R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Default Universal Sedan Parts?

I can think of several great sedans on the market but getting the parts is hard. I own an Xray T2 and also my local hobby shop that carried Xray closed and the other two LHS cannot order the parts. This also seems to be the problem with Corally, Schumacher, Hot Bodies, Associated, Tamiya, HPI and Losi. The problem is not LHS being able to order the parts; LHS just do not want to risk having dead inventory sitting on the shelves.

So would it be possible for an aftermarket (RPM, 3Racing, MuchMore) company to make universal sedan parts?

I mean all the same sized hubs, steering blocks and a consolidated collection of arms. Sedans have limited options for bearing sizes and wheel sizes so having a one type fits all part should work. Now that all the major players are on the same page with using metric the task should be really easy.

The only hang ups I can see with some features is that on steering blocks the spacing between the bearings and the size of the CV joint may force up to three types of steering blocks and rear hubs to cover 8 companies and many car models.

The C-hubs could all be the same and produced in the standard caster settings we all like: 0, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, and 6.

I would have to assume that the arms will still have to be unique to each car model, but it may be possible for some crafty engineering to merge two similar style arms into a direct replacement for a few car models. In trying to make a one-style-fits-all A-arm there is allot to consider: Shock mounting holes, length, sway bar mounting point, hinge pin size, width at base.

Itís just my thought, and I would think it would be easier for me to order a $7 set of A-arms versus a $6 single A-arm from the luxury sedan company. Not only could it be cheaper, I could also have the option of Blue or purple parts. LHS could really benifit from universal parts by not having to stock as many differnet SKU's on the shelves. It would be a win-win for the racer and the LHS.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think you would be surprised how interchangable some parts are. For example, HPI pro 4 steering knuckles. They are standard on 3 cars that I know of (Pro 4, HB Cyclone and TOP Scythe) plus they are used on the Tamiya cars so they can run wider foam tyres. I have also been told that Masami had them on a Yokomo at one time. Don't ask me for details, all I know is that they fit if you use the Yokomo bearings. I was told this by a Masami fanboy so I'm guessing it's true.

I personally have made them fit in a T2 with minor modifications. With the T2 ones, I'd break them where the bottom screw would screw in. I've never had this happen with the Pro 4 knuckles.

I'm sure there's other parts out there that would also be interchangable.
I'm not a grown man playing with toys. I'm a hobbyist.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd rather that the parts be available through more distributors. Our shop (understandably) likes to have as few distributors as possible. So, ordering parts COD from a few of the big name foreign on-road companies is a royal pain to him. He recently rejoiced over the release of the TC5 and JRXS. He would rather order and stock parts for the big 2 US based chassis (yes, I know that they have owners that may not be US based). A lot of people at our track didn't make the switch, and once again parts are hard to come by. When he does order parts, people snatch up the popular parts like vultures, and he's stuck with a wall full of essential parts to carry, that don't break as often.
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote