Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EP cells at Vegas???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default EP cells at Vegas???

Did anyone run EP cells in Vegas? If so, how did they perform. What were your charge/discharge cycling methods?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

brad johnson tq'ed and won the most horsepower starved class of them all with the hurricane ep42's in stock sedan. that should answer the performance part. well that, and the fact that another ib cell blew up on someone out there.

not sure of everyone who used them, i was probably next in stock sedan getting 4th with ep's. infact, all of the hurricane team used them, and i saw multiple guys in the mains. i think some of team kwik were running them as well.

i think most charged around 7A. discharged on the track. and then used an equalizing tray prior to repeating the cycle. fairly simple, actually.

- devon beckwith -
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by march to my own
Did anyone run EP cells in Vegas? If so, how did they perform. What were your charge/discharge cycling methods?
My Team Kwik EPs performed flawlessly for the whole event. Great rip, and excellent longevity. Started with a dump in a 0-30 till the lights went out. I put a piece of paper between the cell and the contacts as they dropped out. Once all the lights were out, moved it to a Smart Tray down to .9 volts/cell. Then charged them at 7.5 amps to a 3mv peak. Topped off at 8 - 8.5 amps with a 3mv peak. Ran them, set them aside till next charge session, repeated previous steps. Same pack, twice a day.

Remember to always start with a cool pack, properly equalized. Always inspect the shrink of the cells for damage, and repair before use. Further contact with carbon chassis or other surfaces that conduct electricity could lead to a short and/or battery explosion.

Note, just because my charging methods over the last 20 years have never exploded a battery does not mean that you will have the same results. Never leave a charging battery un-attended. Always use caution when charging, taking note of what is around the battery and what is contacting the pack. Feel the pack once in a while, especially near the end of the charge. If the cell is over heating, it can pop. It's better to remove the pack and resume charging when the pack has cooled a little. If you are temp charging, stop the charging at 115 - 120F. The internal temp will be much higher than the cell skin.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i know chicky and frank C. ran EP4200 as well. They did try the current IB cell, but felt that EPs to give more punch. Also I know the trinity team were also running EPs
Old 10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

where can one get EP cells from.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Team Hurricane
Old 10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used got second in 19T using EP4200 from Pro-Match, Mike Dumas TQed and won 19t, used EP's from Trinity and Jilles Groskamp used some from Checkpoint.

Paul
Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

ya pro-match
i was trying to remember what your battery's where.
thx Paul

i plan on getting those soon.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chicky03
I used got second in 19T using EP4200 from Pro-Match, Mike Dumas TQed and won 19t, used EP's from Trinity and Jilles Groskamp used some from Checkpoint.

Paul
i thought jilles ran for trinity??
Old 10-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

would you know if someone ran a 5 cell in the race?

How did it compare to running 6 cells??
Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran EP's all week from my local matcher RacedayRC and they performed flawlessly. Granted I did not finish as high as others but I don't race nearly as much either.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pat Clark
i thought jilles ran for trinity??
Not anymore evidently.

EA
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
My Team Kwik EPs performed flawlessly for the whole event. Great rip, and excellent longevity. Started with a dump in a 0-30 till the lights went out. I put a piece of paper between the cell and the contacts as they dropped out. Once all the lights were out, moved it to a Smart Tray down to .9 volts/cell. Then charged them at 7.5 amps to a 3mv peak. Topped off at 8 - 8.5 amps with a 3mv peak. Ran them, set them aside till next charge session, repeated previous steps. Same pack, twice a day.

Remember to always start with a cool pack, properly equalized. Always inspect the shrink of the cells for damage, and repair before use. Further contact with carbon chassis or other surfaces that conduct electricity could lead to a short and/or battery explosion.

Note, just because my charging methods over the last 20 years have never exploded a battery does not mean that you will have the same results. Never leave a charging battery un-attended. Always use caution when charging, taking note of what is around the battery and what is contacting the pack. Feel the pack once in a while, especially near the end of the charge. If the cell is over heating, it can pop. It's better to remove the pack and resume charging when the pack has cooled a little. If you are temp charging, stop the charging at 115 - 120F. The internal temp will be much higher than the cell skin.

i assume this is charging for 'BIG' race meet. for the average club racer would this charging be good? in terms life of cell..........for a year.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

EPs performed great and used by a lot of the top drivers that made the A mains. I think it's proved that even though the labels show slightly lower than the IB cell, on the track they run just as strong if not stronger than the IB cells. Great to see some competition in the battery world again.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by Island Losi
i assume this is charging for 'BIG' race meet. for the average club racer would this charging be good? in terms life of cell..........for a year.
I can tell you this.........Brad charged his stuff at 7.0 amps and did not repeak. I also witnessed a few people charging at 10 amps (not recomended but ep's will handle it)
Recomended charging is 6 amps and no repeak is needed unless the pack is charged very early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.