Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Li-Po storage, what is the best way??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)
Default Li-Po storage, what is the best way??

So I've decided to try a li-po pack for the first time for local racing. But I'm wondering what is a good safe way to store these batterys between uses. I was thinking about getting an old army shell case but would really appreciate the comments from those who are allready using li-po batts. Thanks in advance for any constructive comments.

Please do not use my thread as a li-po bashing point, proper storage of these cells is an important issue.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I just take mine home, and leave them packed, or take them out and put them on my rc table in my room

If your paranoid by them, you can get a lipo sack, or the army case... But for all my lipos, I just look over them when im ready to go home, and if you treat them right, they will do the same for you
Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Unfortunately, BlackedOutRevo's advice is a little bit irresponsible. He's right about treating them with respect, but it's a good idea to store them in something fireproof, like an ammo box, or a Liposack. Some people use clay flower pots, or other similar non-flammable enclosures. The odds are if you respect your packs, you'll never have a problem, but it's easy enough to store them properly, and is worth the extra effort.

The R/C car crowd is just catching on to LiPo, but the plane and heli guys have been using them for years. I'd suggest searching forums for how they store their packs, and whether or not they think it's important to put them somewhere safe.

And before anybody gets on the LiPo is scary tangent, there have been plenty of recent incidents where NiMH batteries started a fire while resting. Proper battery storage is never a bad idea, regardless of chemistry. I personally store my LiPo packs in a Liposack, which I keep outside of my bag during the week when I'm not racing.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've been using the army cases and it was probably the best idea I've had. The orion platinums fit perfectly when in their box so I don't have to worry about shorting on the metal. I also store them in my basement and when it flooded, the fact that they are waterproof saved me some money.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Unfortunately, BlackedOutRevo's advice is a little bit irresponsible. He's right about treating them with respect, but it's a good idea to store them in something fireproof, like an ammo box, or a Liposack. Some people use clay flower pots, or other similar non-flammable enclosures. The odds are if you respect your packs, you'll never have a problem, but it's easy enough to store them properly, and is worth the extra effort.
I have been using lipos for over 2 years, and I beat on them, and I dont have any problems.... Its when you try to push the cells and charge them at 2C and run them too low....

I trust lipos, if you dont put ni mh in a ammo, I dont know why lipos should...
Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i've been leaving mine at the track, or in my friends bag so if they catch on fire its not my house
Old 10-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys all good ideas and thoughts. While I do agree with you to a point BlackedOutREVO, I cannot justify burnning down my house because I did'nt want to spend $10-20 to be safe Remember that in many cases li-po fires happen long after use while most ni hm problems happen while charging or use. In fact I do store my ni mh's in containers now, again to be safe. Looks like the ammo box is the choice for me.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

whats wrong with the carboard box they are shipped to the hobby shops in???
OR a battery box? One would think if they are siting idle they should not be bombs?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
whats wrong with the carboard box they are shipped to the hobby shops in???
OR a battery box? One would think if they are siting idle they should not be bombs?
Very true but as with all rules there are exceptions. As I just posted li po's have been know to catch fire long after use(due to over discharged cells in most cases). Now I have to drive to my track so I would rather be safe than have a li po fire in my car or in my house. Now I will only use esc's that have li po cutoff and just had my GFX updated for li po charging; but even with all these precautions taking the extra step of proper storage is just smart in my book.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We store our lipos in the shop inside a liposack, which has saved us once believe it or not! I wouldn't second guess putting the pack in a sack, then putting it in a tin box just to be sure.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Do you put all your lipo packs in a one ammo box, clay pot or, lipo sack?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris moore
So I've decided to try a li-po pack for the first time for local racing. But I'm wondering what is a good safe way to store these batterys between uses. I was thinking about getting an old army shell case but would really appreciate the comments from those who are allready using li-po batts. Thanks in advance for any constructive comments.

Please do not use my thread as a li-po bashing point, proper storage of these cells is an important issue.
i just put mine in the orion box they came with and put them on the shelf
what do ppl do with there cell phones when they are asleep.
i put mine on the night table beside my head hmmmmmmmmmm mybe one night it will take my head off
Old 10-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I either keep them in the original box or in a Plano plastic box. I've never had any issues...
Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use the Army surplus amo box for reasons already stated. The local hardware store has them for 5 bucks.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i just put mine in the orion box they came with and put them on the shelf
what do ppl do with there cell phones when they are asleep.
i put mine on the night table beside my head hmmmmmmmmmm mybe one night it will take my head off
Dude...LOL...no kidding.

I usually have the bomb squad meet me at the track. I charge them and then they keep them in the mobile blast chamber for the week, then deliver them to me at the track the following week. It's not cheap, but you just can't take any chances.

If you guys didn't cheap out, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.