R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Smallest RC receiver?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/184644-smallest-rc-receiver.html)

parnelli97 10-05-2007 07:18 PM

Smallest RC receiver??

I'm wondering what is the smallest 75mhz AM receiver. I'd like something like a sub-micro airplane receiver, but I know that the frequencies are off. Does anyone know how to mod that so it'll work on the ground frequencies? Preferably something less than 4oz.

Mitch P. 10-05-2007 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by parnelli97 (Post 3737892)
I'm wondering what is the smallest 75mhz AM receiver. I'd like something like a sub-micro airplane receiver, but I know that the frequencies are off. Does anyone know how to mod that so it'll work on the ground frequencies? Preferably something less than 4oz.

Spectrum makes a very small one. you might want to look at that one:nod:

I dont know for sure if it will work though:cool:.

parnelli97 10-05-2007 07:33 PM

I don't have a spektrum system. I need an ancient style receiver I know. lol.

A. Rhodes 10-05-2007 07:39 PM

The Novak XXL is nice and small for a AM receiver:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/re...xxl/index.html

Not 100% sure if Novak still makes these or not. I have seen them in LHS's from time to time over the last couple of years though. You might be able to pick one up real cheap in the for sale forum.

Turbo Joe 10-05-2007 08:36 PM

Preferably something less than 4oz.

I dunno man...getting a receiver that weighs less than a quarter-pound is going to be tough. ;)

adamge 10-05-2007 09:10 PM

Sombra Labs Shadow 3
(Synthesized, 72MHz and 75MHz)

Scottrik 10-05-2007 10:04 PM

You should check out the GWS Pico receivers. They're available in 27 or 75mHz and in vertical or horizontal pin arrangement. http://www.banebots.com/p/RX-GWS4-PV

Pics attached so you can see that it's actually a bit smaller than the Spektrum Micro (3500). It weighs about 19g with crystal where the Spektrum Micro weighs about 16g. The GWS uses a mylar (or similar) "case" much like the Spektrum aircraft receivers.

Best part--They're less than $20. Yeah you have to use their crystal (photo for size comparison w/"normal" crystal there) but they're only $7 ea.

Picked this one up for my Scalpels where space is REALLY limited. Now that I've gone Spektrum I'll probably put one of my extra Micros in it but it just seems wrong to put a $100 receiver in a $130 car.

khubner 10-06-2007 12:30 AM

correct me if im wrong but everything i've been taught about radio waves leads me to beleive that virtualy any transmitter/receiver can use any frequency it is tuned to the only difference between 27 29 25 mhz is the rate of the signal i'll try a visual

25mhz
-3-3-3-3-3-3-
27mhz
-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-
-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-

think of the - as the point at which the value is 0 and draw a nice ~~~~~ between them and you have a radio wave it's just how fast the wave repeats it'self in the case of 27mhz 2700 times per milisecond

parnelli97 10-06-2007 06:14 AM

That may be true, but I don't know how to re-tune an airplane receiver. I've seen them as small as 7 grams. That would rock on my dragster.

AussieSamurai 10-06-2007 06:59 AM

I have a Futaba receiver that only weighs about 30-60 grams (not sure but it is very light) I don't know what that is in pounds though:confused: it runs in eighter 27 or 29 mhz though so unless u change frequencies it won't work.

Scottrik 10-06-2007 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by parnelli97 (Post 3738774)
That may be true, but I don't know how to re-tune an airplane receiver. I've seen them as small as 7 grams. That would rock on my dragster.

Wait a minute. First you're looking for "something under 4 ounces" which would be pretty much any receiver on the freakin' planet. Now you want to re-engineer (and probably ruin) an aircraft receiver?

You've been given two examples of receivers that weigh, respectively, a snick over 1/2 once and about 2/3 ounce. For any "normal" racing that difference is unmeasureable even if your last name is Blackstock or Baker. For drag racing the difference between 7g and 15g MIGHT be measureable but I'd bet it's no more than in the third column after the decimal (ie THOUSANDTHS of a second).

parnelli97 10-06-2007 05:26 PM

Aren't we a little pissy. First of all, I bookmarked the site you sent me because it is the smallest one I've seen. Then "khubner" stated that an airplane receiver could be modified.... I never said I could or would do it, I just thought it was a cool concept.... Sorry for carrying on with someone else's conversation and not bowing to your expertise. Lets lock this thread down Scottrik has answered the question!!!!

I appreciate the first post, however this one was un-called for.

Originally Posted by Scottrik (Post 3738872)
Wait a minute. First you're looking for "something under 4 ounces" which would be pretty much any receiver on the freakin' planet. Now you want to re-engineer (and probably ruin) an aircraft receiver?

You've been given two examples of receivers that weigh, respectively, a snick over 1/2 once and about 2/3 ounce. For any "normal" racing that difference is unmeasureable even if your last name is Blackstock or Baker. For drag racing the difference between 7g and 15g MIGHT be measureable but I'd bet it's no more than in the third column after the decimal (ie THOUSANDTHS of a second).

t4m1y4niac 10-06-2007 05:48 PM

di Futaba make smaller Rx for Fasst like Spectrum one???

Scottrik 10-06-2007 06:15 PM

Whatever.

Best of luck with whatever you try.

AussieSamurai 10-06-2007 10:55 PM

I also have a Hi-Tech receiver and I weighed it today. 15 grams:)