Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T2 '007 setup question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default T2 '007 setup question(s)

I just built my Xray T2 '007 (US FOAM) a few days. Today I finally got to the track. I have a few questions about setups if someone could help me address.

Current setup information:
The car as it sits right now is setup to the manual for the US Foam edition.
The rears are fully coated in traction compound. The fronts are coated with traction compound with only the outside quarter of the front tire(s) exposed to no traction compound.

The track in nature is of high grip.
What I noticed when I was driving the car today, it was pushing through the corners.

Questions:
To correct the pushing through the corners what should I adjust first?

Little off topic question.
When I rebuild/clean a electric motor, what cleaning solution should I use? Electric motor cleaner is what I've been using, but is there a more cost effective method? What Bearing drops do you recommend for after cleaning the motor?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Sgrios
I just built my Xray T2 '007 (US FOAM) a few days. Today I finally got to the track. I have a few questions about setups if someone could help me address.

The rears are fully coated in traction compound. The fronts are coated with traction compound with only the outside quarter of the front tire(s) exposed to no traction compound.

What I noticed when I was driving the car today, it was pushing through the corners.

Questions:

When I rebuild/clean a electric motor, what cleaning solution should I use? Electric motor cleaner is what I've been using, but is there a more cost effective method? What Bearing drops do you recommend for after cleaning the motor?
There are lots of ways to gain steering. You could try 6 degree c hubs to gain more on-power steering, or add compound to half or even 2/3's of the front tire. Which tires are you using by the way? Magenta's all the way around will give you lots of steering. Tires will be your biggest tuning step. You need to get the right compound for your track before you change anything. Your best bet would be to talk to the guys in the '007 thread (http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...29570&page=116) or try a set up for a high traction track from Xray's website.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm loving this setup:
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...1&setup=t2_007
Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm running, Paragon with Jaco Double pink/orange two stage up front. With Jaco Double pink in the rear. I would also classify the track as a technical track, with high traction.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sgrios

Questions:

The stock setup is what I just went back to and it's good in any condition, high bite at IIC to our new carpet at home med. bite. The biggest difference you will notice is how much you dope the tires and what tires you run.

Running pinks or magentas all the way around makes the car very nervous on high bite and is hard to drive for a new driver. A car that pushes is easier to drive than one that turns right into the corner. A few guys at our club have been running purple fronts and dbl pink rears. Not quite as twitchy but more responsive than dpo's.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Any roll bar front or back?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I to have the same exact condition, I to just brought my 007 out for the first time this past week and am running the same tires. I have been looking threw the XXXmain booklet to see if there was a stand out fix. Nothing really that stands out but there are many many different areas that can be changed to help relieve the problem. I am thinking on my next visit to the track to bring the rear shocks to the inner most holes on the shock tower as this is an adjustment that can address the issue in a small amount, also move the front shocks to the outer most holes in the shock towers. I will be trying one at a time to se what happens if anything, and if I am not happy with the results I will be returning to stock and trying something else.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Until I get the setup worked out a bit, I've found that if you don't turn the wheel more when under-steer has set in helps. I plan on adding some more traction compound to the front tires first to see if this makes it more tolerable for my driving style.

What would be the next best plan of attack? Spring rates/ shock damping?

Thank you all for your help thus far, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

I was running the same amount of compound on my tires and for the most part the traction was great, I found that if I was to let off threw the corners the car was holding like glue but as soon as I tried to go just that little bit faster the car would either push into the corner and loose rear traction or if I was to get on it to soon the car would just go very wide out of the corner.

There are many changes that will help with these issue as I think you are also going threw these problems. Springs and Dampaning are some of the many changes but before I start going threw those changes I am looking to see what changes I can make on the car that take no more then a moment. This will also give a better understanding as to what these changes work and whats just not enough.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Have to keep me posted. I'll spend most of my free time at the track tomorrow, working on a setup. I'll post back for sure.

Last edited by Sgrios; 03-25-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

LOL awsome, I have an 88 Notch which I have been reworking. Just finished a repaint (Black ofcourse) and alot of new items to bring her back up to date (windshield,gastank,breaklines.....you get the picture LOL) as for the motor it has a B-303 cam Cobra intake,65mm TB with Mass air conversion. I am looking to throw a set of AFR185's on this winter to prepare for the blower when that time comes. Many other things done to the cars but mainly detail items just to clean it up.

As for the 007 I will only be back at the track on Thursday, so I will get back then when I see how the changes work out.

Very cool man very cool

Sean
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Play with the droop. Try more rear droop and less front
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the tips Budman. I'll give that a try for sure.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Good idea, I am interested in how this helps you so please keep us posted.

I am in the middle of a total tear down to clean everything up.