R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   i need help with my TC4 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/185866-i-need-help-my-tc4.html)

RoseTuned 10-13-2007 12:09 PM

i need help with my TC4

ok i did what the instructions said. i am running my tc4 with the stock 72spur 48pitch using the 21pinion. the motor im running is a peak racing 10x2 double raven S.

the book sais with a stock spur using a 21 pinion with this motor but its getting very very hot. to the point where i can even touch the motor for even a second. does that mean i need to use a smaller pinion. all i have is an 18 so i might need to hit my local shop to get more. ive tryed a 22 on it and it didnt do what its doing now with the temp's.

also i had on the motor a heatsink will that cause heat. there is no fan on the heatsink.

car setup
tc4 with lots of blue aluminum
stock rear diff no locked or anything
front one way
ride height is 5.0 front and 5.5 rear
running rubber tires on asphault (Very Rocky)
no motor limit novak racer ESC using the stock team ass servo, receiver and radio.

i have different size batteries but im running whip-lash 4200's 6 cell packs and trinity 3000 6 cell packs

RoseTuned 10-13-2007 02:13 PM

anyone?

mb racer 10-13-2007 02:37 PM

your gearing sounds to be pretty good .. if your motor is getting very hott !!! could be too much wheel spin . with the surface your running on .. be nice on the throttle . and take the heat sink off your motor so it will breath better .. and ad a fan to the end bell ...Also chk here for gearing info ... www.gearchart.com here you can make a gearing chart . so you dont have problems ... HAVE FUN RUNNING YOUR TC4 !!!!

RoseTuned 10-13-2007 02:54 PM

its getting wicked hot. i took the heatsink off. i have not been nice on the throttle. im trying to go to max speeds so ill gun it over and over again.

i dont understand the gear chart. these are numbers based on all the pinions i own at the moment.

72spur 48pitch / 21pinion = 8.57
72spur 48pitch / 22pinion = 8.18
72spur 48pitch / 18pinion = 10.00
72spur 48pitch / 25pinion = 7.20
72spur 48pitch / 27pinion = 6.67
72spur 48pitch / 28pinion = 6.43

how do i know that, that is the correct ratio needed for my car. thats what gets me about upgrading motors i can never understand the gear chart and what i need for a good ratio.

the heat started when i put the front one way on so maybe that could be my issue? i no that i spin out alot from it

I took off the Motor heatsink and since my car is so low and the body almost scrapes the ground when im running it i figured that maybe the heat is being trapped inside the car. made breather holes on the right hand side front windshield. aprox 10 nice size holes, the front one way has also been removed.

tcfree 10-13-2007 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by RoseTuned (Post 3762448)
its getting wicked hot. i took the heatsink off. i have not been nice on the throttle. im trying to go to max speeds so ill gun it over and over again.

i dont understand the gear chart. these are numbers based on all the pinions i own at the moment.

72spur 48pitch / 21pinion = 8.57
72spur 48pitch / 22pinion = 8.18
72spur 48pitch / 18pinion = 10.00
72spur 48pitch / 25pinion = 7.20
72spur 48pitch / 27pinion = 6.67
72spur 48pitch / 28pinion = 6.43

how do i know that, that is the correct ratio needed for my car. thats what gets me about upgrading motors i can never understand the gear chart and what i need for a good ratio.

the heat started when i put the front one way on so maybe that could be my issue? i no that i spin out alot from it

I took off the Motor heatsink and since my car is so low and the body almost scrapes the ground when im running it i figured that maybe the heat is being trapped inside the car. made breather holes on the right hand side front windshield. aprox 10 nice size holes, the front one way has also been removed.

Hi RoseTuned, I think that the problem is not down to the gearing of the car ( although important ) But that something on the car is binding/causing friction? If you remove the motor and then try to spin the drivetrain/wheel's does it feel hard to turn? The drive shud be free spinning. Also you said about the 1way may be part of the problem, again you need to make shure it is free to move. This is the 1st thing to check, Next you should take a look @ the motor if your not shure maby ask @ the local shop/track, And if none of the above solve the problem, maby you need to look @ the esc/esc settings.

Hope this helps.
ste.

RoseTuned 10-13-2007 07:21 PM

i did find one problem the heatsink that was on the motor was rubbing against the shaft.

if you look at the picture and you see the white box, thats where the heatsink i had on the motor slid back and rubbed against that outdrive or whatever that part is called and did eat some of it up. i found this problem cause when i took the body off.

picture (this is not my TC4)

http://a328.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...35bd9d110f.jpg

i have not tryed to run the car yet since its raining out but hopefully that was the problem.

solardragon 10-13-2007 07:41 PM

hi,
i have the same car as the one in the pic, i'm also using the same spur, and i have the same problem. my car has been thoroughly checked over by myself and others and all binding issues have been ruled out. from what i understand the type of track and my driving style come into play as well as the pinion. with the pinion you may have to go up or down in size to help reduce the hot motor problem, but also how hard you are on the throttle has a role as well. i tend to be heavy fingered so that contributes to heating up the motor. i never could find the right size pinion to reduce motor heat and i still am heavy on the throttle, but i found that a heatsink with a fan over the endbell solved my hot motor problem. hope this helps. i'm still new at this so any more suggestions i'm sure will be appreciated.

slomo 10-13-2007 08:09 PM

Dont forget to check your gear mesh and dont set it too close. :tire: