Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

Thanks for information.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:00 PM   #4577
Tech Regular

What type of tape do you guys use?

Im about to make an order for some parts. I try to get everything in one go cos I live in AUstralia and shipping isnt cheap and neither is the US dollar so I was wondering if you guys had some ideas for some essential parts I should purchase.

Cheers,

Mossie
Mossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:12 PM   #4578
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6
AWOL - I cut the wrong ear off ( got distracted while building it ). I just used a Losi xxx-s servo mount for the top screw hole on the other side of the chassis, and then cut the CORRECT ear off, and used the HPI mount on that side.

You have to cut the little nub off the bottom of the Losi mount.
Not gonna work bro, I only have two upper ears left.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #4579
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Mossie
What type of tape do you guys use?

Im about to make an order for some parts. I try to get everything in one go cos I live in AUstralia and shipping isnt cheap and neither is the US dollar so I was wondering if you guys had some ideas for some essential parts I should purchase.

Cheers,

Mossie
I use the Xenon tape that I got from steve @ speedtech.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:35 PM   #4580
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Quick test notes/carpet-foam

Hey all,

i got three packs in the Pro4 tonight and tried a bunch of things-basically running a few minutes-change and back out. I was out to lunch on first pack and didnt much care for the way car steered w/ steering in #2 position. But instead of going back to #1 I tried a few other thngs because other issues like on-power push was quite pronounced. Went to 6 degrees caster from 4 and that helped corner exit rotation.

I also felt grip was a bit low with Jaco Purple Orange and purple rear tires at 2.19"!! I put on a set-of 2.24" dbl pink/orange. More steerng everywhere-actuall too much mid-corner now. Car was rolling it looked like and cutting too hard.

I took the front camber link and lengthened it and that smoothed it a ot more-but car still felt a tad too aggressive in middle off so I think some front antidive is in order.

That was that-ran outof time. But I am still learning a lot.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #4581
Tech Elite

Default Re: Quick test notes/carpet-foam

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
Hey all,

i got three packs in the Pro4 tonight and tried a bunch of things-basically running a few minutes-change and back out. I was out to lunch on first pack and didnt much care for the way car steered w/ steering in #2 position. But instead of going back to #1 I tried a few other thngs because other issues like on-power push was quite pronounced. Went to 6 degrees caster from 4 and that helped corner exit rotation.

I also felt grip was a bit low with Jaco Purple Orange and purple rear tires at 2.19"!! I put on a set-of 2.24" dbl pink/orange. More steerng everywhere-actuall too much mid-corner now. Car was rolling it looked like and cutting too hard.

I took the front camber link and lengthened it and that smoothed it a ot more-but car still felt a tad too aggressive in middle off so I think some front antidive is in order.

That was that-ran outof time. But I am still learning a lot.
Sounds like you had a good time Ray. What's your suggestion for must haves for this car? I'm about to order a few parts and want to get everything at once.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #4582
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

AwOL-

Front arms, steering knuckles, Caster blocks (2 and 4 if you run outdoors and 4, 6 if you run on carpet and all of the hingepin blocks (0, 1, 1.5 and 2.0 degrees). Oh-ofc ourse a couple of crown gears in tranny and a bag of ballstuds.

Modify a BRP TC3 bumper to work if Rob didnt do it for you already.

I'll try and think of more things later,
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #4583
Tech Elite

Default Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
My question is, how do prevent the batteries from falling out when taking a big hit?
I am using the battery strap as of now. Should I use tape?
I was going to try putting a screw or something on the side of the chassis where there are holes, so they stay in. Is that a good idea?

Thanks, Jon
There is an Error in the instruction manual showing a spacer (73512) under the battery strap screw post (Z305) for both Stick and Side x Side packs.
Omit the spacer (73512) and tighten the screw post all the way down when using Side x Side packs. You should not have any more problems with the packs falling out.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #4584
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Cantech/canadian technical tape co. makes a pretty good glass/filament tape that i got from walmart for CAN1.50

same width, but donno how it compares to 3M or colored ones from hobby mfc.s but should do the work
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #4585
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6
First thing, make sure you have your slots filed down so it holds the cells side-to-side.

Then, if you still think you need more support, this is what I did.

The "stick pack" braces will not fit, so I took some old ball cups, chopped it so it was as tall as the battery brace ( chop the ball off ) - then cut it down the center where the turnbucle goes in. Grab an extra screw, and use the countersunk holes in the chassis.

see picture if my explaination left you totally confuesed

this is what i did. i bought the after market hpi alloy servo mounts so i used a peice of carbonfibre and a unused servo mount.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:24 AM   #4586
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

i noticed your using the carbon fibre shaft to
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:56 AM   #4587
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by raving-monkey
i noticed your using the carbon fibre shaft to
yep so far so good. it holds up to my 6T hacker very well. not twisted yet.
more pics at www.rcunderground.net under the "sample articles" banner
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:14 AM   #4588
Tech Addict

Seems like the Delrin diff outdrives have been in testing for quite a while, this is a pic from the Japanese Nationals:

Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:34 AM   #4589
Tech Fanatic

I think I mentioned this before about the batteries coming out:

1. Make sure the slots are filed down. I mean really filed down! If your cells aren't over 0.5mm to 1mm above the bottom of the chassis, they are sitting too high. A large flat file on a chassis plate (with nothing attached) is the best way.

2. Make sure you aren't using some knackered old packs. I've seen sponsored drivers using old practice packs that have been twisted back and forth and are all bent out of shape, so I know plenty of normal drivers are doing this too. If you don't use the battery boxes and just toss the packs into your pit box, you're probably twisting the packs more than you think. Make sure the battery sits flat or very close to flat (check this by putting the pack on a cutting board or tweak board or kitchen counter or something and see how twisted up the pack is). Use a good soldering jig (like a Dean's jig) and some new battery bars if you're building up new packs for your car.

3. Make sure the battery brace is tightened down properly. If it's too loose the cells will come out anyway, no matter what you do. Put the foam on the bottom of the brace and tighten down the bolts so the body clips hold the pack tightly in the chassis. I don't use a battery brace, just tape and after a couple of tries I haven't had any problem with the batteries coming out since the first day.

Does anyone have a Pro 4 site yet with a collection of these tips? That way the guys on the forum can direct new owners to a single site with a bunch of tips, instead of repeating themselves.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #4590
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Frank: good idea....

FYI: David Joor owns HPIPRO4.com
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote