Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Ebayers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default USA Ebayers

Just got to ask the question, why is it that a large proportion of USA RC related Ebayers will not except bids from overseas.
Being an Aussie rc tragic I constantly see rc items going for a price that I would have out bid if I would have been allowed to bid, I constantly use ebay to secure parts & accessories, ( the Australian rc section on ebay is not the best )
When I see an item that I am looking for I email the seller an ask them will they except a bid from Australia & that I have 100% positive feedback from over 220 buy & sells, that I have a verified papal account, the only reply I seem to receiving of late is Sorry USA only. 3 months ago I shipped an Xray to the US. did not even think twice about it, why would I the guy paid the money via paypal, he was happy so was I
Is there a sound reasoning for this response (or am I missing something ) as I would have thought it was in the best interests of the seller to maximise his chances of receiving the best offer, as for the seller he gets best price with no risk to him with the payment going straight into his paypal account, if there is a risk it is surely at the buyers end.
Cheers.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I can tell you why most people are hesitant:

The customs forms are a pain in the butt.

The postage rates are very tedious for anything more substantial than an envelope and there are way too many potential ways to get hosed.

The recipient gets tagged for customs duties and blames it on you.

The package gets hung up in customs and it gets blamed on you.

The time zone thing and the distance makes direct communication difficult at best, leading to problems that get blamed on you.

I'll still ship overseas on some items, but usually with my fingers crossed.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For me it is really easy to set a shipping price that is the same for anyone in the US. Somtimes this is to my advantage and others it is agaist me. But over time it evens out. I have realized that this is easy for me because to use the shipping calcultor I must have my item packaged and ready to ship for the calculator to be truely accurate fr everyone. I am lazy and stuff is not always packaged before sles end.
That being said if I was to ship to a foriegn contry I would have to rely on the shipping calculator to figure shipping corectly for me. It is not always correct.
Simply,having a set shiping fee is great domesticly, but if I was to sell the same item foriegn I would need to re-figure things. I guess for me its just a case of laziness.

Tell you what though if you evey buy anything fro me I'll ship to you!!!
By the way you looking for a gas truck???
Old 10-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Customs forms are a pain in the ass. The biggest reason, however, is sellers who accept PayPal are not protected under the seller protection policy on auctions shipped to Australia. US sellers are only covered to the US, UK and Canada. That means the buyer could receive the package, then dispute the charge with PayPal and get his money back. I think I'll pass on that no matter how much positive feed back you have.

I suppose you could send a certified check to pay but the seller would be stupid not to wait 10+ days for it to clear. You could try Western Union but that's just as risky for the buyer. Most sellers just want to get money in their PayPal account and be done with it. If you want to take the financial risk by sending unsecured funds in the form of a check, money order or Western Union maybe more buyers will work with you though.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

That's not true...Paypal just requires that you ship to the verified address by a means that's traceable by internet. It's no different than shipping to a US address that way.

The forms are a pain in the ass, though.

Originally Posted by SlamMan
Customs forms are a pain in the ass. The biggest reason, however, is sellers who accept PayPal are not protected under the seller protection policy on auctions shipped to Australia. US sellers are only covered to the US, UK and Canada. That means the buyer could receive the package, then dispute the charge with PayPal and get his money back. I think I'll pass on that no matter how much positive feed back you have.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only time I have been burned is when I have delt with someone from overseas, especially the UK, they have been the worse when it comes to selling or buying.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 AM
Tech Addict

C'mon, we from the other side of the pond need more of you willing to deal with us.... I agree with flyspray that today is not easy to find US people willing to deal with us outsiders, but I would say that if there is honest people on both sides of the deal, there is no problem whatsoever. Paypal protect you equally if you're dealing within or without your native country. We're on a Globalised world, we need to open our mind wider than "our country, our language" . I have made several deals here on rctech and on fleabay and have never had a problem, just good deals. Perhaps I'm an exception
Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I was burned by an overseas transaction. Paypal fees are more for international transactions. Usually there are enough people in the US willing to buy the stuff.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I was burned by an overseas transaction. Paypal fees are more for international transactions. Usually there are enough people in the US willing to buy the stuff.
ditto
Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes I heard about those people who get the item and then start a dispute to get their money back. But that is a major flaw with Paypal. there are some problems in their system which they, I believe, avoid to see.

one is as you mentioned, the protection only covers certain countries. So the sellers, not to be screwed prefers the buyers from secured countries only. This in return actually hurts everyone. Seller, buyer, Ebay and paypal. Sellers sell for less, wlling buyers cant buy, ebays and paypal gets less commision. The only happy person is the lucky buying bastard that lives in the country where paypal covers for...

