Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xxxkat
The Pro4 has the smoothest drivetrain out of the box period,I would shim it per the manual,If it's making any type of noise I would look at the ring and pinion gears in the front oneway,I would bet you'll find a a few teeth missing on the ring gear.I own a few other shaft drive TC's and the only one that even comes close to the drivetrain of a Pro4 is the R3 Cuda and that was with alot of hop ups and alot of time.Look for other problems..like the gears or a bad bearing..
thanks for the info.I just got mine and have been building it these 2days little by little. I followed the manual for building the drivetrain section,but
after finished to build this section, the drivetrain wasn't smooth at all.and then I spent several hours to get smoother drivetrain , so far, the problem is still there, can't solve it.
the problem is like this.....

when I spin the main drive shaft by my finger (without motor),my finger feels like the gear teeth just like the gear mesh too tight. but actually there is a liitle amout of Play on the gear mesh between the bevel gear and the one way's gear.
anyone has had the same problem ???
Old 07-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

which shims am i suppose to use the softer coper ones or the silver ones for the one-way?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Aurra Sing
I use the HPI heavy duty cups, works great:

Where did you get the medium length ball cups? I've been looking for that one for some time now (A302). Tower Hobbies has those items still on back order.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hpiracing has its own store sometimes they have the hard to get stuff in stock but expect to pay out the ying yang twins.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hi-LowBrow
thanks for the info.I just got mine and have been building it these 2days little by little. I followed the manual for building the drivetrain section,but
after finished to build this section, the drivetrain wasn't smooth at all.and then I spent several hours to get smoother drivetrain , so far, the problem is still there, can't solve it.

when I spin the main drive shaft by my finger (without motor),my finger feels like the gear teeth just like the gear mesh too tight. but actually there is a liitle amout of Play on the gear mesh between the bevel gear and the one way's gear.
for me the instructions on shimming where way off. in the back i had to move all but 1 shim to one side and also change the overall number of shims.

so more than likely its a shimming problem i'd guess.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here are all four of my RC cars thus so far. I'm still waiting for the Cyclone to complete my collection!

From left to right, Xray T1FK'05, Tamiya TRF415MS, Yokomo MR-4TC BD and the HPI Pro 4 updated to Hara/2005 specs.

I'm not quite finished with all the cars so don't mind the messy wires. the Yoko is also missing an ESC. I haven't decided which one to get yet.
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-rccars.jpg  
Old 07-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

niiiiice collection...i like your marble counter too
Old 07-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by atomic80
Here are all four of my RC cars thus so far. I'm still waiting for the Cyclone to complete my collection!

From left to right, Xray T1FK'05, Tamiya TRF415MS, Yokomo MR-4TC BD and the HPI Pro 4 updated to Hara/2005 specs.

I'm not quite finished with all the cars so don't mind the messy wires. the Yoko is also missing an ESC. I haven't decided which one to get yet.
Wow, I'm getting jealous! Do you also run them or not?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

it must be nice on race days saying "hmmm...which car should i race today?"
Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by atomic80
Where did you get the medium length ball cups? I've been looking for that one for some time now (A302). Tower Hobbies has those items still on back order.
I'm actually using the extra long ones for the camber links.. small ones for everything else.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aurra Sing
I'm actually using the extra long ones for the camber links.. small ones for everything else.
hey marc where'd you get these?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

But here is the new HARA edition blank setup sheet:
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/se...-187-1%20p.pdf

And here is the interactive version:
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/se...20SU-187-1.pdf

Enjoy.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yup, I definitely run them...The Xray is for carpet, the Pro 4 is for asphalt. The Tamiya is on asphalt although I haven't run it yet. The Yokomo, I just finished so I haven't decided whether to set it up for carpet or asphalt yet. Of the four, I'd say that the Tamiya is definitely the fastest and the Xray the easiest to handle. The Pro 4 is somewhere in the middle. Don't know about the Yokomo yet.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Finally my young padawan! You have felt the force of the purple side! Welcome!!! Still have both of mine but haven't had much chance to race for the past month. And it's not looking good either for the rest of the summer.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

I guess since no one is answering your question. Even though im not an expert. Ive dealt with electrics and gear mesh quite a few times. You want to make sure it spins free but isnt too loose. If you can set it a little further apart and see how it goes.

If it frees it up a lot thats probably the best point for yah. I try to make it as close as possible with it still being as free as possible.

Also with any new car things will be a little tight. You might just try not worrying about it run it once or twice and then recheck. Also listen for any sort of unpleasant sounds of course. You want it to be pretty quiet, if you can listen to other pro4 cars and possibly check those out so you know if your within range.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.