Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Old 01-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

ok i found the reason!
it was the tyres. His tyres got a larger diameter than mine so i tried some new tyres which is the same size as his and we are dead even now

so.. anyone got a setup for outdoor track with foam tyres?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by yellow15
Ok finally found the TC3 T nuts and bolt and looks like it fixed my problem!
Nice at you solve that problem, dude
Old 01-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I thought that Hara was supposed to be at the birds. I was just browsing the entry list and didn't see any HPI drivers except for Andy. I wonder if they are able to get their entries in on time.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for the reply guys.(sry for the repeat posts) but NOBODY has replied about indoor carpet. i "wanna" run indoor carpet with plaid fronts/purple rears. i've played with this car for over a month. i'm having a hard time getting this thing to work. people say andy moore's set-up is good but i disagree. i'm on a tight track that allows NO traction compound. surely somebody can help.........i'm about to trade this thing out.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by nomaak
thanks for the reply guys.(sry for the repeat posts) but NOBODY has replied about indoor carpet. i "wanna" run indoor carpet with plaid fronts/purple rears. i've played with this car for over a month. i'm having a hard time getting this thing to work. people say andy moore's set-up is good but i disagree. i'm on a tight track that allows NO traction compound. surely somebody can help.........i'm about to trade this thing out.
Sorry you didn't get any replies. Andy Moore's setup is for high bite. You probably right and would have a hard time with it on low bite.
I would go more for a setup like they use for rubber tires on carpet. A little softer and more droop. I've yet to see situation where the Pro 4 didn't work. Try something along these lines and let us how it works, or excatly what the car is doing that you don't like (i.e., loose into the corner, push out of the corner, etc):

http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/se...re_DHI2005.pdf
http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/se...witzCarpet.pdf
Old 01-25-2005, 04:37 PM
jt6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Pete - have you tried the Ezrow setup someone posted a few pages back? I followed it exactly except the front Springs...I ran Associated yellows.
Seems way more planted at the Wood than the Moore setup was.....I was running 10.9 - 11 flats and on the TQ pace in the 3rd round until I broke after hitting Chris J. when he spun in front of me.....
Oh yeah.....put a diff in the front!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

jt6...thanks bro! no i don't have that set-up. do you mind postin or pm'ing it?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:07 PM
jt6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here ya go -
I also used Associated Copper rear springs....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
eli.pdf (163.1 KB, 426 views)
Old 01-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

if you do a search on the Pro4 thread you can look back to see Kevin Kanes setup that he posted...one of his original ones works well at regular club med to med/high traction carpet tracks.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Proteus
I thought that Hara was supposed to be at the birds. I was just browsing the entry list and didn't see any HPI drivers except for Andy. I wonder if they are able to get their entries in on time.
ben cosgrove going to be there too he goes with andy there good friends i met him in clevland very friendly guy him and andy they no shame in there game whn it come to help on the pro4
Old 01-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

pete mr nomak u need to be patience with the car ok u said u had the same problem wth the tc3 it hard for u to set it up and now u sayng u want to get rid of the pro4 what do u want to drive my friend a hot wheel car or a big dub rc car from walmart
Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Hi,

I bought a version 1.1 pro4 kit a while ago from Hong Kong and it seems to have a dud rear differential.
I built the diff exactly how the manual says except i used ceramic balls. When i was finished I rotated the two outdrives in opposite directions and it wasn't smoothe like you would expect. It had a high spot where the action would be tight then you would pass it and it would be loose. Basically it had inconsistent action. At that time I just ran it hoping that it would get better but it didn't.

The ceramic bearings eventually wore out and the diff clicked so i changed to the standard diff balls. There was no more clicking but the action still had hard spots every revolution. This is not the drivetrain action binding but occurs when the diff is out and you just turn the outdrives.

The car has been handling badly for a while and i think the diff may have some part to play in this.
I got annoyed at the car and decided to rebuild it. This time i tried many things to try to fix the diff.
At first i thought it was the spring and screw so i changed them to tamiya ones but he action was the same. Then i changed the gear itself, but again it was the same. Then i thought it may be dodgey outdrives. So i bought some more carbon one and a delrin set.
I was wrong, even with the delrin outdrives the diff still had the same problem. I changed every other part of the diff such as the bearings and nut etc. The last thing to change was the diff plates.
I put in new plates but yet again the problem was not solved. I was talking with my dad and he looked at the plates to find that they were warped, on a flat table they could be rocked. This must be the problem. I checked my other 3 spare plates and found that they were warped also and as expected they all made the diff bad.

Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution? At this point i will have to buy a whole new diff and hope it works.

The other problem i had was the diff coming loose all the time, i read about it on this forum but have only tried to replace the nut without much luck. Something interesting i found was that my rear right universal was very warn on the end of the T section where the diff outdrive is. This is an unusual place for wear and none of the other universals had even a scratch near that area (the very end). My therory is that the universal was rubbing against the diff screw and undoing it (its the right direction). What i have just done is cut the end off the crew enough so that it still sticks out of the nut but hardly as far. Im hoping this will fix the problem, i will find out friday.
Can someone else please check their universal to see if they have the same problem, as this may be the reason for the undoing of the diff.

I also found another problem lol, when i put a HPI spool diff into the front the wheels vibrated badly when at full steering lock. On the track it made the car spin out all the time and very hard to drive. I put lots of grease like the manual says but still have the problem, my friends also does the same thing. But my other friends with the Titanium racing spool didn't. Could this be the delrin outdrives fixing the binding problem?

sorry for the long post but thanks for your time.

Gerard
Old 01-26-2005, 03:36 AM
Tech Addict

regg...i really don't see where you have room to crack..you didn't race your car for MONTHS!!! "naw...it's not ready yet....naw, it's not ready yet.." yo....gimme some slack! at least i raced mine as soon as it was built. can't say it's too bad tho. 2 tq's and a track record. not bad for a car outta tha box.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well guys just got back from the summer nats here in aust. any way surikarn and muria(the pro 4 designer not sure of spelling) were out here having a play. surikarn won, but only casue he had the best cells! no he is prity damn good, but i learnt a couple things about the car like the shims of the diff anyway those hpi/HB guys are top fellas
Old 01-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution? At this point i will have to buy a whole new diff and hope it works.
414m2...your problem sounds unique...i have 3 diffs and spare diff rings and have never noticed that problem.

hope something works out for you.

do yourself a favor and build the diffs up with a AE TC3 screw and t-nut...then just a dab of locktight on the end of the screw before you tighten it up....works awesome.

=====================

tony2.

any pics or links to images of that race with surikarn?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.