R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Question about Brushless system on 415MRE

Hello Guys,

Well the season has ended here in Turkey with the final race of the TR Championship series. I have finished 2nd over all (due to a continius motor failure on the 4th race and ending up with 0 points )

Anyways last race, I finally got the problem fixed and for the first time I raced with a BL system. I used LRP TCspec with Vortex 5.5

I pulled down the track record for 17.080 to 16.807 and currently the only car in the 16 secs. On this particular day the car was 1 sec faster than the second place car. but coming to that point was very strange for me. and I want your insight on this...

Now, I started practice day with 76x18 with stock 2.25 IR Sorex tires. The car ran slow and battery dumped at 3.5 min mark. the motor was very hot so was the ESC but no thermal occured.

With the car being so slow I said "What da hell" and put a 20 pinion in the car. actually by accident. I have my pinions all organized by teeth and somehow I miss placed couple of them. (I was planning to put 17 by the way)

So with fresh batteries I went out and the car was faster. but again dumped this time around 4.5 min mark. I checked the motor and ESC they were hot yes but not very hot. So I sat and while looking I noticed I put a bigger pinion on... So again saying istead of live long and prosper I said live fast die fast... I put a 24 pinion in the car...

New batteries and of to the track... MY GOD!!!! I have created a monster... Every part of the car was screaming for help, diff would slip if punched hard, the car would lift its nose up while accelerating. And it was blazing fast. Expecting a 1 min run to hell with an explosive ending the car ran a miracleous 6.5 mins at speeds I have never gone with the MRE before. Pulled the car off and the motor was cool and the esc was cold actually. (ambient temperature was lower though)

So totally confused I went to bed in the hotel think what to do next day.

Just to be safe I put a 23 pinion in the car and started the race day.

I TQ'ed, broke the lap record, broke the most laps record (old was 16 now it is 17) then won all the A-mains. It was like using a 6 cell car agains 5 cells with the same weight. (the car handle great too) the motor was mildly warm and the esc was cool.

Now I am lost alittle... 76x18 ration was ofcourse to high (9.49) for 5.5BL. but a 8.55 with 76x20 wasnt. I tired 76x24 which puts me around 7.12 which is the lowest suggested ration for the 5.5 and it still can go lower. I am still unsure how to set the BL systems and I stumbled on a good setup by luck

The problem I am having is I now have a very fast car but I dont know why it is so fast.. Why does the BL systems behaves in such way with the pinion changes.

thanks guys..

Last edited by Toughbeard; 10-05-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote