Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Buying Charger (millenium pro) From Hong Kong (use 220w) Convertor??? >

Buying Charger (millenium pro) From Hong Kong (use 220w) Convertor???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Charger (millenium pro) From Hong Kong (use 220w) Convertor???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Buying Charger (millenium pro) From Hong Kong (use 220w) Convertor???

im buying a novak millenium pro from hong kong. but they use 220w and we use 110w

what to do????
convertor
Old 05-20-2003, 10:42 AM
dux
Tech Apprentice

You need your own DC power source for the Millenium Pro, so unless he's selling you a power source too, there won't be any problem.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Disregaurd my post, didn't see your location.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

HK and most of Europe run 220V AC and the US+Canada is 110V AC. The Millenium (Pro) is a DC charger. It needs 12V DC to work. It does not have its own internal AC/DC power supply. To run it, you need an AC/DC power supply (220VAC/12VDC) or (110VAC/12VDC), depending on where you live.

-H
Old 05-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

If you are looking for a power supply, there are various kinds available ranging from light duty to heavy duty. Novak makes N-power (~$100 light/small) while a Rivergate 30amp can will run about $150.

Follow this thread for more info:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=18144

-H
Old 05-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

he is asking a question!

anyway irrelevant answers are also welcome.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:26 PM

http://www.magicookie.com/prodigy/psupply.htm

would this work you guyz?

by the way you are so not masami right
Old 05-21-2003, 04:29 AM
Tech Adept

Computer power supplies are no good for running a charger. The output amperage needs to be the same or a little greater than the maximum charging amperage of the charger. So if your charge can charge up to 10A, then your power supply should be a minimum of 10A as well. If you get a power supply that only supplies 12V DC at 3A and you charge a pack at 4.5A then you will over heat and possibly burn up the power supply.

But in answer to your question, it looks like it will work. He doesn't show any amp readings in any of his pictures, just voltage. So I would still be a little hesitant before going to all that trouble to rewire the power supply until I was sure that it will be able to handle the amp load from the charger. I have an old pc power supply sitting around and have been looking for a project to work on, so I will give it a try and will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Caddzilla; 05-21-2003 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:05 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Many moons ago I used to use a computer power supply. Check on the case most will run 12V @5A. Just don't go over the rating. I used mine for almost a year before I upgraded. No major problems except that it would occasionaly switch off by itself...probably the overload protection. They are a cheap alternative.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:46 PM
dux
Tech Apprentice

I have a 230Watt (230/12V=about 19 Amps) computer power supply that I converted to take a charger. It works flawlessly and has nice short protection. If you convert it right, it will work great, if it switches itself off all the time, you've probably forgotten to install capacitors in parallel to the outputs.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:35 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by dtm
Many moons ago I used to use a computer power supply. Check on the case most will run 12V @5A. Just don't go over the rating. I used mine for almost a year before I upgraded. No major problems except that it would occasionaly switch off by itself...probably the overload protection. They are a cheap alternative.
Cheap alternative if you haven't got anything better.

But if you're investing in such a good charger.. think twice about what kind of power you're feeding it. The Mill Pro expects to get a clean and stable DC voltage coming in, otherwise its peak detection will be off track.

MillPro also needs a DC input approx 1.5-2.0V *above* the peak voltage of your cells. If your cells are older and peak at 10.5-11V, you need a supply that can pump 13.8V and be voltage stable, otherwise you'll get heaps of headache with false-peaking.

(The PC PSU seems to barely even reach 12V under load!?)

You will also not be able to charge 7 & 8c packs @ 12V alone.