Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im not saying thats definatly the reason, it was a whisper i heard from a friend whos friends with team drivers. Its hardly sumthing that would be very public but would explain the reason for new arms, wishbone flex is never going to be desirable thing and especially without real high bite situations are you going to get much flex anyway. I cannot say definatly the reason for these arms and which is why i was trying to bounce ideas off people. What are other peoples opinions of WHY they decided to make these arms and market them as high grip arms!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Mal

I'm pretty sure they are extact what they are lable to be. More flex to increase traction. There are a few cars on the market that have tunning arms with flex ratings on them. One example would be the corally with it's option arms with flex ratings on them.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: High Traction Arms

Originally posted by Nexus

Once we can get them here in the U.S. I'll probably buy some...pricewise it's a pretty good deal because you get all four arms for only about $3-4 more dollars.

They are available now from RcModel in HK... $10.00 a set... and shipping is the same if you were to order from Tower or others...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a hard time believing that the asphalt track hads so much grip the arms broke. Paul Lemieux ran the Pro 4 at the Novak race in Foam Mod and the arms stayed together. This is with Jim Dieter putting satchels of horsepower into his car every run...
Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Robz
Im not saying thats definatly the reason, it was a whisper i heard from a friend whos friends with team drivers. Its hardly sumthing that would be very public but would explain the reason for new arms, wishbone flex is never going to be desirable thing and especially without real high bite situations are you going to get much flex anyway. I cannot say definatly the reason for these arms and which is why i was trying to bounce ideas off people. What are other peoples opinions of WHY they decided to make these arms and market them as high grip arms!
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

None of the official HPI drivers broke any arms at the worlds. Who is your friends friend? The soft arms are more durable but you sacrifice precision. If you are constantly crashing and braking your arms then switch to the plastic arms.

For a super loose track they do help slightly in providing traction the same as a 2mm chassis works better for loser track conditions. try it yourself, compare times and then comment.

Last edited by Thad Garner; 02-10-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Thad.

Any idea when these softer arms will be available in the U.S?

I don't see them listed on any of the major online distributor sites at this time.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Let me say one thing from a few years of testing/racing I have done. Having flexible arms/chassis etc is NOT the bad thing that many people try to tell you it is. People are always trying to stiffen their cars up etc etc to make them "handle better" because "1:1 race cars have ultra stiff chassis". We are not sitting in these cars like you are in a 1:1 car. You can feel a real car begin to slip well before it actually starts to but with an RC car we have to rely on the visuals to tell it is starting to get out of shape. I can tell you that having an easy to drive forgiving RC setup will always be a better way to set up a car as long as you dont go too far into making it lazy. I have stiffened my car plenty of times only to find it twitchy and hard to drive.

I installed the flex arms onto my Pro 4 and I run on rubber tires on asphalt. Defiantely made the car more forgiving, but also the car reacts a little more lazily. If you are chasing grip I can recommend them.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Thad Garner
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

None of the official HPI drivers broke any arms at the worlds. Who is your friends friend? The soft arms are more durable but you sacrifice precision. If you are constantly crashing and braking your arms then switch to the plastic arms.

For a super loose track they do help slightly in providing traction the same as a 2mm chassis works better for loser track conditions. try it yourself, compare times and then comment.
Damn good advice.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Let me say one thing from a few years of testing/racing I have done. Having flexible arms/chassis etc is NOT the bad thing that many people try to tell you it is. People are always trying to stiffen their cars up etc etc to make them "handle better" because "1:1 race cars have ultra stiff chassis". We are not sitting in these cars like you are in a 1:1 car. You can feel a real car begin to slip well before it actually starts to but with an RC car we have to rely on the visuals to tell it is starting to get out of shape. I can tell you that having an easy to drive forgiving RC setup will always be a better way to set up a car as long as you dont go too far into making it lazy. I have stiffened my car plenty of times only to find it twitchy and hard to drive.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Nexus,
Not sure...I don't know when the US will Begin distribution of the arms..Sorry.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Thad Garner

Look I found a picture of Ed Rooney calling up Hong Kong and ordering some high traction arms for the Pro4!!
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-rooney4.jpg  
Old 02-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Question, ima bout to get a Pro4 soon... i was wondering what pinion size you all use for stock? say im using Monster Pro and P2K2 Pro... i currently bought 30, 31, and 32t pinions...

thanks

ted
Old 02-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally posted by TRF Drive Hard
Question, ima bout to get a Pro4 soon... i was wondering what pinion size you all use for stock? say im using Monster Pro and P2K2 Pro... i currently bought 30, 31, and 32t pinions...

thanks

ted
It will mostly depend on your track...but if you only have those 3...start with the 30 to be safe.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by TRF Drive Hard

thanks

ted
It totally depends on your track. We have 2 tracks at the place I race. On the indoor carpet track (~80x30) I run a 26-28 pinion. Outside on the big asphault track (~200x50) I run a 36-38 pinion, all with the stock 98 spur.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

So does the track size determine what size pinion should be used along with type of motor? From what im trying to understand, it seem on a larger track, you can go large on the pinion size... but say if i use a 38t pinion on a short track, i can burn out my motor ya?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anyone know if Tower Hobbies are shipping version 1.1 kits of the Pro4 yet? They don't seem to want to reply to my emails... Alternatively, what's the cheapest place to buy me a pro4 kit with the 1.1 bevel gears and oneway brace? Tower has them for US$290.

Thanks.

-Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.