R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #12136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks a bunch axel
Old 07-16-2005, 05:09 AM   #12137
Tech Regular

going to run the pro4 on parking lot track, which should i try, ball diff, spool, one-way?
owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #12138
Tech Master

which class you running? Generally one-way all the way.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #12139
Tech Adept

i've been told the Pro4's drivetrain will be very noisy and whiny if the front metal input shaft is used with the Square alu. bevel gear ... any truth to that and if so any solutions to the problem??

thanx .
hapiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:11 AM   #12140
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If the car is tweaked and the mount rubs the steering plate, it sounds like a bent screw. If not, then loosen the front mount slightly and move it forward alittle, then loosen the back one and move it forward alittle. There is about +/-.5 mm of adjustment there. I have found that if you run the delrin balls on the hinge pins, you need to make sure there is just a tick of play for the arm between the mounts, otherwise you will have a tweak. Just loosen one side a little and push is away from the arm slightly then tighten the screw. See if that fixes your problem.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #12141
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1
If the car is tweaked and the mount rubs the steering plate, it sounds like a bent screw. If not, then loosen the front mount slightly and move it forward alittle, then loosen the back one and move it forward alittle. There is about +/-.5 mm of adjustment there. I have found that if you run the delrin balls on the hinge pins, you need to make sure there is just a tick of play for the arm between the mounts, otherwise you will have a tweak. Just loosen one side a little and push is away from the arm slightly then tighten the screw. See if that fixes your problem.
thanks for the help, but i fixed it by totally disassembling it and assembling it again. It some how got fixed.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #12142

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens
going to run the pro4 on parking lot track, which should i try, ball diff, spool, one-way?
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. My P-Lot track is bumpy but its a level / linear type of bump with a good coating of tar or whatever black sealer they use. So its bumpy but its kinda a small bump.

Then it has normally VHT applied to it. What would you guys suggest?

Here is a couple of shots of the track that I got during the HPI challenge in orlando.

Let me know what you would classify this as. Grip wise & bump wise and however else you see it. Ive had trouble hypothesizing about it. Since it has so many factors. But its generally the same throughout. Im going to show a few pictures cause some make it look more bumpy than others. Some areas are bumpier than others a bit too. You can also enjoy a few concours photos at the same time.

As you can see its kinda almost smooth but it has bumps. But its not just some standard dusty lot it has that black sealer. So im kinda confused how to classify , especially when it has VHT thrown on top of it. LOL.

Thanks for your input guys.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #12143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. My P-Lot track is bumpy but its a level / linear type of bump with a good coating of tar or whatever black sealer they use. So its bumpy but its kinda a small bump.

Then it has normally VHT applied to it. What would you guys suggest?

Here is a couple of shots of the track that I got during the HPI challenge in orlando.

Let me know what you would classify this as. Grip wise & bump wise and however else you see it. Ive had trouble hypothesizing about it. Since it has so many factors. But its generally the same throughout. Im going to show a few pictures cause some make it look more bumpy than others. Some areas are bumpier than others a bit too. You can also enjoy a few concours photos at the same time.

As you can see its kinda almost smooth but it has bumps. But its not just some standard dusty lot it has that black sealer. So im kinda confused how to classify , especially when it has VHT thrown on top of it. LOL.

Thanks for your input guys.
If, the tracion is low, use a front diff.
If, the traction is high, use a spool. A one-way is good, also, but the spool allows the brakes to be used.
If, the layout is fast (no slow sections where you have to get off the throttle a lot or need brakes), use a one-way.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #12144
Tech Regular

Looks like a track where Sorex or RP tires will work well

As far as the the spool/oneway goes, it totally depends on the layout... if the track is open with long sweeping corners i would use a one way, if its tight and technical w/ long straights with hairpins at the end of them, use a spool and take advantage of using the brakes. Unless you are starting off and simply want an easy car to drive, use a front diff. But for sheer lap times its one way or spool only on asphalt.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:13 PM   #12145
Tech Apprentice

Default HPI Part Numbers

Hi

I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to HPI Cars, can anyone tell me the part numbers for a complete front ball diff and Front spool to suit a HPI Pro 4.

Cheers
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:23 AM   #12146
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapiya
i've been told the Pro4's drivetrain will be very noisy and whiny if the front metal input shaft is used with the Square alu. bevel gear ... any truth to that and if so any solutions to the problem??

thanx .
I doubt there will be alot noise since there is no 'real' metal-to-metal contact (IE. if you had metal bevel gear and metal diff gear.)
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 AM   #12147
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace
Hi

I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to HPI Cars, can anyone tell me the part numbers for a complete front ball diff and Front spool to suit a HPI Pro 4.

Cheers
Pro 4 Ball diffferential set 39 tooth: Part #75141
Pro 4 Front Solid Axle set (spool): Part #75168

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #12148

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Here is a video of the track I run at. The layout changes from race to race, but its generally this size and config.

http://hpiracing.com/movie/PICT1932k.mov
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #12149
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapiya

thanx .
I switched to the one-piece bevel gear input shaft in front...drivetrain is more noisier than before... it will be even more pronounce if you add the aluminum large bevel gear.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #12150
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Has anyone had any problems with their Pro4 with cronic understeer that you can't gt rid off? No matter what setup change I make, the car always understeers, Ive tried setup sfrom people who have their cars working really well, but I still get understeer. I don't know if its a problem with a part or something I have assembled incorrectly. Any help appreciatted.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote