Community
Wiki Posts
Search

During race repairs...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

if its a club race I almost expect a marshall to pull a body, or pop on a ball cup, so on. Obviously I dont expect them to rebuild my diff, or change an arm while I am patiently wainting to get back on track. Now if its a point series, trophy race, national, then no. Obviously, you shouldnt have got yourself in such a perdicament. But thats my opinion.....
Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ROAR has rules on this for the US.

5.5.6 says marshalls can't work on cars, they must put them off the track.

But I see no rules limitations on putting cars back on the track after repairs.

5.12 says if a driver gets warned for rough driving 3 times he is black-flagged. The guy who keeps hacking can be black flagged off the track whether it's due to poor driving skills, a poor handling car, damaged car or deliberate action.

5.14.4 allows for the race director to assess stop and go penalties in lieu of lap or time penalties (e.g. for hacking another car to let that car back by again).

I think these are reasonable rules. A good by-product of having a national organization is universal rules.

I think all clubs should use the section 5 rules for when one car slams into another, spins it around and passes it. It would teach us to drive better... at the very least, assess a stop and go.

I don't think anybody sees pulling a body tuck / dented body as actually being a repair... I've seen that at big race mains.

In our club we are lenient in qualifiers, and for novices we do whatever we can to keep them running... except for trophy race mains where we set them off the track and let someone else (not the marshall) do it. I too have been either hit by a just-repaired-and-reentering-track vehicle or even worse, ignored by a turn marshall fixing his friend's car. It's my fault I wrecked but when a TQ or trophy is at stake it can be quite annoying.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Suspended

At the 30 second mark, I pull off and rebuild my motor.

It's amazing how well it works. My laptimes barely fall off at the end of the race.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charley
What happens when you have a hack with a tank that takes out all the other cars on the track shouldn't that end it for the hack? There should be a rule if you take out more than one car in a race, be it a qualifier or main you should be done.
What does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

HACKS should be warned...and told to get their cars under control. If they can't get them under control, they should be black flagged.

If the HACKING is intentional, they should be asked to LEAVE.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

The only repair a corner marshall should make is removing minor body tuck. Any further than that and the car should placed aside. Not even a ballcup snapped back on or switching on a car that was accidently turned off. Not every marshall is going to notice a popped ballcup or might not know how to snap it back on if they aren't familiar with that car or class. Not every car is going to have the power switch mounted in the same spot. These inconsistencies means that some cars would get back on the track and some wouldn't; thats not fair. All the while the marshalls attention is no longer on the race but on a broken car. The car should be set aside and the driver should remain on the drivers stand until the end of the race. If it can be repaired it should done by someone in the pits other than the driver. This is my opinion but I feel it's resonable.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Man...LOL...I'm glad I don't race at all your tracks...we just race for fun and I/we will do whatever we can to get someone back in the race. If it's broke, it's broke...but if we can make it go again, we will. I'd want someone to do it for me...so I'd do it for someone else.

It's never really caused a big problem for other cars, because we're all able to do more than one thing at once. If another car crashes, then we'll get it. It's just not a problem. We had a guy chuck a tire off the wheel and got him back in the race and I think he still placed (he wasn't last for sure).

I guess the real question is why you're really there. Personally,I'm out there for fun and laughs with friends...winning is cool...but it's plenty fun to just be in the mix and have a decent shot at a good race with my friends. It's not F1, it's hanging with friends, playing with toy cars.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Man...LOL...I'm glad I don't race at all your tracks...we just race for fun and I/we will do whatever we can to get someone back in the race. If it's broke, it's broke...but if we can make it go again, we will. I'd want someone to do it for me...so I'd do it for someone else.

It's never really caused a big problem for other cars, because we're all able to do more than one thing at once. If another car crashes, then we'll get it. It's just not a problem. We had a guy chuck a tire off the wheel and got him back in the race and I think he still placed (he wasn't last for sure).

I guess the real question is why you're really there. Personally,I'm out there for fun and laughs with friends...winning is cool...but it's plenty fun to just be in the mix and have a decent shot at a good race with my friends. It's not F1, it's hanging with friends, playing with toy cars.
I completely understand what you mean. Howerver, keeping the rules a little more strict makes for a more fair race. I like to win and I like a clean and fair race.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by shaggys40oz
For club racing it is fine .... fix a body tuck .... pop a ball cup back on ..... no big deal. Everyone racing in a club race is there to have fun, the more time you can be on the track the better. Of course beyond the club level is a different story.
I think you summed it up well, club racing is about having fun and having a close race, if youre racing in a more organised championship you dont win races by falling off the track and expecting to have your car fixed.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roads
I completely understand what you mean. Howerver, keeping the rules a little more strict makes for a more fair race. I like to win and I like a clean and fair race.
I think that the hyper-competitive attitude is one of the things that kills club racing. People forget what they're coming out for. Everyone is so worried about beating the next guy and spinning the wheel in the hamster cage that they forget that having fun hanging out with friends and helping OTHER PEOPLE to have fun is the best part of this hobby.

I for one, don't go to tracks/races like that.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I think that the hyper-competitive attitude is one of the things that kills club racing. People forget what they're coming out for. Everyone is so worried about beating the next guy and spinning the wheel in the hamster cage that they forget that having fun hanging out with friends and helping OTHER PEOPLE to have fun is the best part of this hobby.

I for one, don't go to tracks/races like that.
I never said we weren't having fun. We help each other out alot in the pits. Giving each other setup advice, sharing parts, tools, and setup stations. Our track is in a series for the winter with two other tracks bringing around 50 people per race day. If the tracks don't adhere to understood and resonable rules, certain people whine about fairness. We have tons of fun on the track and are at the same time competetive. The northwest has a great community for club racing.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At our local club we allow some fixing, such as popping a body out or putting on a body clip, or switching on an accidently turned-off car. But if anything has come off our out of the car, it's pretty much done. We do allow the driver or pit guy to fix it, though. We're not really uptight about our club races.

For our bigger races, the marshals should hand the car off to someone if it needs to be fixed.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, an arm hanging off...LOL...yeah it's done.

Body tucks, ballcups, even loose wheels if there's someone handy with a wrench. I wouldn't bail on turnmarshalling to fix a car, but most of us are fully capable of watching AND snapping a ballcup back on. The race comes first, of course.

I wouldn't be at a big race where it mattered...or where people would complain about you helping someone...LOL...

Originally Posted by TurboT
At our local club we allow some fixing, such as popping a body out or putting on a body clip, or switching on an accidently turned-off car. But if anything has come off our out of the car, it's pretty much done. We do allow the driver or pit guy to fix it, though. We're not really uptight about our club races.

For our bigger races, the marshals should hand the car off to someone if it needs to be fixed.