R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2005, 09:04 PM   #12511
Tech Addict
 
josh69162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: houston
Posts: 640
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Check the front bevel gear. It's the small one that looks like a mushroom. It could be broken, rounded, or stripped.

As for mesh, you'll want a "tick" of play between gears. Improper mesh will skip gears under braking or acceleration. It won't do it off the ground b/c there isn't enough resistance on the tranny to make it jump gears.
A way you can check to see if the mesh is to tight, is take off the pinion gear so the drivetrain can 't be engaged, and simply roll the car back and forth a few times. You shouldn't hear anything, and if it doesn't coast smoothly, you may have a crimped bearing or too tight a mesh. It may not be super easy to detect a crimped bearing. My Pro4 rolled just fine until I stripped it down and rolled each bearing by hand. So if something is excessively loud, it is probably a tight gear mesh.
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #12512
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 712
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Check the front bevel gear. It's the small one that looks like a mushroom. It could be broken, rounded, or stripped.

As for mesh, you'll want a "tick" of play between gears. Improper mesh will skip gears under braking or acceleration. It won't do it off the ground b/c there isn't enough resistance on the tranny to make it jump gears.

Thanks for those of you who helped me out. Pro4Capece: Is there anyway I can tighten up the mesh on the pro 4? I heard such thing is done on Tamiya evo III drivetrain. Any help is appreciated as this is my 1st shaft car.

Jason
Yellowtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:11 AM   #12513
Tech Elite
 
fjm9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 3,003
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

there are shims that go on the input shafts and diff outdrives. look in the manual and shim those according to it. and work from there. if you think its to tight take some out. mainly just play withit untill you get the driver train how you want it. i took most of the shimmes off the input shafts to free up teh drivetrain but on had impacts the looser mesh risks breaking gears but you get a more free drive train. also every car is just a bit different so how one person shimms their car might be different to another car to get the same effect. really what i would say is just take the time to play with the shimms and get the drivetrain you feel is right for you.
__________________
Xray '007 US and a bunch of other outdated stuff
fjm9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 AM   #12514
Tech Regular
 
floodo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 452
Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Please don't spend your money on that. It only adds weight and will tweak after a few good licks. Run a P-Dub front bumper. Rock solid, super light weight, and gives better protection than the BRP bumper. I've tried both, and will never again run a car without a P-Dub bumper.

p-dub bumper is avail from where?
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #12515
Tech Elite
 
ChadCapece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CofC
Posts: 3,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodo1
p-dub bumper is avail from where?
http://pdubracing.com/products.htm
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #12516
Tech Champion
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Excel just released new CF chassis to fit the larger 3600-3800 cells.
also released were new upperdeck and gold nitride shock shafts.



__________________
HB WCE HARA EDITION CYCLONE: LRP Sphere TC, KO 2363 digital servo.
HB HARA EDITION PRO4: Gone to a new home..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #12517
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,041
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Please don't spend your money on that. It only adds weight and will tweak after a few good licks. Run a P-Dub front bumper. Rock solid, super light weight, and gives better protection than the BRP bumper. I've tried both, and will never again run a car without a P-Dub bumper.
Too late....I have used the BRP one for about 3 months, so far, didn't break 1 single arm......but you are correct, they do deform a little, but I bent it back, just like new...
So the P-Dub bumper is just another foam bumper....not a hard plastic flat bumper like the BRP..? And strong enough to protect the ARMS from minor impact..?
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #12518
Tech Elite
 
fjm9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 3,003
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

yes teh p-dub material is some of the strongest flexable foamout there. its just a little thinner then the stock one so you might need to modify it, i did to mine and soon i am going to reshape the oiginal and CA it to the top o fthe p-dub as body support
__________________
Xray '007 US and a bunch of other outdated stuff
fjm9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #12519
Tech Fanatic
 
Arun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 753
Default

I also have Paul's bumper on my car, and it is very nice! It helps save the front bevel gears for sure.
__________________
http://nexusracing.com
Arun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #12520
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ROAR HAD ME BANNED FROM RC TECH.
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
yes teh p-dub material is some of the strongest flexable foamout there. its just a little thinner then the stock one so you might need to modify it, i did to mine and soon i am going to reshape the oiginal and CA it to the top o fthe p-dub as body support
It stands up to abuse rather well for sure. I just trimmed the two spacer posts toward the rear of the bumper down so that the bumper brace fit the thinner bumper. Takes just a minute with a sharp hobby knife.

I've taken some pretty hard hits and stuffed the car *really* hard a few times now and I have not broken anything, the car rebounds more with this bumper. The bumper has taken some damage, but is holding up much better than the HPI one.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #12521
Tech Champion
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Parma just came out with series of new HD foam bumpers for popular touring cars..including the Pro4... made of same material as the P-dubs...
__________________
HB WCE HARA EDITION CYCLONE: LRP Sphere TC, KO 2363 digital servo.
HB HARA EDITION PRO4: Gone to a new home..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:49 PM   #12522
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Socal
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Hey everyone i'm a new Pro4 owner and was wondering if someone could help me out. I purchased this car from a friend who raced it on carpet. My local track is Socal Raceway in Huntington Beach. It is an indoor asphalt track that is well groomed. I was wondering if anyone has a general setup for this track or type of track in general. I raced tonight and the car was all over the place. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pat
impp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #12523
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ROAR HAD ME BANNED FROM RC TECH.
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ball studs.

What are you guys using for replacement ball studs, other than the HPI ones? I keep shearing them off like crazy. There are some nasty corner dots at the track I run, they can send the car airborn and when it comes down on an angle whichever wheel impacts shears off a stud. It doesn't happen often, but when it does its kind of annoying.

I've tried the purple aluminum ones, same issue, and the stock replacements. Anyone have the name or part number of a good titanium replacement, preferably with the hex head like the HPI ones?
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #12524
Tech Champion
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by impp83
Hey everyone i'm a new Pro4 owner and was wondering if someone could help me out. I purchased this car from a friend who raced it on carpet. My local track is Socal Raceway in Huntington Beach. It is an indoor asphalt track that is well groomed. I was wondering if anyone has a general setup for this track or type of track in general. I raced tonight and the car was all over the place. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pat
try HPI website... Thad's set-up for Socal might be posted...
__________________
HB WCE HARA EDITION CYCLONE: LRP Sphere TC, KO 2363 digital servo.
HB HARA EDITION PRO4: Gone to a new home..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:53 PM   #12525
Tech Champion
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas
What are you guys using for replacement ball studs, other than the HPI ones? I keep shearing them off like crazy. There are some nasty corner dots at the track I run, they can send the car airborn and when it comes down on an angle whichever wheel impacts shears off a stud. It doesn't happen often, but when it does its kind of annoying.

I've tried the purple aluminum ones, same issue, and the stock replacements. Anyone have the name or part number of a good titanium replacement, preferably with the hex head like the HPI ones?
Square RC makes titanium version of the HPI hex ball studs... Try AllSpeed or Speedtech... they both carry Square products...
__________________
HB WCE HARA EDITION CYCLONE: LRP Sphere TC, KO 2363 digital servo.
HB HARA EDITION PRO4: Gone to a new home..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:20 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0