Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Does this car EXIST? >

Does this car EXIST?

Does this car EXIST?

Old 05-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb Does this car EXIST?

Hi, I was looking on the internet for this car called the "MRC Acaddemy SRT-4" but I can't seem to find it on any searches I made, I would like some information on it, who sells it and if the company has a home page? Many thanks.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Academy is a Korean company and is distrubuted in the US by MRC (check their website, the full name is Model Rectifier Corporation I guess) .
The STR4-PRO has been tested in last RCCA with the TC3 and the EVO3 (it was the slowest) .
Old 05-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Ah ok, I was going to buy an Associated TC3 but my friend said that the MRC was cheaper, but I don't want a slow car, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

...the other problem is parts. All cars will break, but if you can't get replacement parts...
Old 05-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Wo, wait a second. The MRC Acaddemy SRT-4 is no slouch and the reason that it didn't run as well in the head to head running is because they didn't change any of them from there box stock form (i.e. no oil/spring changes). The SRT-4 is a good car and as long as you've got spares, your set(as parts arn't in many LHS). I'm sure it could be at the head of the pack if setup and driven correctly.

I don't trust the reviews in RCCA at all. There are alot of times where the reviews are very rushed and they don't get enough time to actually take a day and really work the car and find out what it's really like. (Derek Bruno an ex editor for Rcca said that on this forum a while ago)

A few examples are when they tested the Axis 2 on carpet for the review and when they tested the kx-one in a bombed out parking lot, with some crappy pvc pipe as a test track.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

MRC's website is HERE

-RyaN-
Old 05-26-2003, 12:06 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by fatdoggy
[B]I don't trust the reviews in RCCA at all. There are alot of times where the reviews are very rushed and they don't get enough time to actually take a day and really work the car and find out what it's really like. (Derek Bruno an ex editor for Rcca said that on this forum a while ago)
I'm sure RCCA isn't all fun-n-games as it might seem, they've still got publishing deadlines etc etc. I'm sure its always very tight between any kit arriving at their doorstep and being able to throw it together, review it and then write up everything in time for publishing.

Even with the 1:1 world, when they do comparos chances are certain models would handle better if they had better tyres etc etc. Manufacturers usually equip their cars to a price. You certainly don't hear of eg Road & Track magazine bothering to change tyres of the test vehicles so that they're all equal before putting them to the test?
Old 05-26-2003, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very true, & if they're testing a car & they suspect a car might benefit from some different tires, they usually mention it in their review articles, but they still test the car as it's sent to them(much like RCCA does, hmmmm)....
Old 05-26-2003, 04:07 AM
Tech Regular

hey i was just woundering if you guys have ever herd of a radio called the monza 2 i think the brand name is prafa i bought it second hand for 40$ and ppl at my track have never herd of it. have u guys
Old 05-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

I just checked out last month's RCCA and the SRT-4 PRO looks good. With a woven 2 deck graphite chassis, machined purple alloy parts all over. The report said that the car had a lot of grip in the turns, and one of the test drivers complained that the car wasn't as loose as he was used to going into the turns. I want it!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dec. 2001: RCCA did a full on 11 car shoot out which included the STR.... FT TC3, TB EVO2, X-Ray T1, KX-one, Corally C4, Schumacher Axis 2, Ofna OB4 international, Pro3, and MR4TC special..... and the winner was the standard Losi XXX-S.... not even the G+!!!! The test was done on a prepared race track with equal equiptment and they allowed for tuning....... So don't pull the unfare advantage crap......I have been able to check out an STR4 Pro and the suspension has alot of flex and the chassis twists as if it has no support at all!!

The RCCA test was preformed by 3 members of the RCCA staff, and about the only thing they had god to say was that it looked cool.......
Old 05-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
STR4 Pro and the suspension has alot of flex and the chassis twists as if it has no support at all!!
Good god, that's monstrous! I guess I'll get the TC3.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

how to go to the wed side???
Old 05-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Disney
how to go to the wed side???
cool, I just found the web site:

www.academyhobby.com