R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Anyone know about the HPI Micro RS4? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/18359-anyone-know-about-hpi-micro-rs4.html)

LosiFromHell986 05-16-2003 05:36 PM

Anyone know about the HPI Micro RS4?

Hey guyz!
I'm considering getting backinto the art of...ONROAD! I want a micro, though. Does anyone know the PROs/Cons of The HPI micro rs4? Any opinions are gr8!!! Thanks

Grizzbob 05-16-2003 09:23 PM

Well, I have one , & I have to say there are VERY few cons about it as a for fun car(& even for racing with other guys using Micros). With a 6 cell rechargable battery(& there are plenty of good ones already assembled & ready to run, most are 1100mah NiMh cells which means they respond well to running more than once per day), & the stock motor you can get pretty decent speeds(close to what you'd see from a 1/10 scale car with a Tamiya silver can Mabuchi motor), & they get pretty good grip on plenty of surfaces, especially if you buy some of the other compounds of tires available for different surfaces & conditions. The only things I'd suggest if you wanna get one is you might want to upgrade the steering linkages & rear diff(especially if you want to race it). HPI has a special mounting kit for micro servos(like Hitec's HS-81mg, a VERY good choice for the Micro) that also upgrade the one-piece steering yoke with conventional(& adjustable) tie rods, & HPI's rear ball diff is SO much smoother than the stock gear one that once you try it you'll wonder why HPI didn't include it in the first place(but the front gear diff seems to work fine, I'm still using it in mine, & it works well). Once I got the stuff I needed(as I mentioned), all I had to do to have a blast was get used to driving it, some race days I think I enjoy my Micro even more than my TC3....:D

farn 05-16-2003 09:27 PM

The micro is good car with lots of hops. If I were buying one again, I wouldn't buy the kit and just build one from hop ups and limited stock parts. Or I would pick up a used one on eBay cheap and rebuild it to my specs.

dux 05-17-2003 08:50 PM

I have one, and it's fairly cheap to make it faster than the touring cars. My Speed400 motor plate is in the mail, expect 40mph! It's a great car! Here's a list of the must have upgrades:
1. Front ball diff (stock one eats itself quickly)
2. Alloy Knuckles
3. Alloy dogbones
4. Everything else is strong, so you don't need anything else!!

If you want decent speeds, buy real battery packs from http://www.blindbatts.com and get an Elite Mod motor (about 45$ it's coreless and very torquey).

For more info, visit http://www.yourmicro.com/forums

Intelligentsia 05-18-2003 07:30 PM

The best batteries for the micro come from Promatch.

If you will be racing your micro on a track with others then I would say that a speed 300 with six cells would be an ideal setup.

LosiFromHell986 05-18-2003 08:45 PM

are the batteries still sub c? (dunno anything about micro)

Grizzbob 05-18-2003 09:24 PM

No, if you use the kit supplied battery holder, then you'd use 4 AA or AAA alkalines, or(like most of us) you'd use packs of 2/3 A 1100mah NiMh cells(which is what ProMatch, Ratzas, Orion & others sell). And I'll second the guy who said ProMatch's packs are truly excellent, I have one myself, & it makes quite a noticable difference on track when I install it(pretty much all the guys I race with can tell by running with me when the ProMatch pack's in there).....:cool:

dux 05-19-2003 04:44 PM

If you want to save money on motors, there's an $85 540 motor mod that includes a new chassis, upper deck and rear mount. Check it out if you are a bit speed hungry.

LosiFromHell986 05-19-2003 08:44 PM

I can see many micros in my life, down the road, 14 doesn't make much money...pinchin every penny to get a Rustler... now I gotta get extra money to kick friend's T3's azz....

LosiFromHell986 05-23-2003 09:47 PM

correction... I'm pinchin' every penny to get an RC10T3..... dunno , something changed my mind. I think because I figured that I'm not a beginner..... Dunno.... Micro, I will have one by thanksgiving 2k3

Grizzbob 05-23-2003 11:09 PM

Hey, don't let any experience keep you from getting a micro, I've been racing(fairly seriously) for over 14 years(since the time Bush's FATHER was president, lol), & I got mine for one reason...it's FUN!Yes, it's slower than my TC3, or most other cars I've had, but not by as much as you think, & most importantly, the little thing is just a BLAST to drive, especially racing against other guys who're good with them. I've had some real dogfights with the micro that rank among my favorite races EVER. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a T3 is also a lot of fun, I'm just trying to make you realize that how much experience you have shouldn't be a hindrance in buying a micro....:D

LosiFromHell986 05-24-2003 11:36 PM

here's a list of rc's I've had since I started, BTW i HAVE had onroad/nitros. I started driving when I was 8.

1. Traxxas Hawk (Broke in 3 after launching off 2nd story)
2. Traxxas Nitro 4tec Pro w/ O.S. .12(went out of range, blew up motor, didn't get the car in time, got ran over. BTW i had gotten it 2months be4)
3. RC10 Gold buggy (still building, have to scrounge for parts! lol)
4. Losi LXT (the car w/ the Origional STock Trinity motor lol)
5. Kyosho HydroJet gp w/ .16 (never got around to using, for sale, many peices missing)

And on moday,

6. RC10T3 w/ crowd pleazer body :D :nod: :tire:

LosiFromHell986 05-24-2003 11:37 PM

oh yeah!!!!

And later this year...

7. HPI micro RS4 w/ skyline body! (gunna get a 540 motor mod):nod:

J Smith 05-25-2003 12:08 AM

Here is a picture of my Micro RS4, well one of mine...

http://www.yourmicro.com/forums/atta...=&postid=72143

I know lots of places to save LOTS of cash. For instince. The Micro RS4 RTR or Kit? Its best to get a Kit, it will save you a ton of money. I know places that sell kits for $89.99. And what about a motor? Well Team Orion makes a Elite Mod and a Big Block, the BB is how much $40? Well I can get a Speed 370 for $11. Big Savings.

Also about batteries, yeah you can get some of those Team Orion 7.2 6 cell packs for $35, but... I can get a 6 cell 7.2v which is really a 8.5v, on a peak charger for $16. Its smaller and even lighter than a T.O. Pack.

I know lots a places and lots of people to get the items you need. I have over a year of experience. If you want to know more, just please come to over the forums!

www.yourmicro.com

Look for "Forums" on the main page. My user name is the same over there. And if you want a great Micro setup, fast, reliable, and fun, I'm guessing around $500 will get your setup.

Intelligentsia 05-25-2003 12:29 AM

Oh God,

Please do not plaster photos of your micro here too:D