R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #14761
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 193 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
People, for those who break outdrives, I got a guy milling them at 30 bucks a set. He is looking for someone who can do the pinion in aluminum. This will be to compliment the ring gear in metal from rcmushroom.com. If there is a part that enuf people want in metal, I can get it done. And for all those who are wondering, I am not getting any kickbacks and I am not tacking anything on. Me getting a few bucks for parts wont fatten my bank account. I just want to keep this thread and car alive until they iron out their problems over at HPI. And GUY, let me know when you are heading to Ft. Bennet Field. We need to link up before winter gets here.
Not to say it can not happen. But I have yet to break an outdirve in a crash. And I can crash with the best of them.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #14762
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have snapped one outdrive when the retainer ring slip off after I hit a wall. Didnt realize it until after I was on three wheel drive and found the retainer ring on the track after all the action was done. Figure the belted guys have aluminum, we may as well have em too.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #14763
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
I am going to assume you want to race the car competively as the Pro 4 is a competition level car.

Yes parts are still available now and i imagine will be for at least 2-3 years, but thats a chance you take. I cant see there being an endless supply of diff housings, if you somehow manage to smash one up or strip the screws. I also dont know what non-hpi one-ways will fit in the Pro 4. Chassis' will probably sell out and then if you want BMI to make a batch i believe their minimum is an order of 5 so you have to find other people to go in with you.

In australia the tracks generally seem to be smaller than in the US and and europe and tight technical tracks can be a handfull for shaft drive cars which are supposedly meant to push in the corners. When running mod motors shaft drive cars also experience torque steer (but i believe you are looking at motors like 10T and lower winds which i have never come close to using).

You also need to consider that if you are going to go with a non-mainstream car when you go to a track people cant look at your car and relate to it directly and see issues which another pro 4 driver might imediately see. And if you break parts do you want to have to look around and try to find someone who stocks it or do you prefer the ease of going to your local hobby shop who should be able to order the part in easily.

Ultimately the Pro 4 is great for stock motors (and i expect 19T) especially on tracks which are not tight/technical (carpet with foam tires seems to be a different kettle of fish as any car will stick to it, but i havent raced much on it). If you buy it now you should still get good service out of it but in my opinion if you are starting off you would be better off getting a more common car.

If you do end up getting the Pro 4 and are going to run a one-way diff (which you should if you are not racing carpet) then make sure you stock up on bevel gears, as the Pro 4 is notorious for stripping them. Also before installing the front bevel gears soak them in hot water. Just trust me on that one, its a tip which has been documented by HPI.

And as you can see this thread is still quite active so if you run into problems you can always pop in here and see if anyone can help you.

Incidentally, is there any reason why you are particularly keen on the Pro 4? Do you know a lot of people who have one?
...I hardly know where to start... How long do you plan on racing this car? I don't run one car for racing much past a year (just an opinion but one year of hard racing the car is worn out). I never knew that shaft cars were meant to push in corners (mine does not push)... Most of the tracks I race at are tight technical tracks and the Pro4 works great on them. It depends on the Track but on smaller tracks I have been known to run a diff or spool up front and it has worked great. The one I don't get is the "if you are starting off you would be better off getting a more common car." Like a Tamiya...Who puts out a new version of the 415 every 3 months...Or maybe an Xray...Who has put out 5 new cars since 04, Yokomo is not much better. Associated is now "dumping" their FT TC4 on their web site for $199 and it's a nice car. I was not really to sure on the why he "would be better off
with a more common car". I would still give the Cyclone S a look...Pro4 with a belt...
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #14764
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When i said a more common car i dont think i listed a car because that will depend on your local area. In Sydney i guess about 1/3 of the racers use X-Rays. While if you are racing at a particular track in Adeliade they have heaps of Yokomos, due to the local hobby store.

I like the Tamiya brand name but i doubt i would ever buy one of their top levels kits. Personally if i were starting from scratch right now i would probably choose the cyclone but thats probably heavily based upon the fact that at the moment i am biased towards to the HPI/Bot bodies brand name with the added plus that Hara drives it :P
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #14765
Tech Elite

Oh with shaft cars pushing that is just what ive been told. I must admit that on some tight tracks the car does feel like it pushes through corners but i suspect that is also my inability to set up the car right.

However, one thing is that most of the people i race with use one-ways and dont experiment with ball diffs much unless they are on carpet. With my driving style i suspect that a front ball diff would be more ideal on some tracks but im too lazy to change it over DoH!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #14766
Tech Lord

On some tracks I do like a ball diff more, may not be the fastest but I am more in my comfort zone. I do agree on the Cyclone and If you already have a Pro4 you have some spare parts. The "sport" version of the Cyclone is quite adept at asphalt racing, maybe more so than the full on graphite model. The price is what has me leaning this way...$179 US, That is a great price for a nice car, If you have a pro4 you can change shocks, the Cyclone uses plastic shocks, But then so does Xray. I just listed a "few" other cars. I guess my point on this (or that) is just because HPI is discontinuing the Pro4 does not mean that they will stop making parts for it, In fact HPI has a good track record on supporting their cars even after the car is out of production. A claim few other manufactures can make, Try to find parts for some of Tamiya's older cars (Evo3,414,earliy 415's). Kyosho is also bad about this. I just don't think that getting the Pro4 is bad, It's still a competitive car, you can still get parts for it, it's flaws are well known so you know just what your getting.

Last edited by xxxkat; 10-06-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #14767
Tech Master

Mike

Did you get the truck?

If so what do you think?
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #14768
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman72
Mike

Did you get the truck?

If so what do you think?
Sorry Dave, Yes I did. I should have called you on that. I'm cool with it...Did you have those side plates...Still interested in them... When your in town give me a call and come get the Radio...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #14769
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to GuyIsDamGood

Hey bxpitbull; I was thinking about going to Floyd Bennett sometime during the week. I only have spare time during the Weekdays because My Weekend Job(Manage a Limousine Co.) keeps me busy all weekend.
I`m thinking about next Monday, October 9th(Columbus Day). My kids don`t have school that day and they can help carry my stuff to the track.

I agree with xxxkat on what he said about the other R.C. companies. HPI and Hot Bodies offer you the Most Kit for an alright price; and you don`t have to go crazy on the Hop-Ups.
-2nd Place goes to Team Associated`s Factory Team TC4.
-3rd Place goes to Team Losi`s JRX-S.

I`m hooked on Aluminum. The more Aluminum a kit has the more I like it.(Think about it; the Aluminum parts are what you see.) That`s why I like Tamiya Kits so much.
-If the Pro 4 had Purple Aluminum Rear Uprights, Purple Aluminum Motor Heat-Sink and some more Purple Aluminum Stuff around the Steering area; it would be a Better looking kit. . . . .

Anyone Agree?

Take Care.
GuyIsDamGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #14770
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to vic2367 Send a message via Yahoo to vic2367

if anyones interested im selling my pro4 with novak 6.5 brushless ,,no reciever ,,pm me if interested ,,,
vic2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #14771
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to GuyIsDamGood
Default Need Info On Item# 31412

I would like to get those Aluminum Damper-End Ball pieces(Item # 31412).
-I can`t find that item on any HPI sites(U.S. or Europe).

Someone please give me some info.

Thanks

I see it`s starting to get Dead on this Pro 4 Spot. I told you guys it`s a killer to talk about a kit that is Discontinued.

Take Care.
GuyIsDamGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #14772
Tech Elite

The Pro 4 thread will not die that easily!!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #14773
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Got a quote for the aluminum outdrives

The Aluminum Outdrives for the Pro 4 will be $31 a set shipped. For those outside the US, if interested, please hit me for overseas charges.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #14774
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

whats up guys i have a BMI carpet chassis set with shocktowers and top deck from when i had my PRO4 if anyone is interested just send me PM i have a cyclone now and have no use for this .
Old 10-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #14775
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
The Aluminum Outdrives for the Pro 4 will be $31 a set shipped. For those outside the US, if interested, please hit me for overseas charges.
Team associated makes a set of 4 carbon ones that are a direct fit for the Pro 4. They are stronger, lighter, and much cheaper. It costs as much for 1 HPI aluminum one, as it does for 4 carbon ones from associated.
Giant655 is offline   Reply With Quote