R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #9961
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydo
I just don't see how they would have that much play in them? Unless you got a bad batch of bulkheads? Was the play the same with the last set you said you damaged?
I looked at the book. You should have the three small shims (Z852) and then three larger ones (Z877). The larger ones are the ones that need to be on the spur side of the carrier when installed.
I can't think of anything else? I'll take a look at my car tonight and see if I notice anyhting else.
As far as getting the e-clip out, you have to dismantle the input shaft. Which sucks because getting that last hinge pin in SUCKS!!!
You have to jackhammer the thing in!!!
Anyhow, Looking at the picture I can't see what else your missing to have that much play??
hm.. that's why really puzzle me as well. I'm sure i got the three large shims at the right place and i "think" i got the three small ones as well but i can't double check this unless i remove that large e-clip out.

i'll try to take some pic of my input shaft tonight and maybe you can help me solve my puzzle?

Thanks a lot!
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 PM   #9962
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow15
hm.. that's why really puzzle me as well. I'm sure i got the three large shims at the right place and i "think" i got the three small ones as well but i can't double check this unless i remove that large e-clip out.

i'll try to take some pic of my input shaft tonight and maybe you can help me solve my puzzle?

Thanks a lot!
Yeah, sounds good. The clip is easy to get out, just use a pair of pliers and carefully place one end on the shaft and the other on the open ends of the e clips. (You have to hold the pliers at an angle)
Apply light pressure and the clip should pop off. Be careful not to scratch the shaft.
Anyways get some pics up and I will also check my car tonight.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:52 AM   #9963
Tech Apprentice

Default Hara's bodyshells

Hiya was just wondering if anybody knew what bodyshell hara runs, i know hes sponsored by hotbodies but cant see that type of shell he uses on there site, its a honda accord isnt it ?? where can i get one do you think ??
chr15tophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:06 AM   #9964
Tech Master

mate the photos ive seen hara uses a mazda 6, maybe protoform, cause hpi doesnt do a mazda 6 yet......
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:13 AM   #9965
Tech Master

how many times have you broken the bevel gears in your pro4s??? i have stripped about 6 sets two fronts and 4 rears, the shims where as the book but then i shimmed them a little tighter, i havent broken any rears since but one front......
how bout you
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #9966
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Hara's bodyshells

Quote:
Originally posted by chr15tophe
Hiya was just wondering if anybody knew what bodyshell hara runs, i know hes sponsored by hotbodies but cant see that type of shell he uses on there site, its a honda accord isnt it ?? where can i get one do you think ??
It's a Ride Accord. Get them from Rainbow 10. I used one on the weekend and it's pretty hot.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #9967
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Downforce
E-

What's the difference between the two diff lubes that come with the Pro4?
Black one for the thrust bearing in the diff and the clear one for the balls on the ring gear in the diff.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:23 AM   #9968
Tech Adept

The stock shimming isn't good at all, you need to shim it correctly
yourself. Better too tight than too loose. They'll break in after a while.
I've stripped two sets since last march, not bad at all, considering our track layout........
The driveshaft cups seem to be a bigger problem for me, as i have broken five of theese the last two months. Aluminium ones are on their way.
Erlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 AM   #9969
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If you do the correct shimming, and not by the book, your drivetrain will be free and you should almost never strip the gears. I have yet to strip a gear and all I run is mod with 9-10 turns. Even tried a spool but still never stripped anything.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 AM   #9970
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy1
If you do the correct shimming, and not by the book, your drivetrain will be free and you should almost never strip the gears. I have yet to strip a gear and all I run is mod with 9-10 turns. Even tried a spool but still never stripped anything.
agreed
manual's only for a guide...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #9971
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Coxy
Black one for the thrust bearing in the diff and the clear one for the balls on the ring gear in the diff.

Coxy.
I know. I just wanted to know why 2 different and the make up of the 2?
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 AM   #9972
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Downforce
I know. I just wanted to know why 2 different and the make up of the 2?
the clear is the traditional silicone type grease. the grey is of graphite type for high speed applications.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #9973
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydo
Yeah, sounds good. The clip is easy to get out, just use a pair of pliers and carefully place one end on the shaft and the other on the open ends of the e clips. (You have to hold the pliers at an angle)
Apply light pressure and the clip should pop off. Be careful not to scratch the shaft.
Anyways get some pics up and I will also check my car tonight.

okie completely dismantle the rear input shaft and noticed that i forgot to put the 3 small shims
so give everything a good clean and put it back together and now the play is much better now... i can probably still put 1 shim if i want but it will then be too tight so i'll stay with the suggested 3 (large) shim setting.

btw, my pinion gear isn't touching the whole spur gear.. i just can't put the spur gear close enough to the front and approx 1/5 of the spur gear/pinion gear wasn't overlapping
anyone got the same problem? i didnt' have this problem when i was using my novak brushless but now i 'm running a monster stock and got this problem.
i'm thinking of putting a washer between the motor and the motor mount and not sure if it's a good idea.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #9974
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

I have to install my pinions on reversed when using stock motors. I.e with the grub screw towards the rear of the car.By doing this i can can a full face to face mesh ........hope this helps

Glad you found the problem with the gearbox
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #9975
Tech Regular

oh that's a good idea! how come i didn't think of that before?