Second problem is Paypal doesnot work with you to have your adress verified. I sent many faxes to them but they still refuse to verify the adress.

Third the above reason totally resets the value of your 100% feedback with high feedback rates. people just want to know if the adress is verfied.

I usually ask the seller politely if he would consider selling the item to me since I live in Istanbul and my feedback is 100%. If he does I thank him and make sure he has him payment as soon as I receive the invoice. If he doesnt agree I thank him and move on. It is not the end of live as we know it...

I have to agree with time difference issues. I am a paitent person but I see many impaitent pricks on Ebay.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have had success shipping over seas after a few transactions you learn which forms to use and what to charge. Over seas customers are willing to wait for their items to arrive and are also willing to pay more for shipping. My items sell for more to people overseas than they do in the states due to the exchange rates at the time. I have been shipping over seas for 7 years and I have not had one item get lost. I have had items take 3 months to arrive and the buyer file a paypal complaint and I had to refund their money But when the item arrived 3 months later the honest buyer emailed me and payed me for the items. So I think it matters who you are dealing with some people don't have the extra 5 to 10 minutes to fill out the forms CORRECTLY. I think the biggest issue is that you have to stand in line to ship overseas packages versus domestic packages where you can just click it print and ship it from your computer and just drop it at the post office.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by clinehobbies
I have had success shipping over seas after a few transactions you learn which forms to use and what to charge. Over seas customers are willing to wait for their items to arrive and are also willing to pay more for shipping. My items sell for more to people overseas than they do in the states due to the exchange rates at the time. I have been shipping over seas for 7 years and I have not had one item get lost. I have had items take 3 months to arrive and the buyer file a paypal complaint and I had to refund their money But when the item arrived 3 months later the honest buyer emailed me and payed me for the items. So I think it matters who you are dealing with some people don't have the extra 5 to 10 minutes to fill out the forms CORRECTLY. I think the biggest issue is that you have to stand in line to ship overseas packages versus domestic packages where you can just click it print and ship it from your computer and just drop it at the post office.
We, overseas hobbist united, appreciate your kind comments and your willingness to deal with us! As I commented before, if the people on both ends are honest, everything can and will end up right. and yes, we're used to wait for our stuff, 6, 10, 14, 36 days...
Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Too many horror stories of people being burned selling out of the country...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
That's not true...Paypal just requires that you ship to the verified address by a means that's traceable by internet. It's no different than shipping to a US address that way.

The forms are a pain in the ass, though.
You might want to read the PayPal User Agreement again. Particularly section 11.3 b in the following link. Just because the address is verified doesn't necessarily mean your covered by the SPP

PayPal User Agreement - Seller Protection Policy

11. Seller Protection Policy.

11.3 Qualification Requirements. In order to qualify for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, you must meet the following requirements:

a. You must have a Verified Business or Verified Premier Account at the time of the transaction,

b. The transaction must be between a US, UK or Canadian buyer and a US, UK or Canadian seller,

c. etc, etc....
US sellers are only covered by the SPP when shipping to the US, UK and Canada.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rampal
We, overseas hobbist united, appreciate your kind comments and your willingness to deal with us! As I commented before, if the people on both ends are honest, everything can and will end up right. and yes, we're used to wait for our stuff, 6, 10, 14, 36 days...
I don't mind shipping overseas as long as I'm covered by PayPal or the buyer wants to send money by Western Union. Unfortunately the only way a seller can discern an honest person from a rip off artist on eBay is a feedback score. That's not much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.