R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 AM   #14521
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Now here is the kicker...I ran a ball diff when I first put the car together, running the GTB with a neo one 3 star (yes, they are compatible)..tore the ball diff out the frame in like 3 minutes. So, why the spool in the Hara kit if it sucks? And trust me, it does. The one way makes braking a chore. My Pro 2 was easier to drive, but it was a task with the cells. And, seeing that there are no CVD's made of steel, what is available (another manufacturer maybe) that has STEEL for the power of the 4.5? I treated myself to this vehicle and I feel that HPI is crapping on it favoring the cyclone. While the cars essentially are the same, why no support and hop ups for the Pro 4? HPI got me with the Pro 3 (I had one, carbon fibered out) and I hope they didnt get me again
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #14522
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Well, if you are looking for balls out speed and you are running the GTB/4.5 combo, go 64 pitch 98/24. This will give a 9.9 final drive and the car is a friggin rocket.
That doesn't exactly answer my question but if you're getting a 98 in there that helps. I run a stock motor and am looking for a FDR of 6-7.5. Thanks.

Any one else?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #14523
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well if i remember correctly the kit comes with a 100 tooth 64 pitch spur, and that is also the largest spur HPI list as an option part on their website for the Pro 4 (although that doesnt really mean much)
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #14524
Tech Regular

98 comes with the car
6 - 7.5 ratio = 32t through 39t pinion.
dstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #14525
Tech Fanatic

But the 98 that comes with the car is a 48 pitch.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #14526
Tech Regular

did you get yours used or something?
mine came with a 64.
dstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #14527
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
But the 98 that comes with the car is a 48 pitch.
No it isnt. Learn your car, man. The 98 included is 64 pitch. Go with 100/35 64 pitch and that'll give you a final drive of 6.96. Does THAT answer your question?!?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #14528
Tech Elite

Heya bxpitbull, in my opinion there are plenty of hop ups for the Pro4 if you want them, but the car is getting on in age now and as any manufacturer which brings out a new item they will go all out to promote their new product which they have just spent money developing.

I have a pro4 v1.1 and a second for spares and in my opinion as it is the 1.1 has enuff hop ups on it that you need in anycase, and most of the other upgrades (such as what comes with the hara edition) are *!*!*!*!*!BLING!*!*!*!*!*

Not that this a bad thing

With regards to your query these are the CVDs you want. I'm trying to save up enuff cash and justify getting them as people in this thread have previously stated they have torn off the fronts of their cars including arms, and these things are still straight.

http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/pr...roduct_id=3977
Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #14529

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Now here is the kicker...I ran a ball diff when I first put the car together, running the GTB with a neo one 3 star (yes, they are compatible)..tore the ball diff out the frame in like 3 minutes. So, why the spool in the Hara kit if it sucks? And trust me, it does. The one way makes braking a chore. My Pro 2 was easier to drive, but it was a task with the cells. And, seeing that there are no CVD's made of steel, what is available (another manufacturer maybe) that has STEEL for the power of the 4.5? I treated myself to this vehicle and I feel that HPI is crapping on it favoring the cyclone. While the cars essentially are the same, why no support and hop ups for the Pro 4? HPI got me with the Pro 3 (I had one, carbon fibered out) and I hope they didnt get me again
AS for CVD's, anything made of steel for the TC3 will fit the Pro4.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #14530
Tech Elite

Oooppss apologies i just checked my pit box and yes its a 98 which comes with the kit. But i rarely used it as i started in 540 and with the maximum 50T pinion that HPI made i still couldnt get the rollout everyone else was using and had to go to HPIs smallest spur of 94 before i realised i could go 48pitch and use other manufacturers DoH!

I dont know if its still a problem or not with the newer motor mounts which come with the Hara Edition but my pinions only line up on 2/3 of the spur, and this with the smaller teeth on the 64 pitch gears meant i started stripping a lot of spurs.

Now I use a motor spacer i think it was made by speed mind or something and longer motor screws.

And the HPI Europe site still lists the 100T spur as a valid hop up.
http://www.hpieurope.com/options.php?lang=en&partNo=187
Old 07-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #14531
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
No it isnt. Learn your car, man. The 98 included is 64 pitch. Go with 100/35 64 pitch and that'll give you a final drive of 6.96. Does THAT answer your question?!?
Excuse me. The spur that came with my car was a 48 pitch. I got it used and just assumed that's what came with it. Sheesh!

THAT certainly clears things up some.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 07-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #14532
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
That doesn't exactly answer my question but if you're getting a 98 in there that helps. I run a stock motor and am looking for a FDR of 6-7.5. Thanks.

Any one else?
Did you get a manual with your Pro4? It has a gear chart on page 32. If you don't have one here's some in the area you wanted.
Ratios if your running a 98 (stock spur)98/32 = 7.46, 98/33 = 7.24, 98/34 = 7.03, 98/35 = 6.83, 98/36 = 6.64, 98/37 = 6.46, 98/38 = 6.29, 98/39 = 6.13, 98/40 = 5.97
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #14533
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman

With regards to your query these are the CVDs you want. I'm trying to save up enuff cash and justify getting them as people in this thread have previously stated they have torn off the fronts of their cars including arms, and these things are still straight.

before going out and buy expensive bones.. beef up the front bumper like the P-dub and install a TC3 bumper plate. you'll find that this will cure all front end breakage.

The best I've used thus far is the TC4 HD dog bones. I had mine re-anodized to purple to match.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #14534
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
Heya bxpitbull, in my opinion there are plenty of hop ups for the Pro4 if you want them, but the car is getting on in age now and as any manufacturer which brings out a new item they will go all out to promote their new product which they have just spent money developing.

I have a pro4 v1.1 and a second for spares and in my opinion as it is the 1.1 has enuff hop ups on it that you need in anycase, and most of the other upgrades (such as what comes with the hara edition) are *!*!*!*!*!BLING!*!*!*!*!*

Not that this a bad thing

That is exactly what I was looking for. As far as steel ball diffs, I notice that there is an all steel ball diff for the TC3. Is there a company doing the same for the Pro4? Forgive me, this car was a gift to myself, for I have been a HPI Savage Junkie the last year and some change.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #14535
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies
before going out and buy expensive bones.. beef up the front bumper like the P-dub and install a TC3 bumper plate. you'll find that this will cure all front end breakage.

The best I've used thus far is the TC4 HD dog bones. I had mine re-anodized to purple to match.

One of my dogs recommended those as well. The titanium ones appear to be a good look as well. The crashing and front end breakage isnt my problem, it's the slip sliding and breaking of the rear bones that is giving me fever