Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

for anyone wanting to go derlin for the rear diff. the tamiya evo3 surikarn vrs outdrives fit. you will need the larger diff rings also though. the diffs are also a bit longer so check for contactwhen shocks are fully compressed. you might need to cut them down a little.

for anyone with prp front alloy plates i think it is safe to say you can leave the front with the plate and old gears, only the back would need changing to the 1.1's..personally i have had no front gear stripping issues and i run a 6 turn hacker brushless.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by jrrc
Somebody was asking about a spool for the Pro4. Get the Losi spool pads for the xxx-s and follow the instructions. The pads are just sandpaper cut to the size of the diff rings and you leave out the diff balls.

I ran the one-way and the spool at the Nats. Lap times were about the same, but much easier to drive with the spool. Also had brakes to make passing easier.

My car was one of the fastest in the stock class. With the spool I could run less rear toe in (1 degree) for more speed on the straight. Also the tires didn't overheat as the spool makes the car go around the corners with very little sliding.
Thanks JRRC ... do you have the part number?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Help me! My car's handling like crap!!!

Originally posted by S15Racer
Ok so i went to the track yesterday to race 19 turn rubber out on our big asphault track. I set the car up with pretty much the box stock setup save for a couple of things: AE blue springs all the way around, rear shocks innermost hole on tower, front camber set to -1 just about (why does the stock setup have positive camber???) CS32 tires, geared 98/36. The first time I took it out for practice, it wouldnt hook up at all, I did maybe one or two turns with it before I decided something was very wrong. So I switched from the 32's to a set of 23's- thats how bad it was. This didnt help of anything, it plowed right through the entrance of each corner and as soon as I picked up the throttle, the rear end swung around. By this point Im getting very pissed, and breaking an a arm before any racing had even started didnt help much. So after I got the arm replaced... (thank you to Tim, I think it was Tim, for selling me the spare arm) ...I raised the rear shocks back up to the stock setting and swapped in the stock gold and silver springs and sauced the rear tires. Heat 1: the car was better, but lets just say I was still mad. It still pushed, not surprising for the amount of traction compound I put on those rears. But it also STILL SPUN OUT, almost as if the compound had never been there. I couldnt think of what else to do until the 3rd heat when I took off both the sway bars, this helped quite a bit but I still couldnt keep up with the other guys. By the main I was back to the 32s with compound on all 4 corners. This was the best handling set up I found all day, and it was still crap. Now it did this weird snapping type thing were it would turn in hard, off throttle, making the rear tires break loose, but then when I'd get on the gas the rears would catch and it would just push badly, but it wasnt a gradual or linear type thing like you'd expect, the whole car would just completely snap offline and wiggle for a moment before composing itself again (sort of)

can somebody help me here, I love this car, but man was it aggravating to drive yesterday

That would be Jim and you are welcome....

Don't get too discouraged I thought the track was a little slick this last Sunday. I felt as though I had to tip toe around the track. You know roll out of the throttle and easy back on the gass. You should have been there the week before, it was much worse...

Anyway, I found a good asphault setup on HPI's site. It is Thad Garners asphault setup http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/pr...hadGarner.pdf. Seems to work pretty good. I havn't done much tweeking on it, I have been spending most of my time fighting a glitching problem.

I'll be there Sunday, You can look at how I have my car setup.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can someone please post Thad's or Hara's set-up as a jpg?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm not sure that Thad was racing, I didn't see his name in the full results. I would think he was but I don't know for sure.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like Hara is running carbon fibre camber link mounts, but just carbon fibre which fits over the stock mounts. He's also running purple spring perches

Also, does anyone know what those purple bits are on his steering knuckles?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

SKill

The CF Camber mounts are already available from Excel distributed by Powers International... Apex should be able to get them...

the Purple washer on the knuckles are used to accurately limit steering travel.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Somebody was asking about a spool for the Pro4. Get the Losi spool pads for the xxx-s and follow the instructions. The pads are just sandpaper cut to the size of the diff rings and you leave out the diff balls.

I ran the one-way and the spool at the Nats. Lap times were about the same, but much easier to drive with the spool. Also had brakes to make passing easier.

My car was one of the fastest in the stock class. With the spool I could run less rear toe in (1 degree) for more speed on the straight. Also the tires didn't overheat as the spool makes the car go around the corners with very little sliding.
Do you leave in the diff rings? Also, which instructions are you referring to... Hpi's or Losi's?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by rc-zombies
SKill

The CF Camber mounts are already available from Excel distributed by Powers International... Apex should be able to get them...

the Purple washer on the knuckles are used to accurately limit steering travel.
Thanks, I might get some of those
Old 07-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Tech Initiate

does anyone know the part number for the rpm rod ends that hara uses

chris
Old 07-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by pro4_chris
does anyone know the part number for the rpm rod ends that hara uses

chris
those are just the standard RPM ball cups... your LHS should be able to get them...
Old 07-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Atsushi Hara drives the HPI Pro 4 to its first U.S. Nationals win!

http://www.hpieurope.com/news.php?la...sue=2004072001

Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

The instruction come with the losi spool pad kit. Sorry, I don't have the part number.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The instruction come with the losi spool pad kit. Sorry, I don't have the part number.
Thanks, maybe someone else might have it, here.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Losi spool pads are a-3250.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.