R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   novak smart tray se issues (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/186071-novak-smart-tray-se-issues.html)

turboxrayt1fk05 10-14-2007 07:57 PM

novak smart tray se issues

Has anybody has or had any problems with the new smart tray SE , i'm having an issue with it , it would beep continuesly and the lights would go out:flaming: until battery is taken out and it would stop discharging even when discharge hold mode is on or off and i cant get it to work at all even with different packs.......... :confused::confused::flaming::flaming:

stuey 10-14-2007 11:40 PM

good luck getting any fix for that i had a smart tray the lights would come on but would never discharge sent novak emails rang them i still have had no reply (18 months ago)i think the service for novak is crap and the products arn't that good either i decided the best thing to do with it is to drop kick it to the rubbish tip :flaming::(:(:confused::flaming::flaming::flaming: :flaming::flaming::flaming::flaming:

Ashley Cobb 10-15-2007 01:36 AM

Dude, novak have a good exchange/warranty service.

also, their products are very reliable.

turboxrayt1fk05 10-15-2007 06:23 AM

i just wanted to know if anybody are having this issue and if novak know about this issue with the new smart tray se ,,, novak does have a good customer service and warranty service as far as i know.....

CShearburn 10-15-2007 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by stuey (Post 3766176)
good luck getting any fix for that i had a smart tray the lights would come on but would never discharge sent novak emails rang them i still have had no reply (18 months ago)i think the service for novak is crap and the products arn't that good either i decided the best thing to do with it is to drop kick it to the rubbish tip

That is complete garbage. You had ONE bad experience with a product (supposedly) and you flame Novak about not only their service but their products? I think the cases where someone couldn't get a hold of a Novak employee within 24 hours of a problem with their product in all the years they have been involved in R/C racing can be counted on one hand. For you to post this is pretty bold especially when I bet 99% of everyone here knows better. :mad:

Not only is Novak product line top notch their customer service is tough to beat also.

Originally Posted by turboxrayt1fk05 (Post 3765584)
Has anybody has or had any problems with the new smart tray SE , i'm having an issue with it , it would beep continuesly and the lights would go out:flaming: until battery is taken out and it would stop discharging even when discharge hold mode is on or off and i cant get it to work at all even with different packs..........

Forgive me if you've tried this... but did you make sure not only the negative/positive polarities of the cells match but the battery bar locations match also? On the top an bottom of the faceplate of the tray you'll see white bars that should match the location of the battery bars IN ADDITION to the positive/negative locations of the cells.

Also go ahead and turn the thing on in hold mode (with power off, hold the button down and then plug it in). That way when a cell is done it holds it for you while the rest finish.

Steve Weiss 10-15-2007 08:04 AM

turboxray,

I would check that your input voltage getting to the tray is adequate. If you have access to a voltmeter I would check to make sure that it's outputting 12-15 V... if it drops towards the low end of this or below it it can cause little glitches like what you seem to be experiencing.

Stuey,

Sorry for your troubles in trying to contact us ... I know we've had some email filter problems with some free email servers out there ...but usually those emails just bounce right back to the sender...they don't just "disappear" into limbo letting you think that we're just ignoring you.

Also, you should be able to talk with someone here at 949-833-8873 at some point durring business hours here which are 8 AM - 5 PM. Technical support is open between 9 and 10:30 and again from 3 - 4:30.

dizzy1 10-15-2007 09:41 AM

I had the same problem last year at the Cactus, the tray just beeped and didn't discharge, it was caused by the AC adapter not providing enought voltage. I talked to Charlie at the race and he said to run it thru my chargers power supply, instantly fixed the problem. Never had a problem since. Just ditch the AC power supply if there is a lot of people racing and draining the AC power from the track.

turboxrayt1fk05 10-15-2007 11:30 AM

i just tried it with a different AC power supply and is working find so far

RaceAce701 10-15-2007 11:30 AM

wow this thread had me scared :eek: i was just about 2 pick one up the i saw this im glad the answer can be that simple :sweat:

Yeti35 10-15-2007 11:57 AM

I run mine into my distribution block which gets power from my PS. I have never had a problem doing it this way with either the first gen or the newer SE tray.

Kenny L 10-15-2007 12:30 PM

I have had mine lock up being plugged into my power supply. Lights stay on and it drains battery down below .9 . I know of at least 2 other people in my area that have the same thing happening to them too. :deathstar

stuey 10-15-2007 02:20 PM

sorry to be so negative about the product but that was how i felt maybe if i get a spare £100 i may try a novak product a again as for the fault with my smart tray does any body know what it could be.

turboxrayt1fk05 10-16-2007 05:16 AM

[QUOTE=Steve Weiss;3767000]turboxray,

I would check that your input voltage getting to the tray is adequate. If you have access to a voltmeter I would check to make sure that it's outputting 12-15 V... if it drops towards the low end of this or below it it can cause little glitches like what you seem to be experiencing.

i tried it with a different AC power supply and worked fine now the question is would it continue to work ? with out freezing up:confused:

hicheef 10-20-2007 08:37 PM

Mine Too

Mine is < 1 year ols and does the same thing. Now my problem is how do I get more that 12.16 V outofmy 28A Power Supply? Time for a new Power Supply?

Kevin

carbon madness 10-20-2007 09:33 PM

I have the smart tray SE, and the slot on the far left doesn't seem to be doing anything. The rest of the tray works fine, but that one part doesn't seem to be dischargeing. :confused: Also I haven't used it nearly 6 months, as I havent had the money to send it in for repairs since I bought it 4 months before it had the issue. Maybe it was just an issue with some of the first batch of tray's, or just some freak issue. :confused: