R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #14731
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The only thing I have broke(n) on my Pro 4 is the front shock tower, an A arm and a few universals (damn that GTB is powerful!). Nothing has caused me any serious grief and with the glitch problems I was encountering, I consider myself lucky.

I will have the aluminum outdrives in about two weeks. Forget bling, I am going for function (with a lil bling factor ).

Turn signal, speaking of heatsinks. Understanding you really dont do aftermarket, that 3racing heatsink w/fan keeps my motor waaaaayyyy cool! My motor hasnt broke 126 since I installed it. With the MaxAmps 6000mah, I have run my car for 20 minutes in pratice. Me and one of my cats go head up and both cars run smooth as butter. He is pushing a T2 with LRP/neo 4star and 4800mah Peak. When checking temps after putting in laps, his motor reads at around 140. That is a hell of a difference in temps.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #14732
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to GuyIsDamGood

Hey bxpitbull; you`re running a Brushless Motor in your Pro 4.....you`re doing some fast speeds. I`m running a 19-Turn Peak Dynasty Motor in My Pro 4; that`s why I`m not breaking anything.....Ha Ha!

I`ve seen the 3-Racing Aluminum Motor Heat-Sinks.....If I would get a Heat-Sink it would be from Integy(but I know the 3-Racing fits.....you showed me a picture).

Since My Pro 4 is now in a Nice Box; I might get a Tamiya TB Evo 5. But the price.....I`ll save money by taking all of the Electronics from My TT-01 and put them into the TB Evo 5.....Ha Ha!
-I need something New to deal with. My TB Evo 4 and TT-01 doesn`t run too well; so I have to get another Top Kit.

Take Care.
GuyIsDamGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #14733
Tech Fanatic

Hey there, I would like to know is this car Hpi Pro4 still worth getting it???

The reason I asked about this is that I have heard rumours that this car would soon be out of production. Is this true???
Tpg racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #14734
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Hey there, I would like to know is this car Hpi Pro4 still worth getting it???

The reason I asked about this is that I have heard rumours that this car would soon be out of production. Is this true???
Check the HPI site, the Pro4 is listed as discontinued. The question is how long will HPI make replacement parts.

Others have had good luck. I'm not as careful or skillful. I have broken several diff gears, arms, and dog bones. You can use TC4 dog bones, but only HPI diff gears and arms fit, so if those are not readily available, its a real problem.

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 AM   #14735
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm sure they'll still suppport the car for a while. Doesn't it share suspension parts with the Cyclone? If so I can't imagine them discontinuing them any time soon.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 AM   #14736
Tech Fanatic

Yea I have heard that Cyclone's arms fits the Pro4.

But what about other parts???

Differential, bevel gears and so on would still need to be replaced anytime later.

I have long wanted a Pro4 but the news about the car have been discontinued makes me worried about the parts availability soon.

Should I even get a Pro4 at this particular time???
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #14737
Tech Initiate

There is still a plentiful supply of parts for the Pro 4 available.
vroomtshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #14738
Tech Master

If there is concern about breaking stuff, the outdrives are the perfect thing to have "bullet-proofed". I have a guy that is milling out aluminum outdrives for the Pro4.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 AM   #14739
Tech Master

When you are buying replacement a-arms for the Cyclone you are using HPI part numbers.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #14740
Tech Fanatic

So what is the moral of this question???

Should I still consider getting a Pro4 or not???
Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #14741
Tech Master

Depends on what you plan on doing. I just bought my Hara Pro 4 about 3 months ago. It is brushless, Li-Po powered and has a regular Pro4 in parts for parts. Drive like you stole something and you break less (people who baby their cars usually crash more). Parts? As long as Ebay is around, you will always be able to get parts. Look around, the Pro 2 has been discontinued for like EVER and you can get parts on Ebay for that car like it is still in production. Belts have better diff access and unless you are looking at the T2R or Cyclone S, belt cars are MAD expensive. If you heart is in it for a Pro4, rock on. If you are looking to get a car that changes like the weather and is costly, get an Xray or Tamiya. Remember this, your local hobby store has a relationship with what products???

Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #14742
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tpg Racer, The Pro 4 has been around for a while and still dutifully serving many racers. However, the way i see it with the car being discontinued i think you would be better off going with something else.

Ive found the car to be quite durable and yes the majority of suspension parts will be available for a while as they are compatible with the cyclone, but you dont want to break your chassis and not be able to replace it 1 year down the track and have to learn to drive a new car.

The main problem is that shaft drives are so out at the moment that there are not many to choose from. From what ive heard the TC4 is pretty ordinary (and that will probably be discontinued with talk of the TC5 being belt driven) while tamiya shaft drives dont seem to have a particularly long service run (people should correct me if im wrong on that).

If you do go with the Pro 4 perhaps you may want to consider buying a second kit or finding a second hand one for spares.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #14743
Tech Master

[QUOTE=mangoman]

If you do go with the Pro 4 perhaps you may want to consider buying a second kit or finding a second hand one for spares.[/
QUOTE]

Depends on what you plan on doing. I just bought my Hara Pro 4 about 3 months ago. It is brushless, Li-Po powered and has a regular Pro4 in parts for parts. Drive like you stole something and you break less (people who baby their cars usually crash more). <----from me in a post earlier

Last edited by bxpitbull; 10-05-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #14744
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I just mailed my dude some spare plastic outdrives for him to make aluminum molds out of. He states that there will be space to accomodate the blades from the Cyclone. I will have pricing for all interested.

hi, please pm me the price when you get to know i would be interested in it. thanks

EngTat
Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #14745
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngTat
hi, please pm me the price when you get to know i would be interested in it. thanks

EngTat
Will do. I should know something tonight.