R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #13891
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak

thanx bro's! is it me or is this car starting to dissappear from competitive circles?
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #13892
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaak
thanx bro's! is it me or is this car starting to dissappear from competitive circles?
Btw, once you change the 1way gears make sure you clean the whole gearbox with tissue. Bits of plastic materials from your broken gear can damage the new one. Hope this helps you.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #13893
Tech Apprentice

The car is still plenty competitive, it's just that some newer cars have come out and thats what people have switched to. Look at the Snowbirds standings. It's all Xray and Corally in the upper ranks. Give those guys this car and the same names would be up there.

I will say I am surprised that there are not more guys running the Losi. A lot of the fast guys at my track are running one but I don't see many at the birds. For that matter Tamiya builds some nice cars but I don't think I saw any of them listed.

Regardless I am happy with my car and plan on running it for a long time. The fact that I can get parts so easily for it and can choose from several companies for some of the parts (C hubs, cvd's, steering hubs) makes it even nicer.

Greg
Old 02-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #13894
Tech Addict

geetoo....that's plenty! thanx! i've had this car since nov of '04. and i must say it is the most difficult HPI car for me to tune. i've had 'em all from the original RS4 up to the pro4. the pro2 (imo) was the fastest of the series. speed seems to escape me with the "4". but forums like this, i'm gaining valuable info daily. so i'm getting that much faster with the car. i had a small mod i wanna try at my local carpet track. if this don't work then i'm sunk!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #13895
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Yeah good to hear you all "4". I can tell you this is one of the fastest though. If you get everything right, man its an awesome car. Goodluck!
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #13896
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

nomaak, thanx bro's! is it me or is this car starting to dissappear from competitive circles?

You can tell which cars are still the most popular by simply looking at rctech threads, there over 13,000 posts just on the pro4! Amazing! The pro4 is hands down the best shaft drive TC I've owned, and there have been lots in my stable. The pro4 may not be the "flavor of the month" But most of us have owned one at one time, I found myself comming back to it after jumping to other "flavors" I never watch what the big dogs are driving anymore, afterall theyre paid to drive that company's car, next month(s) it will be for somebody else.
I'm just to the point now where these $400 TC's better last me a few seasons, luckily HPI isnt one of those companies who puts out a revised edition ever 6 months
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #13897
Tech Addict

true dat! outside on the asphalt, the car was simply magic! it was hard to get the set-up wrong! the thing seemed to drive off telemetry! but the carpet has been my greatest challenge....BTW, dodgeguy....can i bother you for your droop settings and chassis plates? your set-up so far looks VERY promising!

hobbipro...yes the pro4 tread has a lot of posts but you're missing one point.....this car has been out YEARS longer than the other "current" cars. . that's gotta say something for it's design.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #13898
Tech Apprentice

Nomaak,

Dodgeguy is running the BMI chasis and luckily I have the same car and run at the same place as he does.

I am not sure what his doing for droop but for me I measure it by holding the wheels down with one hand and lifting the chasis. I currently have it at 2mm front and rear. With the setup he has listed you can fine tune the weight transfer with the droop to adjust your traction.

Greg
Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #13899
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
nomaak, thanx bro's! is it me or is this car starting to dissappear from competitive circles?

You can tell which cars are still the most popular by simply looking at rctech threads, there over 13,000 posts just on the pro4! Amazing! The pro4 is hands down the best shaft drive TC I've owned, and there have been lots in my stable. The pro4 may not be the "flavor of the month" But most of us have owned one at one time, I found myself comming back to it after jumping to other "flavors" I never watch what the big dogs are driving anymore, afterall theyre paid to drive that company's car, next month(s) it will be for somebody else.
I'm just to the point now where these $400 TC's better last me a few seasons, luckily HPI isnt one of those companies who puts out a revised edition ever 6 months

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #13900
Tech Addict

thanks greg, i'll try that. i think my over-all set-up is too stiff. it's close to the andy moore set-up, but i'm using 70wt front, 60wt losi in the rear with AE white(f) & AE pur(r) springs. i have 1.5mm pivot spacers 'cept with 1.875mm in the front-rear mount. but this year i'm gonna run "real" foams, instead of using gas foams on carpet. the X-rayT1 and the shuie didn't mind but the "4" hates 'em.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #13901
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

i think the pro4 is still a strong platform. even thought it has been out for a while it still caught my eye as the car that i wanted to wheel for the new onroad track that is opening near me. being that this is my 1st venture into onroad electric besides micro's i dont know what to expect from a on road car or where to start with the setup changes.

i will be running on a sealed ashfault track with rubber tires and a 19t motor (the new integy evo) and most likely the c27 tires( i think thats what they were)

if anyone could help me out with gearing, and set up tips please do so. any help would be greatley appreicated
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #13902
Tech Addict

i don't know about anyone else, but my "4" felt best with stock set-up on asphalt. and this was with older 27gl take-offs and 50 degree weather. i thought the one-way would hurt the car's performance but 85cents worth of ballast (towards the rear) brought the car up to speed.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #13903
Tech Apprentice

micrors4guy ,

I don't know much about setting up for asphault but the HPI site has a lot of setup sheets on there and the majority are for outdoors with rubber tires so that may be a good starting point.

For the Integy motor you will want to gear high like around a 1.3 on roll out. 19's like it tall, just keep and eye on the color of the comm and and brush spring tension.

Greg
Old 02-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #13904
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

im starting to see the term rollout alot for setup reasons with the on road stuff. can you tell me how to measure this?

from te sounds of it it seem as roll out is how far the car travels b4 the motor makes one revoloution?
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #13905
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 193 (99%+)

I think I have ran like a 1.4 rollout for 19 turn whan I have ran it.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote