Old 04-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Anyone running the HPI Stratus Aero?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I've been testing the HPI Stratus Aero with good success for a few weeks now. Its a lot more stable than the Protoform Stratus 2.0, but has a bit more speed than the Alfas (both losi and Protoform). The alfa has more steering at low speeds, but the Aero carriers more speed down the straight and seems to have more stability at high speeds.

All in all, give it a try, its a fast body...
Old 04-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

i haven't tried the aero 2 on the pro4 yet, currently using the proto mazda.

i might give the aero a try next...btw the dimples are in the right spot so theres a bonus
Old 04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

... my bad, carry on
Old 04-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

wtf?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

I was using the post reply screen to make a sig and I accidentally clicked post instead of preview
Old 04-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Unhappy Bad weekend...

I'm seriously thinking about "offing" this thing.

First off...I don't really have any issue with the way it's designed or the way it handles. I just don't think it works for me...at least not at this time.

I'm a novice racer. I hit things. Stuff breaks. There's a really good reason I would never own a Barracuda or some other exotic...you can't get parts where you live. I'm starting to feel the same way about this thing. I live near a bunch of pretty decent hobby shops...Ultimate, Hobbytown Corona, 3 or 4 Hobby People stores, SoCal....Speedtech is a bit out of the way, but not too far...Steve's about the only place that has parts...

One of the biggest reasons I stuck with HPI (I have a Sport 2, Pro 3 and an EMT) is that they have decent cars, fair prices and you can get parts EVERYWHERE. Aside from the
"bevel gear breaking thing" (really lame) -- and the "shock thing" (cut two of the shock bodies down a little) -- I suppose it holds up pretty well...

I smack the board (not too hard) yesterday...the LR upper ballcup pops off (no biggie...)...just where am I gonna get the diff rings? Special order? (who knows how long...)...I smack the pipes and break a C-hub...10 BUCKS FOR TWO!?!? Oh yeah...two for ten bucks if you can mail order them from somewhere. Busted another bevel gear yesterday (my only spare) and had to run the car sounding like a coffee grinder all day...looping out every other turn. I've been trying to find spare bevel gears for weeks...scored one set at Hobby People a couple weeks ago.

It's B.S....if you made the car, you can make parts. If Ultimate doesn't have parts...something is wrong. Those guys have just about every part for everything...they have stuff they don't even know they have.

Anyways...I just want to do this for fun. I could care less if I ever get out of Novice...I have no desire to do anything beside go out every once in a while when I can get away from the "big" racecar (see avatar) and try and finish a race or two...maybe (heaven forbid) win a race once. I can't do that if I have to race a 2WD car because I blew (another) bevel gear...or make it a full-time occupation to scour the 'net looking for parts.

I've sick of the drama with this car...maybe acquiring parts is a sport for some of you, but I just wanna go out with it and have a good time (trying to) race.

I really like HPI...and feel like I'm a loyal customer. It makes me shudder just thinking about running a Tc3...but at least I could get parts for it when it breaks.

For now, it's stripped, back in the box, broken and it's going out in the garage to "sleep" with my e-Rustler. Maybe I'll take it out of the attic in a year or so when (and if) they start making spares for it.

The weekend wasn't all bad...I had a blast running my Mini Cooper.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 04-26-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Struggled

Originally posted by rayhuang
It seems my hometrack poses uniqie handling to other tracks around as my car and a couple of other peoples Pro4's have been fast eveywhere but at the Gate.

I second that!!! I think it's a Cleveland thing!
Old 04-26-2004, 03:48 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Re: Bad weekend...

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
I'm seriously thinking about "offing" this thing.

First off...I don't really have any issue with the way it's designed or the way it handles. I just don't think it works for me...at least not at this time.

I'm a novice racer. I hit things. Stuff breaks. There's a really good reason I would never own a Barracuda or some other exotic...you can't get parts where you live. I'm starting to feel the same way about this thing. I live near a bunch of pretty decent hobby shops...Ultimate, Hobbytown Corona, 3 or 4 Hobby People stores, SoCal....Speedtech is a bit out of the way, but not too far...Steve's about the only place that has parts...

One of the biggest reasons I stuck with HPI (I have a Sport 2, Pro 3 and an EMT) is that they have decent cars, fair prices and you can get parts EVERYWHERE. Aside from the
"bevel gear breaking thing" (really lame) -- and the "shock thing" (cut two of the shock bodies down a little) -- I suppose it holds up pretty well...

I smack the board (not too hard) yesterday...the LR upper ballcup pops off (no biggie...)...just where am I gonna get the diff rings? Special order? (who knows how long...)...I smack the pipes and break a C-hub...10 BUCKS FOR TWO!?!? Oh yeah...two for ten bucks if you can mail order them from somewhere. Busted another bevel gear yesterday (my only spare) and had to run the car sounding like a coffee grinder all day...looping out every other turn. I've been trying to find spare bevel gears for weeks...scored one set at Hobby People a couple weeks ago.

It's B.S....if you made the car, you can make parts. If Ultimate doesn't have parts...something is wrong. Those guys have just about every part for everything...they have stuff they don't even know they have.

Anyways...I just want to do this for fun. I could care less if I ever get out of Novice...I have no desire to do anything beside go out every once in a while when I can get away from the "big" racecar (see avatar) and try and finish a race or two...maybe (heaven forbid) win a race once. I can't do that if I have to race a 2WD car because I blew (another) bevel gear...or make it a full-time occupation to scour the 'net looking for parts.

I've sick of the drama with this car...maybe acquiring parts is a sport for some of you, but I just wanna go out with it and have a good time (trying to) race.

I really like HPI...and feel like I'm a loyal customer. It makes me shudder just thinking about running a Tc3...but at least I could get parts for it when it breaks.

For now, it's stripped, back in the box, broken and it's going out in the garage to "sleep" with my e-Rustler. Maybe I'll take it out of the attic in a year or so when (and if) they start making spares for it.

The weekend wasn't all bad...I had a blast running my Mini Cooper.
I'm not a novice but feel your pain in the part department. My car is broke and no parts around to be had. My shop has them on order but most are on backorder. The car is dialed and I made a mistake and hit the wall and broke. My fault but it would be nice to be able to at least order parts and they are in stock. Very disappointed in this aspect of the car so far.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Turbo Joe & wyd

I feel your pain... just remember these are just toys..cars do break...and no car is completely bullet proof. The Pro4 is just a few months old...you'll have to give HPI time to get suffient supply of parts to all the HS...they don't just supply parts to the US alone... they have to take care of the rest of the world. Once parts are readily available...you won't have problems getting them...

By far..the Pro4 is the best that HPI has ever designed.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Bad weekend...

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
I'm seriously If Ultimate doesn't have parts...something is wrong. Those guys have just about every part for everything...they have stuff they don't even know they have.

I feel your pain, but don't give ultimate too much credit. I love that place too but latley they been slackin off big time. hell they didn't even have diff covers for my tc3 last time I was there... and that is SAD!
Old 04-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys....I know there is a buy/ sell forum but I thought you may not see it there. I have the stock chassis and top deck that has never been run. I purchased the car built, unused....I will be doing one more bead of glue on the chassis....I did not like the way it was done buy the original owner. 35.00 shipped anywhere in the cont. USA. I also have a one-way that was built and never used......30.00 shipped anywhere in the cont. USA.

Later

Eric
Old 04-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Parts

The part issue is a joke....there is no reason why this should happen. Xray parts were a pain but the only thing that ever broke was a chub and a knuckle....and I always had them. The HPI cost is boarderline sexual assult. 10.00 for 2 chubs!!!! Xray which everyone claims is expensive is 3.50 a piece.....the fact that you have to buy a front and rear arm together is also a pain!!!! One positive is that my car ran slow enough this weekend that breaking a part was virtually impossible I think the car has great potential but I am not enjoying the part cost or availability. Just my .02
Old 04-26-2004, 04:14 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by rc-zombies
Turbo Joe & wyd

I feel your pain... just remember these are just toys..cars do break...and no car is completely bullet proof. The Pro4 is just a few months old...you'll have to give HPI time to get suffient supply of parts to all the HS...they don't just supply parts to the US alone... they have to take care of the rest of the world. Once parts are readily available...you won't have problems getting them...

By far..the Pro4 is the best that HPI has ever designed.
I know they break. It was my fault and I expected it to break hitting a pvc coupling pipe that sticks out 3/16 of an inch. I would hope that they would have the distrubtors with more parts. All the companies are guilty of selling kits and not supplying parts right away.

It is by far HPI's best effort for a touriing car. I'm pleased with mine. Just need parts.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Wyd,

I have a question about your Pro 4. Are you running on carpet, if so could you post your setup for me thanx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.