R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Questions?? Hobbico 905 charger for a Venom 4200?

My current charger takes about 1hr 30min to charge this battery. A friend loaned me this one. Will it work ok with my battery and not damage anything? I'm new to R/C, so I have no clue. It says it will charge 6/7 cell batteries, but I don't see the individual batteries as it's all in one. Also, it only has 15 min on the charger. Will it get a full charge in just 15 compared to 1.5hours on my old charger???

cjcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The short answer is: NO!

MY RANT: These timer chargers should have been buried with mechanical speed controls back in the 80's, not only do these things not charge your battery completly they do not do it safely either, they where dangerous with nicads and still dangerous with nihm batteries.

The reason: There is no peak detection software on this charger, it simply goes for 15minutes at a time. At it charges at a mind numbing 3.5amps wich would take 1.2 hours or just under 5 cranks of the 15 minute dial(asuming you started with a discharged pack). When your battery back is worth more then the charger you have to stop and ask why?

Sorry for the rants. I just cannot beleive in this modern age of technologly that those chargers are even allowed to be on the market.

Get your self a peak detection charger with adjustable delta peak values if you can or at least one that is nihm compatible.

Here is one cheaper then that hobbico that wont burn down your house:

ITs a bare bones charger but its ac/dc and has peak detection software that will charge nihm or nicad
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote