R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2005, 05:04 AM   #13516
Tech Regular
 
work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: www.work-wheels.co.jp
Posts: 405
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Is this normal wear on the square alum drive cups? I got it new, raced it once with 23t. This wear only happened on the rear, the front still looks new

work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:54 AM   #13517
Tech Master
 
Dongskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,739
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by work
Is this normal wear on the square alum drive cups? I got it new, raced it once with 23t. This wear only happened on the rear, the front still looks new

WORK: Normally yes... why? basically because of the law of physics apply.

The motor turns the spur gear and the spur gear turns your cup, the load is then applied to the rear cup into the shaft and the front diff.. the wear is at its heaviest when the front wheels are turned (steeering) and when throttle is applied simultaneously...

Since the speed of rotation of the front and rear differentials differ during turning, much of the load is then applied to the rear cup because most of the power comes from the spur gear... A slight slack can also add to this wear.
__________________
Bajer 1/5th
Dongskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #13518
Tech Regular
 
floodo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 452
Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Kick-ass... thanks for the advice..

Also, i have the 1.1, wondering if it's worthwhile swapping the input shafts over to a 1-piece unit. (I have alu units in but it's a shaft only)
There is a lot of kick-back in the system from the number of pins needed to keep the bevel gears on, the spur adaptor etc..

There's a one-piece spur adaptor-input shaft, and there's a 1-piece alu bevel gear shaft. Has anyone used these? (i think they're standard on the hara ed.)

Worth the upgrade?

Cheers guys..
the hara edition comes with purple front input shaft (still uses plastic gear), and purple rear input shaft with integrated spur gear mount (still uses plastic gear)

the 2005 edition (japan) comes with silver input shafts that have integrated bevel gears. the rear shaft does NOT have integrated spur gear adapter, so it uses the reg spur gear adapter plate.

both hara and 2005 shafts are alum.

the purple shafts on the hara car have ALWAYS been availabe for the pro4 as a hopup.

-------

now which one to use?
if you're going through front bevel gears a lot you MAY want to get the front alum bevel gear. this will keep that gear from braking, but may cause you to go through diff gears

in the rear there seems to be NO reason to use the alum bevel gear. so using the purple hara shaft is a better idea. not to mention the spur gear mounting plate is integrated on the purple shaft so its a win win.

the alum bevel shafts are avail individually, however the purple shafts are sold only as a set.

------

furthermore aftermarket companies (TiR & Square) sell titanium front input shafts, which should be lighter than the purple alum part.
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #13519
Tech Regular
 
floodo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 452
Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by work
Is this normal wear on the square alum drive cups? I got it new, raced it once with 23t. This wear only happened on the rear, the front still looks new

in my experience with the alum center drive cups i have NOT seen that much wear. i run 19t almost exclusively (D5 19t arm, handwound 24deg timing). i also use kit alum center shaft.

first off LUBE YOUR CENTER SHAFT. this is FAR less critical then dogbones (which see more angular movement), but still helps out some.

i'm really not sure why your cups are wearing so much. it must be that your shaft pins do not fit so well, or something. that is very wierd considering my experience with the drive cups.

are your drive cups HPI or some other brand?

and im not clear, but you say that much wear happened after only ONE race day? the cups had no wear prior to that?
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #13520
Tech Addict
 
AngryAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Ahhhh....

i was just hoping to get rid of some of the slop! there seems to be a decent about of wind-up before all the seperate transmission parts are torqued enough for the car to launch. I put it down to the number of pins used to keep the gears and adaptors on the shafts. (I can only assume this gets worse with wear)

Using either the one-piece spur adaptor-shaft or the alu bevel gear shafts would eliminate some pins... and using the alu drive cups should eliminate any further slop from an ill-fitting plastic centre drive cup.
The only "free" pin would then be the spur adaptor... but a single pin versus 5 is a good reduction.

N.B my outdrives are in good condition, as are my cvd's and diffs so hopeuflly i've got all bases covered!

Wow.. those centre cups wear fast! You sure that's normal! kinda scary... my stock ones although not really true to the centre of the shaft show jack all wear and tear. Must be that they can flex and absorb some force?
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #13521
Tech Regular
 
work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: www.work-wheels.co.jp
Posts: 405
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongskie
WORK: Normally yes... why? basically because of the law of physics apply.

The motor turns the spur gear and the spur gear turns your cup, the load is then applied to the rear cup into the shaft and the front diff.. the wear is at its heaviest when the front wheels are turned (steeering) and when throttle is applied simultaneously...

Since the speed of rotation of the front and rear differentials differ during turning, much of the load is then applied to the rear cup because most of the power comes from the spur gear... A slight slack can also add to this wear.
Thanks for that explanation. I'll bring the car over so you can help me eliminate some of the slack. Such a waste of bling if this wear continues
work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #13522
Tech Regular
 
work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: www.work-wheels.co.jp
Posts: 405
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodo1
in my experience with the alum center drive cups i have NOT seen that much wear. i run 19t almost exclusively (D5 19t arm, handwound 24deg timing). i also use kit alum center shaft.

first off LUBE YOUR CENTER SHAFT. this is FAR less critical then dogbones (which see more angular movement), but still helps out some.

i'm really not sure why your cups are wearing so much. it must be that your shaft pins do not fit so well, or something. that is very wierd considering my experience with the drive cups.

are your drive cups HPI or some other brand?

and im not clear, but you say that much wear happened after only ONE race day? the cups had no wear prior to that?
I got the HPI graphite shaft used but in very good condition. Even before the race it was a perfect fit on the Square drive cups. Its the first race on a brand new car. I'll try swapping out the Graphite shaft cause I have a new one but I dont think that it might be the culprit.

Does HPI have the alum drive cups? I got the Square brand cause I had no problems with any of their products before. Maybe its made of softer material compared to the HPI. Any thoughts

Yup only one race. Everything was brand new except for the graphite shaft.
work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #13523
Tech Regular
 
work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: www.work-wheels.co.jp
Posts: 405
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Wow.. those centre cups wear fast! You sure that's normal! kinda scary... my stock ones although not really true to the centre of the shaft show jack all wear and tear. Must be that they can flex and absorb some force?
I know, didnt expect this after only 1 race
work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #13524
Tech Addict
 
AngryAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

you're using the "Square" units huh...

Those were the one's i was going to order preferrentially over the HPi units because they have 4 cutouts. I figured if they wore i'd do a flip and they'd be good again.

Actually, to be honest i thought they mix flex a little more than the hpi units (only two cutouts and more solid looking - heavier too i believe) and maybe lessen the wear.

might hold off until soemone with experience of the HPI units gives us some feedback!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:03 PM   #13525
Tech Regular
 
floodo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 452
Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1
Default

i have the actual HPI units. they also have 4 cutouts...2 positions.

perhaps the square units are of a softer material. not really sure.

thats an odd problem man, good luck, looks like you'll need it
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #13526
Tech Lord
 
Oasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: * Sin Cal *
Posts: 10,320
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Pro4 was fast last night..
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #13527
Tech Regular
 
floodo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 452
Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
Pro4 was fast last night..
yeah pro4 can even beat ppl on foams sometimes

hahah nice that i finally have a setup that works decently got rid of all but the slowest speed oversteer!

yay for one-ways
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #13528
Tech Elite
 
fjm9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 3,003
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

oneway with foam
__________________
Xray '007 US and a bunch of other outdated stuff
fjm9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #13529
Tech Lord
 
Oasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: * Sin Cal *
Posts: 10,320
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodo1
yeah pro4 can even beat ppl on foams sometimes

hahah nice that i finally have a setup that works decently got rid of all but the slowest speed oversteer!

yay for one-ways
I should have said Pro4's..
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #13530
Tech Regular
 
floodo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 452
Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm9898
oneway with foam
hahah no no mike and i ran rubber tires (him with diff, me with oneway) against a guy with a non pro4 with foams
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:16 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0