Community
Wiki Posts
Search

battery bars, gold or silver

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default battery bars, gold or silver

I have always used the muchmore thick gold battery bars, is there an advantage over say using the silver one's or vice versa?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I think its just color preference. I always use Novak Silver Cross Bars..

Either way you look at it, its still cooper underneith.

Reason i done use gold ones, its when your soldering them on the packs after the solder has cooled, you can kind see a dirty ring of brown around the solder joint. Some is due to the flux from teh solder, but the gold ones add to it. Im anal about everything I own, so im picky
Old 10-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok here is my understanding,
aluminium good conductor poor corrosion resistance but since it develope a layer of white rust it is then resiliant to further decay.
copper is a good conductor better than aluminium and has good corrosion resistance.
silver is the best conductor of most materials used and is good at resisting corrosion.
gold is poorer conductor than silver or copper but has really good corosion resistant.
so silver is prob the best gold will last longer copper are value for money and aluminium need to be annodized to stop rusting so is not ideal for electronics as rust does happen particularly on negative terminals.
if im wrong correct me this is my understanding as im study mechanical engineering and we do both materials and electrical engineering.
cheers. one not team orion guys tend to use copper batter bars. and all battery bars are copper with a coating
Old 10-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Tech Addict

the gold coating helps prevent corrosion.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Correction....

Gold is the best conductor of any of the stated materials, High end car audio connectors use gold or gold plated over nickel, since the amp draw is high.
It also prevents signal interferance........
Silver would be the next best thing.
Copper is not far behind Silver and is far cheaper...

Aluminum is not a good conductor, I know I use to have an aluminum Jetski trailer and I had to run seperate ground wiring so the tail lights would not blink with the turn signals... The trailer itself was one big ground loop...

Why do you think they no longer use aluminum wiring in houses????
It corrodes and the expansion and contraction is different from other materials used on the circuit, one thing it does well is disipate heat well.

Sukh stick with the muchmore bars or try the niftech they are lite weight & cheaper....

Grant
Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

i just double checked my text book ($150 university text book)
andc11000 copper has 1.72x 10 to the power -8
gold commericaly pure 2.35x 10 power -8
silver comercially pure 1.47 x 10 power -8
remember this is in ohms a metre. there for smaller number the better so silver is best then copper (this is a specific grade of copper) than gold.
some coppers are better than gold others are worse than aluminium so u gotta get the right grade. but silver is the best. or atleast silver coating.
btw prob find the resistance u save using silver over sopper will be nullified by the extra inch of wire most people have lol
Old 10-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

do you guys think battery bars will make you faster.

just asking. i like the deans pro 3 they work the best for me.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I think the new Trinity bars are faster then the Deans.LOL

Ben
Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

aus jd 2703 is correct. Silver is the better conductor. Gold is used for its high resistance to corrosion (Silver turns black ie. tarnishes easily) thus for high end audio having little to no corrosion is preferred. With connectors that you pull on and off, having no surface corrosion is better. Also over time the connector, wire, contact point, etc. won't get eaten away so fast.
If you assemble your batteries with too much solder, it doesn't matter whether you use gold or silver bars. The layer tin/lead between the bar and cell ends is a much worst conductor than either metal.

@aus jd 2703 look into something called Valence shell electron configuration also.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sportpak
I think the new Trinity bars are faster then the Deans.LOL

Ben
but they say trinity on them.

but i think we all agree that less solder is best.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
@aus jd 2703 look into something called Valence shell electron configuration also.
umm im a first year so care to give me a crash course lol
im gonna guess since its electron shell its to do with electrons i remember valence being something to to with configuration of electron surrounding nutrons or proton lol bit im stratching here i cant really remember
Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
umm im a first year so care to give me a crash course lol
im gonna guess since its electron shell its to do with electrons i remember valence being something to to with configuration of electron surrounding nutrons or proton lol bit im stratching here i cant really remember
Close enough.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Silver
Old 10-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thicker bars = more current without geting hot (i just soldered 2 ni-cad stick packs with 5 amp wire. should be fun )
Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Lifeguy is completely wrong with his rankings......

Pure Silver is the best, followed by pure copper, then gold......

However, none of our bars are pure silver or gold.....most are just plated copper.......or worse.....a super crappy metal thats cheap.

A silver plated bar of material A will conduct better than a gold plated bar of the same material.....

Also, as silver heats up, it loses a bit of a conductivity.....

I personally just use pure copper bars......they solder easy and are easy to bend without any worry of a plating coming off......

Silver solders pretty well, so you can use them also......

They use gold in Car Audio simply because its highly resistant to any form of corrision, which is big in a car since they are often exposed to harsh conditions......however, many high end audio components have used silver also for indoor applications.....seen many with just pure copper too.....

And whatever you do, stay away from anything thats platinum plated.....its a horrible conducter.......like right up there with wood.....

Later EddieO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.