster Corner like pro" thread a while back about pumping throttle while going around corners. Anybody here doing that?
For a hairpin I let go of the throttle but for a less severe corner I just back off enough to get me around without spinning out.

I have not tried the "pumping method" I have heard that a lot of drivers do use it though. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow and let you know... I am testing a new set up on the Evo II tomorrow. If it goes well I'll PM you the set up

Steevo
Old 05-23-2003, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Its what you like personally. And if you like or want to drive agresive then you need to be able to control it.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Coasting in...

For a hairpin I let go of the throttle but for a less severe corner I just back off enough to get me around without spinning out.

I have not tried the "pumping method" I have heard that a lot of drivers do use it though. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow and let you know... I am testing a new set up on the Evo II tomorrow. If it goes well I'll PM you the set up

Steevo
Ok thanks, I'll wait for the PM then.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Coasting in...

Yep.

These things have helped me getting faster:

* Well kept car, that dont "fall apart"
* Free the drivetrain.
* Removing restistance in wiring.
* A setup that suits me. The setup should be close to my edge, but not closer than it's still predictable.
* One way diff - disable the autobrake on the ESC, alternatively adjust the throttle so the car crawls just a little.
* Floating drivingstyle, that is, dont slow down too much, so it takes unnessecary power/time to accelerate.
* Get the right driving line.
* STAY OUT OF CRASHES WITH OTHERS !
* Dont "self-crash".
* And prepare your mind for the race !
Old 05-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Both methods can be fast depending on what class you are racing. But the aggressive style like u said can be very hard to do consistently and you may be hitting things more often actually slowing u down more.
exactly!
that sums up my driving style...in stock the smoother the better...in mod i kick it up a bit and drive aggressive but i am still super smooth with the car. i like to set my car up to where it will go anywhere i point it. i prefer a loose rear as opposed to a car that will push. that way i can drive my smooth line and be very smooth with the car, yet its aggressive on the track...hope you understand that